• ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Short version of my story:

Four years ago I got stupid and was picked up for a DWI. I most certainly became educated over the entire ordeal. Last year I hit the three year marker and was considered a "proper person" once again. On a Saturday I bought a rifle which was approved that day. The following Tuesday I attempted to purchase a hand gun was delayed then denied. Two weeks later I purchased another rifle which was approved that day. Then another week later I purchased another rifle which was delayed and then approved. I waited six months, then attempted the handgun again which was delayed and then approved.

I have done some research on here through the "search" option(yes, some of us do use that feature). My question is what do you all think, is the unique ID the way to go for me. From what I understand information is kept on file that would normally be "deleted" after the approval is finished. Is it worth have that info stored to make my transactions smoother. For those of you that have the unique ID does the checks become a for sure pass, or have you still had any trouble.

I have noticed that some gun shops will add a restocking fee if the NICS check is not approved and I don't want to have to deal with that. Fortunately the gun shop I use is a small shop, little to no inventory, and I have never been given an extra fee for the trouble I have had. But with the small amount of inventory, mostly you order in what you want. I most certainly do not want them stuck with a gun they ordered in for me that I can not have. Any input would be great. Thanks

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    In my opinion, small stores are MORE likely to have a restock fee, since they have very little inventory and having it tied up for a few days then not purchased could cause them to lose a customer or transaction that they could have otherwise had.

Regardless, I say yes. When I look at the pros and cons of things like this (or my LTCH for instance) here is my thought process: You are registered, or otherwise have some damning evidence to the government that you own guns, maybe even what guns you own. Not a happy thought, however, if they use that information against you in some way (say prosecuting a crime) foul play can be called in this instance, since NICS is anonymous (sort of, and no foul play for volunteered databases, such as LTCH). If the government is using it to do something worse, like ban that particular gun and seek out owners of it, lets be realistic. If you have a gun that the government bans, and they seek to take it back, are you going to withhold it and risk a felony? In principal you might say you are, but how many of us own illegal MGs or even illegal SBRs? The truth is, I (and nearly all of us) like being free and out of prison. Lastly, if the government was banning ALL guns. Very much not a happy thought, and probably not a realistic one. Even still, you have to assume that they would be breaking all the rules anyways. Yes, you would be at the top of the list for being easy, but in reality they would be looking at EVERYTHING. Areas where ammo sold heavily, etc. You would lose out in the end regardless.

Get the ID. It will save you from hassle now, and you will assume little to no risk.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I always got delayed until I sent in my VAF application so they could keep my info on file. A week ago I got my first go ahead without a delay... So it's worth it

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've seen a customer with a UPIN get delayed once. He wasn't especially happy (particularly since he'd purchased a gun just a few days earlier and is a retired LEO). After he made a few irate few phone calls to the FBI, the proceed came through.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Short version of my story:

Four years ago I got stupid and was picked up for a DWI. I most certainly became educated over the entire ordeal. Last year I hit the three year marker and was considered a "proper person" once again. On a Saturday I bought a rifle which was approved that day. The following Tuesday I attempted to purchase a hand gun was delayed then denied. Two weeks later I purchased another rifle which was approved that day. Then another week later I purchased another rifle which was delayed and then approved. I waited six months, then attempted the handgun again which was delayed and then approved.

I have done some research on here through the "search" option(yes, some of us do use that feature). My question is what do you all think, is the unique ID the way to go for me. From what I understand information is kept on file that would normally be "deleted" after the approval is finished. Is it worth have that info stored to make my transactions smoother. For those of you that have the unique ID does the checks become a for sure pass, or have you still had any trouble.

I have noticed that some gun shops will add a restocking fee if the NICS check is not approved and I don't want to have to deal with that. Fortunately the gun shop I use is a small shop, little to no inventory, and I have never been given an extra fee for the trouble I have had. But with the small amount of inventory, mostly you order in what you want. I most certainly do not want them stuck with a gun they ordered in for me that I can not have. Any input would be great. Thanks

i never knew that a DWI could make you an improper person. could you show me where i can find the info? i i dont see anything on the FBI website.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had my ID stolen, had to get a UPIN, never been delayed using it, except for the goof in the pawn shop who didn't seem to know what is was! Of course you don't need a PIN here on INGO, just make sure you have a LTCH, and a DL and you are good to go for most of these guys!

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    45calibre...

The FBI bounced back to Indiana Code and cited:
    IC 35-47-1-2
    "Alcohol abuser"
    Sec. 2. "Alcohol abuser" means an individual who has had two (2) or more alcohol related offenses, any one (1) of which resulted in conviction by a court or treatment in an alcohol abuse facility within three (3) years prior to the date of the application.

So to answer your question one DWI will not disqualify you, but one DWI(2007) and a Minor in possession(2006) will. Guess I had to learn the real life lesson the hard way, good thing I learned the lesson tho I enjoy my firearms.

Top Bottom