• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Background information: I work in the center of downtown approximately 15 miles away from my home.

My parking garage is approximately 50 yards from door to work.

In a worst case scenario, I would like to keep a long gun in my trunk because a handgun might not suffice to get me home.

What sort of trunk gun do you keep with you?

How do you keep it secure?

Is there such a thing as a safe or gun cabinet that can be mounted inside a trunk?

I have a functions WASR that I love but don't have much invested in, would you keep this in your trunk?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Background information: I work in the center of downtown approximately 15 miles away from my home.

My parking garage is approximately 50 yards from door to work.

In a worst case scenario, I would like to keep a long gun in my trunk because a handgun might not suffice to get me home.

What sort of trunk gun do you keep with you?

How do you keep it secure?

Is there such a thing as a safe or gun cabinet that can be mounted inside a trunk?

I have a functions WASR that I love but don't have much invested in, would you keep this in your trunk?

I used to have a AK-47 under my rear seat, but I figured that would freak-out the police, So now I have a MAVRICK 88 12 GAUGE shotgun, that way the po-po won't have to worry about me:twocents:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gosh. You guys are.. hardcore.

I havent yet felt the need for rifles in the trunk, or toting around a safe in my back seat.

My CCW I can explain to the police, an unsecured AK in the trunk........

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What's wrong with carrying your EDC and maybe a BUG, with extra ammo in your vehicle?

Do you really NEED to keep a long gun in your vehicle?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I havent yet felt the need for rifles in the trunk, or toting around a safe in my back seat.

I forgot to mention, I also carry two 25 round boxes of #4 shot for the shotgun & 100 rounds of 9 MM for my CZ-75 handgun:yesway:

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana

:dunno: i don't understand this statement...you don't have to explain to anyone why you have an unsecured AK in your trunk.:ar15:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield

Yes there is. <- This link is for real.

The following picture of how I store my trunk gun is not:

Subyguns.jpg

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Why would feel the need to explain the AK? If it is in your trunk, they will not see it unless you show it to them. Repeat after me...Officer, I do not consent to a search of my person or my vehicle. Just keep saying that until they stop trying to violate your rights and leave.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I forgot to mention, I also carry two 25 round boxes of #4 shot for the shotgun & 100 rounds of 9 MM for my CZ-75 handgun:yesway:

Dont take this the wrong way, I am not "Anti-Shotgun in the back seat" or anything, I am just trying to get the mindset.

I can think of 3 reasons someone would need a gun while in the car.

1. Someone else is trying to kill you.

2. You are trying to kill something.

3. You have the sudden urge to shoot skeet with #4 shot. :)

So....

Number 1. If someone is trying to kill you, do you think you will have time to get to your shotgun? How will you explain being able to deploy a shotgun in self defense to the court, instead of using your CCW? Not to mention the 100+ rounds of 9mm and 50 shotgun rounds.

Number 2. I imagine, if you are a farmer or something, and some coyote needs killing as you drive past your 80 acres... but these days thats pretty unusual.

Number 3. Wrong shot size :)

In my opinion, the way things sit at this moment, here in Indiana, having an excess of firearms and ammunition in your vehicle is more of a liability than a benefit. I REPEAT, this is not because of the excess of liability, but more from the limited BENEFIT it would provide.

Again, just my :twocents:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    :dunno: i don't understand this statement...you don't have to explain to anyone why you have an unsecured AK in your trunk.:ar15:

by unsecured I mean "tossed in the trunk floppin around".

I dont treat my guns like that, dont know about you. They have nice gun cases.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I don't have a truck on my F-250, So i keep it under the rear seat:D

Ah, ok well thats different :) I had a completly different mental picture, of a guy trying to extricate a shotgun from the trunk of a Civic.

"HOLD ON MR. CARJACKER, I JUST HAVE TO POP THE TRUNK, GET OUT AND RUN AROUND HERE...."

All has been made clear to me now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you're in a situation where you NEED to get your long gun out of your trunk, well, you probably would be a hell of a lot smarter to get in the drivers seat instead. And drive the hell outta there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like RealTree is thinking more when SHTF.

If it is really in the trunk, then it is already "secure". Well, as secure as anything else. I'd just keep it in a hard-sided case, to keep it from getting beat up. Keep ammo in a small ammo box.

If your trunk can be accessed from the car's interior (remote release or fold-down seats), you might want a lockbox in the trunk.

Here are some examples:
    CHIEF > Vehicle Equipment > Gun Racks/Locks

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think leaving guns in cars is generally a bad idea, and shouldn't be done if it can be avoided. Guns belong under the direct control of the owner where they can do some good if needed. :twocents:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I use twin 50 cal machine guns on mine. Then I can use my car to aim instead of having to play with a dinky rifle... Makes sense.

death-race-20080603111624631-000.jpg

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    @iwearcowboyboots - you've got too many guns back there... can I just take a couple off your hands? Aw shucks, no harm in asking.

Top Bottom