• Favorite NW Indiana DNR range?

• Total voters

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    What's everyone's favorite DNR range in the NW Indiana area and why?
    I've only been to Willow Slough myself and have been wondering about the other 3 in the general area.

Feel free to post any experiences you've had at any of these ranges.
    You'll most likely aid in my next pick of where to shoot! :D

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    It has been 20 years since I've been to Willow Slough, but from everything I hear from people at INGO it is the worst range in the state.

My exact reason for this thread, honestly. I've been there twice during the last year or so and wasn't too impressed with the ranges or RO on hand on either occasion. Hoping to hear about some better ones..

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I have no problem at any of these ranges......................I feel the state of Indiana has the right to regulate these ranges as they see fit...if you don't like it.................go someplace else.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Jasper-Pulaski, hands down. It's free. The RO is usually not retarded. The lines are regulated by the shooters. I don't have to worry about an idiotic RO trying to finger**** my firearms.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Kingsbury is one of the nicest ranges in the state.As far as the range officer's they are trying to keep every one safe and accident free.From the times i have gone their my experiences, yours might vary.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    I have no problem at any of these ranges......................I feel the state of Indiana has the right to regulate these ranges as they see fit...if you don't like it.................go someplace else.

They do.

Do you think I'm trying to bash or something? I've never had a problem at Willow Slough.. Just simply trying to see if the other FWA ranges are better or not and for what reasons. Stating I wasn't impressed or that I'm looking for someplace else to shoot doesn't necessarily constitute bad-mouthing.

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I'm about 20 minutes away from JP. It suits me just fine. Never had a problem there. Take a picnic lunch and make a day of it. Haven't been to any of the others, so I can't comment on those.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    As far as the range officer's they are trying to keep every one safe and accident free.

I agree and definitely respect that. I think it's needed with some of the people you see out at a public range every now and then. Some can be a little more considerate and helpful than others though.. and I've heard horror stories of things like this happening with some:
    I don't have to worry about an idiotic RO trying to finger**** my firearms.

:n00b:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I hate the slough range, I think people from IL ruined it. It used to be on par with JP. In fact, until they put the shack in the middle and hired the two grumpy geezers, I don't recall ever really seeing anyone from the DNR there. I started going to JP exclusively because it got to the point that WS was always busy. Couple years later I checked out WS again and they had all the new covered benches, the geezer shack, and new rules. Got b**ched at for a couple shots that didn't have a full second between them(I understand why they have no rapid fire rules, but they're crazy about it), never went back. Now JP is starting to get really busy sometimes too. Went to Winamac one time just for that reason. There were probably less than 10 people there on a Sunday. It's a nice range, but a bit far to drive. If I'm gonna go that far, I might as well run out to Kingsbury.

Kingsbury is great if you have a Mosin Nagant carbine, btw :D

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    I've only been to two, JP and Kingsbury and was pleased with both.
    JP seemed to be less crowded and the people seem to regulate themselves respectfully.
    I'm not saying Kingsbury people couldn't, it's that Kingsbury has a regulated PA system with a routine; it seemed to work well just the same.
    My :twocents:.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I hear that only the most gorgeous women shoot at Jasper Polaski in NWI. I have photographed a few fine ladies there.

IMG_0314.jpg

0716001153a.jpg

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Only been to WINAMAC so can't comment on the other ones. Have read on this board all sort of horror stories about WS. Not likely the idea that you have to pay at Kingsbury but then again I have read it is a nice range. JP seems to be the ideal place if you are going just to shoot. Back up your vehicle on the range, pop open your trunck, shoot your stuff and load back up real quick.

For me driving to all of these is a long drive so I wanna make it a whole day event and thus why the MEET & SHOOTs are done at Winamac so we can shoot, eat/cook, and enjoy having the whole range to our group.

Speaking of which the next MEET & SHOOT is this sat!

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

General NWI Status Update Thread (Subscribe to it):
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post.html

UPCOMING EVENTS
    NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT - SAT 28 MAY 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...wi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_sat_28_may_2011_a.html

Appleseed June 25-26 @ Norther Porter County, IN
    2011 North Porter County, IN Appleseed Information

Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ne_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    They do.

Do you think I'm trying to bash or something? I've never had a problem at Willow Slough.. Just simply trying to see if the other FWA ranges are better or not and for what reasons. Stating I wasn't impressed or that I'm looking for someplace else to shoot doesn't necessarily constitute bad-mouthing.
    Not trying to bash anything or anyone.......................................I hear tons of bashing about range officers....the state runs these places and they are free except Kingsbury and I follow the rules. Where in Illinois is a free state run gun range?

#1 Kingsbury
    #2 Willow Slough
    #3 Jasper
    #4 Winamac

I go to all of them depending on my mood.....there only a hair's difference to me.:rockwoot:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Even when I lived in South Holland(Cook County) as a kid, my dad took me to JP or WS. There probably weren't any others within a reasonable distance in IL. Maybe once you get past Kankakee? But that's a hike.

Top Bottom