Can railroad ties be used as a backstop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I built a small range about 25 years ago using a large stack of rail-road ties as a backstop, worked fine for handgun calibers & .22LR for awhile.

The problem was that the rail-road ties eventually "shot through" after repeated hits to the same general area.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I would think that using the ties to make a 3 sided structure to fill with sand would be a great option.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    They will be behind dirt for the most part. I am more concerned with ricochet then shooting through. I will have a 7 foot high wall of ties behind a huge pile of dirt. I used a skid loader to dig into the ground 4 feet below. I guess I should have asked, will a 9mm bounce off of a tie in the event I have a very off day?

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Not quite what you had in mind but a very effective backstop using railroad ties to hold up a ricochet / shrapnel shield / roof. (7 total)

0717011314.jpg

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I know that .38 spl. 148 gr wadcutters will bounce back. You can see them coming and hear them as they pass you. I've been hit by them several times. They only hurt when they hit me in the head or hands. Try some tires. Removed from the wheel of course. You get that slingshot effect.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    My buddy's place has a railroad tie 3 sided structure back filled with dirt. Works awesome and has taken 1000's of rounds.

you can see it in this video ( oh yeah it has taken some tannerite blasts too)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkQkutVoeAM[/ame]

Top Bottom