• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Does anyone know of any place way out in the country where nobody would notice if you were shooting? Serious question.

I always see on Youtube people shooting out in the middle of nowhere. I was wondering if anyone knows any sites like this near central Indiana? Something with a strong natural backstop.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think it is safe to say that no matter how far out and vacant the land is, it is still owned by someone therefor making it private property. There are many people that have the privelage of having plenty of land to shoot on.

Personally I would never just show up somewhere and treat it like my personal range. I know a few people that are able to shoot on other people's land, but they have permission from the property owner.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    if you don't have anywhere to shoot you should google gun ranges and go to the ones near you. most will let you plant some lead for $5.00 or so. I do not recommend driving around until you find what you think looks good and letting fly. Those desolate shacks city boys see, we call homes and what you might call wasteland we call yards.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I always used to drive down to Morgan Monroe State Forest and go shooting. Just this past weekend I was shooting my Mosin and AK-47 down at lake Monroe, but I was camped on public ground (not a campground). I think Lake Monroe is about the only lake that allows that (camping in areas other than an official campground). In either case of course it's important to know your surroundings and your backstop.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you don't want to pay for range time, either make friends with someone with quite a bit of land or keep it at a DNR range. The DNR range near me is all paper targets (bring your own) or clays (bring your own). I do see some people shooting pop cans and it annoys me a bit because they usually just leave them. That brings us to the last point. Regardless of where you shoot, leave it looking nicer than when you showed up.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You can typically shoot in National Forests, like the Hoosier National Forest that is spread all across southern IN in bits and pieces. So maybe if you put your location in your profile so we can see where you're from we could help you out on your request. Do NOT just drive out to a piece of property that "looks public" and start shooting. I assure you, that you cannot tell the difference between public and private land just by looking at it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I always used to drive down to Morgan Monroe State Forest and go shooting. Just this past weekend I was shooting my Mosin and AK-47 down at lake Monroe, but I was camped on public ground (not a campground). I think Lake Monroe is about the only lake that allows that (camping in areas other than an official campground). In either case of course it's important to know your surroundings and your backstop.

Target shooting is not allowed on State Forest Property except for established ranges. It is also important to know the regulations.

DNR: Forestry FAQs

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    That public land you see in youtube videos is generally going to be out west (http://www.famguardian.org/Subjects/LawAndGovt/ChallJurisdiction/map-owns_the_west.jpg). Indiana does not have much nor do most states east of the Rockies.

Why do you need to shoot public land in the middle of nowhere? My thought process is if am going to spend $10-50+ dollars on ammo, and a few more bucks for gas for a trip to the range, why not spend $5-10 for the use of the facility as well?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I always see on Youtube people shooting out in the middle of nowhere.

Those people are taking advantage of taxpayer land. It's ours and I guess we let them use it.:dunno:

You will not find BLM land in Indiana. We have to pay our own way here.:ingo:

There are no public lands managed by the BLM in Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. Selling Public Land

Top Bottom