Cops Raid IUSB class for report of handgun!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Cops check IUSB class for report of handgun!!!

Well I'll start from the beginning. Today i got up at 7:00am for classes and all went well after class I went to work where I'm encouraged to carry a handgun. After work I had class at 9:55pm where the fun begins. After work I disarm and for ease of not having to change belts and because I support gun right with my dying breath I wear my empty holster around campus but its usually covered by my shirt.

Anyway after entering the class and sitting with one of by buddies, class began as usual until about 10 min in when I notice 2 or 3 cops passing by the door.

It's funny because when I saw em I whispered in my buddies ear "their here for me some one can't handle an empty holster." or something to that extent.

After a few seconds pass we hear a rap on the door and my instructor is called out. I wait knowing... 30sec or so later 2 cops are pointing at me and motioning for me to come out. I was sitting in the front row so wasn't a big deal. After leaving the room I put my hands up shoulder height so as not to give them any reason to think I'm gona pull a gun on em. Surprisingly enough they were real cool. They said I didn't have to do that and said there was a call from someone saying I was carrying a firearm. I said that I was at work and that I carried there and that I wasn't armed. They said it was fine and not to worry I wasn't doing anything wrong they just had to follow up on the call and they left that fast.

Was funny but annoying at the same time since I was in sociology and we were talking about stereo types and bell curves saying the majority of ppl are stereotyped but there are always the outsiders that don't follow the stereotype. I made the comment that It's funny how 99.9% of gun owners never commit a gun crime but they are all stereotyped as killers. He explained that that we were talking about individuals or something, but he seemed to agree. Anyway the rest of class went as usual.:rockwoot:

Edit: After the cops got there 6 ppl or so came into the room, I'm guessing someone saw my holster and got their friends to boogie out with em but I'm not completely sure.

Last edited:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lame-O scaredy cats. Kudos to u for staying cool, calm, and collect. At least the cops weren't d***s about it...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    WHOA!

Sounds like quite a "RAID"! I think you may have a blossoming career in news reporting.

Edit: I apologize for the non-purple sarcasm but would also like to point out you forgot all references to "JBTs" and "violations of your rights".

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Enforce the policy of the institution... and most likely get the OP expelled?
    :dunno:
    By "enforcing the policy" I'm assuming you are talking about a trespass at some point? LE by definition is supposed to "enforce the law" and not policy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Silly thing is, someone that intends to do harm will not let you see the gun until it is being used against you. People are freaking whack.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    By "enforcing the policy" I'm assuming you are talking about a trespass at some point? LE by definition is supposed to "enforce the law" and not policy.

I don't think they could even do that, the only thing that keeps students and employees from carrying is the threat of the policy. If you are none of those then you can carry on campus it's not illegal, nor is it private property (in this case). I'm thinking the best they could do is "tell on him" if he was carrying. At least they acted like they new it was a waste of time for them to be there and weren't all "tactical". OP handled it well I would be afraid my snide snarky side may have had something to say to the losers coming back to class but it could have just been a coincidence.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't think they could even do that, the only thing that keeps students and employees from carrying is the threat of the policy. If you are none of those then you can carry on campus it's not illegal, nor is it private property (in this case). I'm thinking the best they could do is "tell on him" if he was carrying. At least they acted like they new it was a waste of time for them to be there and weren't all "tactical". OP handled it well I would be afraid my snide snarky side may have had something to say to the losers coming back to class but it could have just been a coincidence.
    I believe you are correct. In this instance all the Officers could really do is check to make sure the OP was legal to carry if indeed he was carrying. It would then be up to the University to enforce their own policy of expulsion.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Uhhh, he'd be breaking the law if that was the case.

When did carrying a handgun get legalized on campus?

It's never been illegal to carry on campus. K-12 is illegal, but once you enter college you get to wear your big boy pants and make your own decisions. ;)

While most colleges have rules against carrying and a student can be expelled for doing so, it is not against the law.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    As soon as I saw sociology I said Wiekamp. Most of the campus police are really nice guys so no surprise that it was handled well. As some have already stated it isn't illegal to carry at IUSB just against policy for students and staff to do so. Glad all went well.

Top Bottom