• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I searched for this and didn't see it so I trust it is not a dup..

Extreme Sexism At Walmart: Woman Can’t Buy Big Guns

I am outraged at how a Hoosier woman was treated by a Walmart in Clarksville, IN. Prayse Dangler, who is married to a solider, was worried about protecting herself when her husband was out of town. She went to Walmart, with her husband, to buy a shotgun.

The Firearm Blog » Extreme Sexism At Walmart: Woman Can’t Buy Big Guns

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    This definitely isn't right. Even though I hope things like this get sorted out, I hope they did at least go to a different store and purchase the shotgun they wanted.

What bugs me is from how it sounds, do you think that he would have sold her a handgun if she wanted to purchase one? (i'm not even sure if walmart sells handguns)

It does seem like it was more of a sexist thing instead of a "petite woman" kind of thing.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Uh-oh!

I'll bet somebody is gonna' get yelled at!

I wonder if the dope in question is the only guy at that store with a FFL. Anybody know how that works in a WalMart? :dunno:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I know that straw purchases are illegal but is a woman buying a gun for her husband considered a straw purchase anyway? I was under the impression it was not illegal for a spouse. I know it is legal for a parent to buy their child a gun.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    You are legally entitled to buy a firearm as a gift to any person you want as long as they are legally capable of passing a background check and can own a gun. The caveat is that you have to use your own money to do so. If you use their money, then you are not purchasing it for yourself to give as a gift to them, you are purchasing it for them in their place. Small but significant detail.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    But straw purchases are clearly made for felons. Read up the law. Me and dad have gone to gunstores, he hands me the guns, I pull out the money, and he fills the paperwork out. Buying a gun for someone isn't illegal.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    New Albany does not have guns, only the Clarksville one does.

And I'm calling BS on this one. I'm there all the time buying ammo and the 2 older guys that work that counter are the nicest guys there.

I have watched them both sell guns, one a shotgun and one a AR to 2 women before. They never acted like what this woman is claiming.

I just don't see it happening.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    New Albany does not have guns, only the Clarksville one does.

And I'm calling BS on this one. I'm there all the time buying ammo and the 2 older guys that work that counter are the nicest guys there.

I have watched them both sell guns, one a shotgun and one a AR to 2 women before. They never acted like what this woman is claiming.

I just don't see it happening.

I second this. I'm in and out of there all the time and am familiar with one of these fellows. I have seen this guy working with all sorts of people. He's a good guy. I'm going to get in there and see what I can find out.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I just sent a formal complaint to the corporate office about this story. I mentioned that there is a Meijer not far from me and that we will probably start shopping there more because of this story. I lived jn Michigan for awhile and had met Fred Meijer several times before his death. Let's hope that company does't go the way WalMart did after Mr. Walton's death...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My husband is furious that my rights as a woman to lawfully purchase a sturdy home defense weapon, were trampled by this sexist man simply because the gun looked like too much for me! And I'm horrified that this man made me out to be some criminal for wanting to purchase a gun myself simply because he thought my husband should be the one filling out the papers! After being judged in that way I didn't feel comfortable purchasing ANYTHING from him and will be taking my business elsewhere."

Her husband is furious, but she's not?????

Her rights weren't trampled as the retailer clearly has the right to refuse to sell.

And that's how it works Ms. Dangler. Vote with your wallet.

IF it happened as the linked material describes, she has cause for indignation to be sure. But no rights were trampled and she can just as easily walk into another gun store and make a purchase where her business will be appreciated. And IF it happened as the linked material describes, the individual behind the counter at that Walmart is an asshat for sure. But the world is full of them. Whatcha gonna do? Blow a gasket over every one?

I see this as a mountain being made out of a molehill.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Gotta tell ya, if a lady came into a store to purchase a firearm for her hubby who was also present, I would think that it would be entirely appropriate to have the hubby fill out the forms since it is going to be his. I know a former FFL who was put out of business by the ATF for selling firearms to the wife of a man who turned out to be a convicted felon.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You are legally entitled to buy a firearm as a gift to any person you want as long as they are legally capable of passing a background check and can own a gun. The caveat is that you have to use your own money to do so. If you use their money, then you are not purchasing it for yourself to give as a gift to them, you are purchasing it for them in their place. Small but significant detail.

Guy at Bradis gave me a ration over this very issue. I was buying a pistol for my GF and he told me I couldn't do that because it's a straw purchase. He wasn't interested and told me he wouldn't sell it to me/us even after I suggested he NICS both of us if it'd make him feel [STRIKE]superior[/STRIKE] safer.

Finally somebody with a little more common sense walked over and finished the sale. Not dissing Bradis, just thought I'd mention the name so that people understand that even the good guys can have an off day.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not.

Top Bottom