• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Hi there! I am new to the forums but not to shooting. I am wondering if there are any private property owners that have a place to shoot that is "private"? The reason that I ask is because I have been hearing that in some places nosy neighbors have been reporting people shooting, or just cleaning their weapons outside! I have a small place to shoot now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has a place they wouldn't mind sharing. Plus it is always nice to shoot with new people!

Thanks!

Matt

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why you would even consider a 50BMG at a 100 yard range is beyond me!

I was at Hillside one day a couple years ago and a fellow was shooting an Armalite AR-50 at 100 yards. I watched for awhile and he asked if I wanted to shoot for a while. He was shooting up some 1957 surplus ammo so he could reload the brass. Like you said a .50 bmg round at 100 yards is a waste, but then he WAS getting his brass for reloading.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hillside Range at Roanoke is a private range where you can shoot by the hour or on a daily basis. They do allow anyone to shoot but you have to sign in and have a range safety officer present.

Young's Longshot Range up by Wolcotville is a 1,000 yard range with a heated clubhouse. They have drop-down windows so you can sit inside in the winter and stay nice and warm while shooting. They have steel plates every 50 yards out to 1,000 yards. They have pistol targets and rimfire targets. They require an annual membership or you can shoot as a guest if you know one of the members.

Roush Range as mentioned above is a public range, but it is well supervised. The range is only 100 yards, but all the lanes are covered and sheltered from the wind. Roush is a great place to go to sight in a new weapon or while working up new hand loads.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hillside is my favorite too, but Roush is not bad for sighting in and shooting paper.

Also Fort Wayne Rifle and Revolver is located in Harlan and is a nice range (out to 300yds I believe) that hosts competitions on a regular basis. Membership required at FWR&R.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I think that I may have not explained myself very well. I am looking for a club or a group of people that shoot on private property. I do visit most of the "public" ranges, I'm looking for like minded shooters that have their own place to shoot. The private property where I shoot now is kind of limited on space, and the neighbors are not "close" but I would like not worry about bothering people. Thanks for the replies!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think that I may have not explained myself very well. I am looking for a club or a group of people that shoot on private property. I do visit most of the "public" ranges, I'm looking for like minded shooters that have their own place to shoot. The private property where I shoot now is kind of limited on space, and the neighbors are not "close" but I would like not worry about bothering people. Thanks for the replies!

EEL River Gun Club, Southwest Conservation Club, Ossion conservation Club, Bluecreek, FWRR, the conservation club in Churubusco. There are more, but they don't come directly to mind.

All these clubs are private property. The property belongs to the individual club and once you join, you are now an owner of the property. None of these clubs are open to the public except on match days.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the list slough. Ossian would be nice as i'm from the area. I'll look into a private range soon. But was kind of wanting to shoot tomorrow.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for the list slough. Ossian would be nice as i'm from the area. I'll look into a private range soon. But was kind of wanting to shoot tomorrow.

maybe too late, but I was at FWRR today to zero a Mini-14 I got in trade yesterday. I would be happy to have you as a guest on our range one day if our schedules can mesh.....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the OP is looking to shoot on someone's own personal private property. I could be wrong but that's the way I'm reading the OP. :dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think the OP is looking to shoot on someone's own personal private property and not a private gun club. I could be wrong but that's the way I'm reading it. :dunno:

You are probably right. I don't know. I know of a guy that has a 200 yard range out of his back deck. He has always told me I am welcome to shoot off his deck, but he wouldn't be happy if I showed up with an unknown person at his front door. I know this to be a fact.

Under your theory, the OP is trying to join an "inner circle" of shooting friends to shoot on someone's property.

The best way to get to there, IMO, to be part of an inner circle, is to hang out with shooters and campaign for the invitation. Until the OP acquires those friends, I would be more than happy to share my private range with him, FWRR, if we can mesh our schedules.

Heck, my invite goes out to anybody who wants to shoot out to 300 yards on a private range

Top Bottom