Do you know anyone who went shooting and did NOT like it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Seems like its impossible to find anyone who doesnt actually enjoy shooting (besides a few certain circumstances I can understand). Maybe liberals? :dunno:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Seems like its impossible to find anyone who doesnt actually enjoy shooting (besides a few certain circumstances I can understand). Maybe liberals? :dunno:
    I've never took a woman out that didnt like shooting! Ive never took a dude out shooting and the only dude on my list to take out shooting is my 2yo son when he can lift a rifle! :rockwoot: He needs to keep eating those wheaties...im getting old and gonna need some help getting downed deer out of the woods!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Many people who went shooting with people who were not responsible gun owners actually had a bad experience.

Either they shot a gun that was too big of a caliber for a first time shooter, with too much recoild and noise.
    They shot without eye and ear protection and got hurt.
    Shot themselves or got shot because someone didn't follow the 4 safety rules.
    Shot at a target too far away (25 yards and more) and didn't hit anything, therefore didn't have any fun shooting.
    Etc ....

If you do things RIGHT (small caliber gun, safety instructions, eye and ear protection, close range target, patient instructor etc) people with have a great time at the range for their first time.
    If you do things WRONG it's very easy to give that person a really bad impression and scare them away from guns for the rest of your life.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    My ex-wife remained very apathetic to shooting. That was a big step, though, considering she started with a very liberal anti-gun way of thinking. She at least went from "hate" to "neutral" after shooting.

She got her handgun permit at one point, but mostly to shut me up, and never carried and then let it expire.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yep, 1983 took my wife into the Nevada desert and handed her my S&W Mdl 37 Airweight to shoot, (her first time) she shot the thing once, didnt like it, and it toiok me untill last month to get her to try a Intratec Protec .25 I got her, and a Glock-26, she could use. Now she wants to go shooting again.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne

There's a video on here somewhere of a guy shooting himself in the leg with a .45 ACP while doing a quick draw. He didn't sound too happy at all and I don't think he enjoyed it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes, My sister-in-law.

She is conservative in everyway except when it comes to guns, then its like she fell of the Hillary bandwagon.

We finally convinced her to shoot my brother's .38 revlover and my Sig P228. She shot each of them once then started yelling about how guns are stupid and shouldnt be allowed in the hands of anyone, and went inside.

I still think she kinda hates me bc I talked her into shooting an "evil gun". Oh well.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There's a video on here somewhere of a guy shooting himself in the leg with a .45 ACP while doing a quick draw. He didn't sound too happy at all and I don't think he enjoyed it.

You are talking about Tex Grebner. He is still a fan of firearms, although he shared that video to help educate others about the risks involved. That said, I would consider it malpractice to introduce someone to firearms via quick draws, that is something you should do with training/experience, not as an intro.

Original Discussion
    One Year Later

I've introduced/reintroduced six people over the last year to firearms and always start with a safety rules and .22s. It is a very non-intimidating caliber and then I move them up to more serious firearms. Seems to work well.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, My sister-in-law.

She is conservative in everyway except when it comes to guns, then its like she fell of the Hillary bandwagon.

We finally convinced her to shoot my brother's .38 revlover and my Sig P228. She shot each of them once then started yelling about how guns are stupid and shouldnt be allowed in the hands of anyone, and went inside.

I still think she kinda hates me bc I talked her into shooting an "evil gun". Oh well.

Some folks just do not get it or they will not admit they could have been wrong on something.

I am always cautious about who I take shooting. This has given us good results and a few converts. My niece is a rabid shooter now after one day in the woods with us. She runs my AR's like she owns them............:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My wife. I had her shoot a .22 revolver just to see that she could. Her first target was scarey accurate. She wouldn't even try a larger gun and has never fired the .22 since. It's like she was showing me "I can do it as good as you....... You're still an idiot" she doesn't like it and she doesn't want them in the house. (Too bad, so sad)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Shooting guns is no more for everyone than anything else is. Some people don't like to drive, swim, post on forums, etc.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, ME! Last time I went to the range, I had jammed my fingers on my right hand, but thought they were getting better, fired a few heavy loads through my Super Red Hawk, and was in pain for several days after that. I'm all better now, and ready for another range trip!:D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The ONLY time I've ever seen someone go shooting and not like it, has been when someone who DOES enjoy it takes them, doesn't teach them any basics or practice before handing them gun which is too big, powerful, etc., etc. and afterwards it's completely turned them off from shooting. This is typically a man introducing a woman scenario IME.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I have taken several people shooting who'd never gone before, and never had anyone who didn't like it. In fact, going shooting with me has turned a couple of them from anti's to pro-2a. It is such a fun activity if done right. How can anyone not like it?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    The ONLY time I've ever seen someone go shooting and not like it, has been when someone who DOES enjoy it takes them, doesn't teach them any basics or practice before handing them gun which is too big, powerful, etc., etc. and afterwards it's completely turned them off from shooting. This is typically a man introducing a woman scenario IME.

^^^^^^ What he said :+1:^^^^^^

We see this ocassionally at ECPR, and sometimes are able to help out by loaning them a .22 when the ultra ultra compact 9 or 40 has just too much recoil.

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Many people who went shooting with people who were not responsible gun owners actually had a bad experience.

If you do things RIGHT (small caliber gun, safety instructions, eye and ear protection, close range target, patient instructor etc) people with have a great time at the range for their first time.
    If you do things WRONG it's very easy to give that person a really bad impression and scare them away from guns for the rest of your life.

Thats pretty close minded dude. Some people like football, others baseball, some cant tell the difference between the two.

Just because we enjoy shooting, we should not assume everybody will like it. If somebody does not like it, we should not assume they, or the person that took them did something wrong.

My wife loves books, i do not. A small book with simple text will not make the process of reading more enjoyable. The few books ive read that I REALLY enjoyed were still a struggle to finish.

Is that enough analogies? Different strokes for different folks.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    My wife is pretty "meh" about shooting. She doesn't have any qualms with firearms or anything, she just says that shooting guns isn't her thing. She has a bow she loves to shoot, and loves doing outdoorsy things but she always tells me she just doesn't really get into it.

That said, she does like shooting .22's, which leads me to believe she appreciates the sport of marksmanship and can see the fun in it, but doesn't like the recoil/percussion of my AK/handgun.

My parents on the other hand are absolutely anti-gun liberals, will not listen to any kind of reason, and refuse to let me take them shooting in a safe environment.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    The first time I went shooting, I HATED it. However, I have to blame the certain young (at that time) man who took me shooting. The knucklehead handed me his .357 with a hot load (I think it was black talons). The flame that came out of there scared me to death!! I almost dropped the gun (which he certainly deserved...but would have been hazardous to both our health!)

It took probably 5 years to get me back to the range, but he had learned his lesson by then I let me enjoy his .22 and .380. That time, I was hooked and have been loving shooting ever since...

but he's still a dork

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thats pretty close minded dude. Some people like football, others baseball, some cant tell the difference between the two.

Just because we enjoy shooting, we should not assume everybody will like it. If somebody does not like it, we should not assume they, or the person that took them did something wrong.

My wife loves books, i do not. A small book with simple text will not make the process of reading more enjoyable. The few books ive read that I REALLY enjoyed were still a struggle to finish.

Is that enough analogies? Different strokes for different folks.

I think you didn't get my post.
    I didn't say that everybody will like guns if you introduce them to guns the right way.
    I said that they will not like it if you introduce them the wrong way.That's not the same thing.

It's possible that they will not like it even if you do everything right, but it's pretty much impossible to like it if they get shot in the leg or lose one eye because they didn't wear eye protection.

Top Bottom