• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I'm pretty new to guns and since I have several small children in my home, I have a few questions that may seem like noob questions, but I'm sometimes over analytical.

I have a fingerprint safe for storage of my guns and ammo. The backup key (in case the batteries die) is always in my truck in the garage so that my children can't get into it (best deterrent that I can think of.)

I've often read that the guns and ammo should be stored separately, but I'm wondering why?

I've also read that the guns in the safe should be unloaded, and again, I ask why? (mostly asking because I do not know the answer to the question)

My logic (which may be flawed and is limited) states that if I'm forced to open the safe against my will, at least there's a loaded one in there that can be a last resort. I certainly don't want my ammo anywhere that my children may have access to it, so, should I get another safe for the ammo to keep it separate from the guns?

Any insight is much appreciated. I'm not worried about right or wrong, just wondering 'why' these things are recommended. I certainly want to be as safe as possible and these ideals had me wondering how I might be unsafe in my actions.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    All my guns are in my safe but 2. One "Nightstand" gun in the bedroom. The other resides in a hidden quick access safe. , All guns in the safe are empty, an added safety to avoid an accidential discharge. The ammo is with the reloading gear in another room, not visiable. I'm not a show & tell guy with my guns at home.I save that for the range. One component every Safe needs is Damp Rid, it removes moisture from the air.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you use a gun for home defense it should be loaded.
    If you own 50 guns that you only use for hunting or sport then no need to have those loaded at all time.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The only reason I can think of to have firearms in the safe unloaded would be because you do not want brass case ammo stores for long periods of time in your nice steel barrel. I have had a few cases start to corrode while in a revolver.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In some states or countries the law says that you have to keep the gun unloaded with ammo locked in another safe.
    Of course that sucks for self defense but like most gun laws they are stupid.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Daddymikey1975 (et alia),

Guns and ammo are generally stored separately for safety reasons. If young children get into the guns, it will be harder for an unsafe discharge. Note it is not impossible, but merely more difficult. Older kids this doesn't apply to.

Guns in the safe really should be unloaded.

The most common threat to a gun in a gun safe is NOT a criminal, it is FIRE! A gun safe is not going to keep the firearms in it cool, but rather may reach temperatures up to 350 degrees inside. You know what you call a lot of gunpowder in a hot, contained space? A bomb!

If your gun safe firearms are loaded rounds in the magazine could go off, destroying your firearm completely. In what could otherwise be minor damage, loaded becomes a total loss.

This is why anything you put in the safe should be able to survive 350 degrees. If it cannot, then don't expect it to survive a home fire. Not only that, but plastic could drip from a top shelf down on to your valuable firearms.

Hopefully temperatures will not remain high for long with a fast responding fire department, but if you live out in the sticks you may well want to invest in a longer lasting fire protection.

If you buy a safe check the UL rating on it. I did a lot of research on this and it looks like thousands of gun owners will spend good money just to "feel good" and are woefully under protected. Good protection costs good money unfortunately.

I bought an American Security gun safe and am happy with it. That said, I understand that it is not even UL15 rated, which means that Underwriters Laboratories was able to break into this model in LESS THAN 15 minutes! Still, it offers excellent protection and will keep the smash and grab idiots out. UL15 or UL30 protection will cost a pretty penny.

Even though I went with an AmSec safe, Liberty Safes are also well tested and have a special little box in them that does keep temperatures under 120 degrees, allowing for backup computer data and other materials to survive. If I recall it runs an extra $350 but may be worth it depending on your needs.

I hope this helps and good luck in finding what you need.

Regards,

Doug

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I would say the answers to your questions are dependent on a multiple variables.

If your EDC or bedside gun is in the safe in your bedroom, don't unload it. No need to fiddle with it everyday. On the other hand, I wouldn't store any gun loaded that wasn't intended for immediate self-defense deployment. I only load/unload those at the range or in the field.

As far as storing ammo, just make sure it is secure, in that safe or in another lockable container. I think the thought behind storing guns and ammo separately goes back to the days of gun racks and closet storage.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My EDC is also my bedside defense weapon. I don't load/unload it repeatedly unless I go to the range.

There's another gun in the safe locked/loaded for my wife as her EDC while she's home. She carries it around the house as needed but she doesn't have her LTCH yet. We don't load/unload it unless going to the range. There's also another gun or two that stay in the safe loaded and locked up with all my ammo. My supposition wsa to keep it all locked up away from my kids.

thanks for all the input.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    Firearms that I don't shoot often (when I get a safe, they'll go in it) I keep unloaded, mainly so that I don't unnecessarily stress the springs in the magazine. The nightstand 9mm and the shotgun in the corner are my home defense, the others are kept in a closet... until I get the extra cash for a safe. A BIG safe.

Top Bottom