• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I met a friend at the range yesterday so he could test fire his new AR. Some rounds would not fire, no indentations on the primer, or it would fail to feed. So, I had him try a different mag to eliminate that as the problem. It ran fine for a few rounds then started jamming again. Then, a case got stuck in the chamber, and the bolt would not move. So, I separated the upper from the lower. When I did, the buffer and buffer spring popped out. When I removed them, I saw that the buffer retainer was missing, and the retainer spring was laying in the trigger group. He had installed a sling adapter and when he replaced the buffer tube, he had overlooked it. When he got home, he found the retainer under a table. It goes to show, that you need to pay attention when working on your firearms.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Bet he never does that agin in. Oops. This is the kind of thing that really makes me glad I built my lower instead of bought a complete one. I'm confident that I would have been able to troubleshoot that particular problem and fix it on my own. Glad to hear he found the part and got the problem resolved.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Definitely one of those mistakes to learn from. I can't even begin to explain the mistakes I've made on some of my guns, and how much I've learned from it. It really helps to completely tear your guns down and learn each little piece and put it back together.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I built my lower as well and learned a lot from doing it that would have taken a while to understand had I not.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Definitely one of those mistakes to learn from. I can't even begin to explain the mistakes I've made on some of my guns, and how much I've learned from it. It really helps to completely tear your guns down and learn each little piece and put it back together.

youtube is your friend!!!! When i get stuck on something, seems like i can always find a youtube video about how to put it back together :):

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    glad he learned it in a safe environment, instead of his life being in danger. Always find a way to check your weapon. Also, I usually clean my weapon on a mat, so all the parts stay together, so IF a part strays, ill see it. Makes it easier when you have a spare part in a spot you can see to know its wrong.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have a drawer under my workbench for all the extra parts that are left over from breaking down and cleaning my guns. It's starting to get full too.

I Always Thinking. :):

Definitely knowing your guns inside and out is important.

I always wanted to dedicate a room in the house just for working on firearms that was totally empty except for a white worktable, floors and walls.

Ever loose a spring that you had to listen carefully to where it lands?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I met a friend at the range yesterday so he could test fire his new AR. Some rounds would not fire, no indentations on the primer, or it would fail to feed. So, I had him try a different mag to eliminate that as the problem. It ran fine for a few rounds then started jamming again. Then, a case got stuck in the chamber, and the bolt would not move. So, I separated the upper from the lower. When I did, the buffer and buffer spring popped out. When I removed them, I saw that the buffer retainer was missing, and the retainer spring was laying in the trigger group. He had installed a sling adapter and when he replaced the buffer tube, he had overlooked it. When he got home, he found the retainer under a table. It goes to show, that you need to pay attention when working on your firearms.

I had this exact same problem from a factory built Daniel defense gun.
    I had run enough rounds through it that the pin had actually worn down and wiggled out.
    My proof to DD was that the castle nut was still staked from their initial build.
    They replaced the receiver extension, pin and spring and reinstalled it all for me for free.
    I'm just glad I wasnt at a class the day it finally gave.
    I still love Daniel Defense

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    while i was overseas, ran into a couple contractors that did not know how to clear their weapons, had to show them, on their own weapons. Why go to a dangerous place with an unknown weapon. Scary

Top Bottom