• ...and so much more!
  • khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I am heading to Evansville this weekend to visit my daughter who just received her LTCH and was wondering which shops the locals thought the most of!

Thanks for the help!

:patriot: Happy Constitution Day!

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Thumbs up to Right to Bear Arms. Don't wast your time at the big box stores (Dicks and Gimme Money -- I mean Gander Mountain).

gn

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Whittaker, Whittaker, Whittaker, Whittaker Guns!!! You won't be able to bring a HANDgun back across state lines, but they have a guy in Evansville that picks up transfers every Saturday afternoon and transfers them on Sunday or through the week all for $20. They'll have the largest selection around.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Another +1 for Right to Bear Arms, great group in there. Up on west side of 41, as you r heading into Ft. Branch, if your watching, can't miss their sign.

Whittakers has huge selection, I personally will no longer do business there, have my reasons.

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    Whittaker's is good, but if you wanna buy a pistol then you have to get it transferred, yada yada yada. They do have a pretty good selection though. Definitely a supporter of Right to Bear Arms, great guys and decent prices, just not a huge selection. Meek's in Fort Branch is pretty good, but I have yet to go up there enough times to really get a feel for them.

I personally will not go to Strictly Shooting (for my reasons) and Rajo's isn't bad, if Stan is in a good mood (when he's there) and as long as it isn't packed.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Definitely a supporter of Right to Bear Arms, great guys and decent prices, just not a huge selection. Meek's in Fort Branch is pretty good, but I have yet to go up there enough times to really get a feel for them.

Both good shops too. I'd recommend them both, but neither comes close to the selection and price of Whittaker. I'd say Meek's has a better selection than RTB though.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Whittakers is number one in this area. Biggest selection by far. Great staff. You will have to wait for the transfer though. In town, you have Strictly (ehh) Rajos (alright) and Lock N Load in Newburgh.

jram47586

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    S. Indiana
    I like Dave's 's Gun Shop in Holland. Short drive and the ability to rent some guns before purchase. The workers there have always been nice and with a fairly decent amount of knowledge.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It honestly depends on what you are looking to do. If you just want to handle guns, to get an idea of what you may want to buy, then any place will do. Whittaker's would be the best place to go in order to see the widest variety of guns and ammo and just about everything else plus you can hit up Moonlite Barbeque there in Henderson to make for a quality afternoon out.

Right to Bear Arms is a quality little shop and if they expand they could easily have the area covered for everything this side of Whittaker's. Bucks and Jakes up between Booneville and Chandler has a good selection as well but again it all depends on what your goal at this point is.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Guns Unlimited on Covert. Very small shop and small selection but a super nice guy to talk too. I think his name is Gary?????

Very nice chap Gary, decent prices too.
    Rajo's on west Franklin isn't a bad shop and if you're up for a drive Dave's Gun Shop @ exit 54 on I-64 then north about 1 mile on highway 161 ( maybe 40 min from E-ville) has a nice selection and a good outdoor range with lanes from 25 -100yds with covered shooting stalls. Dave's opens at 7am E-ville time (Central) 7 days a week.
    Whittaker's is 10+ miles south west of Owensboro Ky, they do handgun transfers ,as stated by other posters, by a fellow in E-ville who picks the guns up on Sat and opens Sun to do the transfers . Whitt's does have an incredible selection and usually really good prices. Used guns whether long or handgun usually have the tax included in the price.
    If Whitt's price ends in .99 you pay tax if price ends in .00 tax is included in price.
    If you go to Whitt's Moonlight BBQ on Parrish Ave in Owensboro has an awesome buffet, great bbq meat , fine old fashion sides and southern desserts.

Last edited:

gunshop73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Evansville
    Unfortunately you will have to travel away from Evansville to get good selection,prices and customer service. Strictly Shooting does have an indoor range but their selection and service is subpar. Rajos is small and cluttered with high prices and grumpy customer service.Whittakers is the best shop in the area,in my opinion, the only problem is that it's 45 minutes away. Godspeed!

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I am heading to Evansville this weekend to visit my daughter who just received her LTCH and was wondering which shops the locals thought the most of!

Thanks for the help!

:patriot: Happy Constitution Day!

In addition to all the advice given above don't forget many of the shops mentioned such as Whittaker's, Rajo's ,Guns Unlimited and possibly others are closed Sunday. Whitt's can be quite crowded and hectic on Sat, be ready to bump elbows with the multitudes and hear the clatter of many guns being racked/cycled ( long guns being on customer accessible floor racks) if visiting there.
    Dave's and Bucks and Jakes are open Sunday and also Gander Mountain in Evansville. Gander is usually qute high on pricing .

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I have purchased guns from Guns Unlimited, Gary will go out of his way to get what you want, great guy, just small selection. Also have bought guns from Meeks. Great selection, friendly staff, especially the little cutie that helped me. :) All the above posts are pretty accurate. Take your pick.

Top Bottom