• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    My name is Grant Springer. I just turned 16 and I'm looking at purchasing an appropriate shotgun for the upcoming waterfowl seasons. I'm looking forward to puttin some canadas on the ground. I have the choice between getting a remington 870 express 3" with a 28" barrel. It has the standard laminate wood furniture and barrel finish. Or I can get a remington 870 express super magnum 3 1/2 inch with a 26 inch barrel and realtree camo. I like the corrosion resistance and shot capability of the 3 1/2 inch. The barrel finish and stock will help me out. My only problem is I don't know if I should go for the 3 inch with the longer barrel. I am planning on putting an extended choke on which ever gun I get to aid with patterns anyway. But I wanted to see what everyone else had to say about what their preference would be? Should I go for the longer barrel. Or more shot capability and corrosion resistance?

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Have long arms for your age/size?

Have you handled both? Comfort in shooting would be my first thoughts when buying anything for hunting.

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    I have handled both guns. I find that they are very comfortable when shouldering and weight isn't a problem to me.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Do you plan on cleaning immediately after every outing? If not, corrosion resistance would be paramount.

+/- 2" barrel length has never really been an issue for me, so I can only speak from that experience. And I would say you wouldn't notice much of a difference in your first new waterfowl gun.

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    A few months ago I purchase an old winchester model 200 sears from a gun show in LaPorte county. Since it is an old gun I really wouldn't like to use steel shot in it and the loads for it such as Kent Tungsten Matrix are 30 dollars a box. Since I had the money I thought I would try and find a nice steel shooting gun. Everyone That I have talked to said that the 870 was one of the best contenders because of price point. Which I was very concerned about.

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Most likely I will clean my gun after most outings. My main concern is how wet the gun is going to get. Earlier this month I went hunting canadas and The field we had to walk was soaking wet. I'm just extremely conscious about rust on my guns.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I always get confused with this but I believe that you can fire 3" shells out of the super mag as well as the 3 1/2". Unless I'm wrong that would give you more adaptability with the gun and could be a plus to getting the super mag. I think the only difference is that the shot won't reach the barrel at the same point. I assume that's a negligible performance change. Disregard if this is horsesh*t.

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    You're correct in saying that The 3 1/2 inch will fire 3". It will also fire 2 3/4 inch shells. The difference between the two is that a 3 1/2" contains more pellets or BB's than a 3 inch does. I liked the idea of being able to put more shot on target. I also like the fact that I can use any length of shell for load specific purposes.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You're correct in saying that The 3 1/2 inch will fire 3". It will also fire 2 3/4 inch shells. The difference between the two is that a 3 1/2" contains more pellets or BB's than a 3 inch does. I liked the idea of being able to put more shot on target. I also like the fact that I can use any length of shell for load specific purposes.
    Sounds to me like you could be answering your own questions and it seems to lean toward choosing the remington 870 express super magnum 3 1/2 inch with a 26 inch barrel and realtree camo. I can't see any reason why that would not be a solid choice to fit the wants and needs you are describing. :yesway:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If you want an alternative suggestion, I would suggest the Stoeger 3500. It is chambered for the 3.5" 12 ga., comes with a recoil reducer, and is priced right. My friend bought one at Bass Pro Shop for $241.00 cash out the door last year. However, he had about $300.00 worth of Bass Pro Gift Cards also.

The Stoeger has the similar "inertia driven" action that the Benelli has. Stoeger is owned by Benelli. No gas ports, etc. to worry about cleaning. Nor does the Stoeger have the Benelli price.

The fun is in the shopping.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    They are both good guns. I personally would go for the longer barrel. I feel that I swing a 28 smoother than a 26 on an 870. If they both feel good to you and you think you might regret not having 3.5 capabilities, get that one for sure.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't hunt anymore (71 yo) - just collect and target but if I were to go after Canadians, I would definitely go for the 3 1/2 in gun. Looking over the ammo selection at the local Rural King - most of the premium non-lead shot is in the 3 1/2" version. Geese have a pretty good coat of armor with their breast feathers. We always tried to get our shots with the birds going away, need all the range and power you can get to keep from just wounding the birds.

joe cool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I'd go with the 3.5" for the versatility. I picked up a Remington Spartan 453 about a year ago. It's a synthetic 3.5" semi-auto for around $350. Reviews are good and it seems to be built like a tank. The only downside to it is that I can't find a second barrel but when I brought it home it seemed like an ideal waterfowl gun between the chamber, the long barrel, the synthetic finish and the price.

If you're set on one of the 870s and the only thing keeping you from the 3.5" gun is barrel length you can always get a new barrel in the future if you think you need an extra inch or two but the bigger shells and tougher finish would be enough to sell me on the super mag.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Grant, I just sold an 1187 Remington special purpose auto-loader in camo. 30" barrel with a Kick's high flyer extended choke chambered in 3"
    It was a perfect fowl gun. Not on your list but something to consider.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    From my experience goose hunting, I would vote for the Super Mag. I currently waterfowl hunt with an 1187, and know what my two biggest complaints are? 1) it's only chambered in 3" and 2) it's not camo.

The 3 1/2" goose load is ideal. And, you can drop down to 3" if you want. Personally, I don't think you notice much difference in the barrel length.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Steel shot and geese, probably best to run BB or BBB and that mandates IMHO 3.5".
    I haven't tried any Black Cloud or Blindside though (those being non standard pellet shapes).
    Have run Bismuth 3" #2's and they work great, at longer distance too (than BBB 3.5"). But they are expensive $$$$$$

Killed a few geese with 21, 26, 28 and 30" barreled shotguns. 30" is hands down my fave.

I have a 30" 1100 Magnum Special Purpose for Bismuth goose killing. Honest 50 yard drop 'em like wet wash rags setup.
    Steel BBB at 35 left a lot of ground swat followups or chasing across pastures. IMHO steel (regular pellet shape) sucks.

I take that back.............it FRIGGIN' SUCKS!

Even little 6 steel and doves.........can be problematic. I dunno, grew up shooting lead and like the animals I shoot to die as fast as possible.
    Reg steel sucks in that regard (think I've said that before) ;)

My 870 Supermag 3.5" has a turkey bbl on it. I used it for dove and ran 50%. I shoot it OK, but would shoot it better with a longer bbl ;)

I'd rather get a 28" over a 26", dunno what is offered in 3.5".

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Get the 3 1/2 inch for geese
    Load 3 inch #2 and follow up with 3 1/2 inch BB for if you wing one. For ducks 3 inch #4 in my experience
    Learn to call well

Top Bottom