• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...ark-County-SWAT?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Shorty story: Clark County SWAT officer has private land, shoots there, has other officers shoot there. Got a letter saying he'd get fined if he continued operating a range, so he filed a formal proposal to have his land be a private range...so LEOs can train!

Clark County Zoning board denied his proposal.

Funny thing is the zoning board attorney basically says they're SOL in terms of enforcement if the good officer continues shooting on his land.

Plus this rather ominous tidbit:

Lemmons has the right to shoot on his property, but county officials ruled he must have a special-use permit if others will regularly be shooting there.

Last edited:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Those officers work hard and risk their lives to help others and they deserve a decent place to train, not to mention if is private property then he can do what he wants with it, if he wants to shoot with fellow officers and friends daily then that is his business and no one elses's. If a person pays for a price of land the. It is theirs, and they can do what they please with it.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Please keep shooting and file suit when anyone says anything. It makes me very angry that the board would even have the nerve to threaten him for perfectly legal actions on his own property!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Most likely brought to you by the same fascists that send the Lawn Police around the neighborhoods with rulers. We gave up the right to total ownership of anything when we let the "Politically Correct" crowd losers gain power.

In the Crap Hole town I HAD my auto repair shop in, I had the local PD come by and tell me that I was not aloud to have cars parked in their same spot for more than three days. And under no circumstances was I to have broken down cars outside. At an Auto Repair shop. On Private Commercial Property!!! Figure that one out. I about came unglued. And The Chief was the one to tell me. At least I knew him and got along with him, so he let me go off while not taking it personally.

Band together and Get those sorry Gits off the board. Worked for me.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Most likely brought to you by the same fascists that send the Lawn Police around the neighborhoods with rulers. We gave up the right to total ownership of anything when we let the "Politically Correct" crowd losers gain power.

In the Crap Hole town I HAD my auto repair shop in, I had the local PD come by and tell me that I was not aloud to have cars parked in their same spot for more than three days. And under no circumstances was I to have broken down cars outside. At an Auto Repair shop. On Private Commercial Property!!! Figure that one out. I about came unglued. And The Chief was the one to tell me. At least I knew him and got along with him, so he let me go off while not taking it personally.

Band together and Get those sorry Gits off the board. Worked for me.

I can't believe the stupidity in something like this. My response would have been " you do realize what a repair shop is?"

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I thought Marysville blew away in last year's tornado.

County zoning boards are notoriously chock full of busybodies who think their way is the only way. Who's going to enforce this against the landowner, the local sheriff's deputy? Oh, wait that's him.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    So how many people and how regularly must they shoot to be considered going from "just some guys shooting on private land" to a "shooting range"? If he wasn't making any money off of it, I don't see how they make the distinction. Would love to be enlightened on this.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Clark Co. Government is full of mouth breathing morons. We've elected some, seemingly, decent people, but when they take office, they sink to the bottom like all the rest. I studied the candidates for county council, and talked to just about all of them, all the guys I voted for got in, and quickly started making idiotic decisions, and raising tax rates.

I'm getting to be one of those guys that thinks "why bother".

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Those officers work hard and risk their lives to help others and they deserve a decent place to train, not to mention if is private property then he can do what he wants with it, if he wants to shoot with fellow officers and friends daily then that is his business and no one elses's. If a person pays for a price of land the. It is theirs, and they can do what they please with it.[/QUOTE]

Obviously Not!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm retired and not rich, but do have a few bucks put back. I've never sued anyone but if this happened to me I would let them try to enforce their ban then hire the best lawyer I could find and sue their pants off. I'd bet the NRA might be willing to help.
    Life member NRA
    FFL-03 license
    Gun collector for over 20 years.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My memory is a little sketchy here, but does Marysville even have a stoplight?
    It's not like the immediate area is densely populated.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For some reason I feel compelled to defend this particular officer. Afterall he is my buddy. Had dinner with Officer Lemmons on Saturday night. He is a martial arts instructor and spent time helping my 8 year son who is a Brown Belt with his forms. Bob is a very good man.

Clark County Zoning board denied his proposal.

Funny thing is the zoning board attorney basically says they're SOL in terms of enforcement if the good officer continues shooting on his land.

This is true. On record in fact. Bob is not breaking any ordinances in regards to shooting on the property or noise.

I hope that Officer practices on his own property... A LOT!!! :D

I am sure he will practice as much as he can. He is an excellent shooter and it takes discipline to maintain that proficiency.

I thought Marysville blew away in last year's tornado.

County zoning boards are notoriously chock full of busybodies who think their way is the only way. Who's going to enforce this against the landowner, the local sheriff's deputy? Oh, wait that's him.

Marysville was in fact heavily damaged. This property is not near the town.

Irony is that Officer Lemmons built the range to help local law enforcement agencies. The Sheriff's department actually wrote a letter in support of the project.

So how many people and how regularly must they shoot to be considered going from "just some guys shooting on private land" to a "shooting range"? If he wasn't making any money off of it, I don't see how they make the distinction. Would love to be enlightened on this.

:dunno: Seriously we don't have any idea where that line is. I could count the number of people who have even been to this range on my fingers. No money has been made. Zero, Zip, Nada.

My memory is a little sketchy here, but does Marysville even have a stoplight?
    It's not like the immediate area is densely populated.

Property is in a very rural area of the county. Below is an aerial picture of the property. There is nothing immediately behind it for miles. The horse guy lives to the NorthWest. He was the one in opposition. Interesting thing is that he is operating a business on his property.

image_zpsd5248731.jpg

I couldn't help reading some of the comments on the WDRB website. I will make a couple of comments here and only to my friends on INGO.

The range is in a rural setting, not a populated residential area. It is very wet ground and not suitable for building a house (at least one with a basement.) It did have a mobile home pad and large mound septic on the lot which was vacant and over grown. The berm itself is about 12 foot tall and 160 foot wide. It is shaped like a crescent in order to catch an errant round. What is nice about this ground is that there were no rocks which is a concern because a person does not want to accidently skip a round over the berm. The ground is very flat and open and that is good when you consider noise. No echoing. Targets are always set in the middle of the berm and no more then 5 feet off the ground. The property is very clean. We have a very good friend who is a retired Master Sergent. His job was building ranges for the army. It was his opinion that the berm is well constructed. A deputy from the Clark County Sheriffs Department also agreed the property is safe.

Until the hearing last night there had been no complaints that I am aware of. In fact Officer Lemmons was expecting to attend a routine BZA meeting.

As far as how much shooting goes on out there. Really not a lot (if I had to guess maybe 3 hours a month) and never at night or early in the morning. Mostly people sighting in rifles, plinking with .22s and handgun practice. Officer Lemmons main concentration is training and as the experienced trainers can tell you that doesn't necessarily mean shooting a lot of rounds.

On a lighter note my son loves going down there to shoot balloons that we hang on an old wooded stand. An 8 year old with a single shot .22. That must be the dish rattling assault weapons the neighbors are hearing.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If I were him (easy for me to say because I'm not), I'd keep doing exactly what I've been doing with regards to shooting, and dare the county to fine a LEO for using his own private property to train on, for the benefit of all Clark County residents.

I'd throw a C-note to help pay that lawsuit...

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    We have some of the swat guys in are gun club SOUTHEN INDIANA RIFLE&PISTOL CLUB one of them help me set up my bob cat steel hanger(old swing set] and helped me break it in,he liked shooting the steel.He seamed liked a nice guy even give me his old brass,some of them don't talk much and i know we are not there to talk there to make some noise:ar15:It's those gun shy horseys:horse: and the people who don't want any shooting near them at all anywhere. The club is just up the road a bit from marysville.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We have some of the swat guys in are gun club SOUTHEN INDIANA RIFLE&PISTOL CLUB one of them help me set up my bob cat steel hanger(old swing set] and helped me break it in,he liked shooting the steel.He seamed liked a nice guy even give me his old brass,some of the don't talk much and i know we are not there to talk there to make some noise:ar15:It's those gun shy horseys:horse: and the people who don't want any shooting near them at all anywhere.

I think that is the closest range the guys have access to. There is one between Jeffersonville and Charlestown. But I think it is small. Never seen it.

Top Bottom