• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So sad. Do any of us really know our children. I have received some real surprises from all of mine. None that required this level of violence but some knee weakening curve balls.
    Parenting is the most serious job we take on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow, that would be tough. Not sure which would be tougher. Killing your kid or knowing your kid was a low life degenerate that would burglarize your own neighbor and even attack his own dad.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So sad. Do any of us really know our children. I have received some real surprises from all of mine. None that required this level of violence but some knee weakening curve balls.
    Parenting is the most serious job we take on.

Some kids hide things well, When your child surprises you in a negative way some people want to blame the parent immediately. Doesn't matter how great of a parent you are sometimes the kid you raised right chooses to go down the wrong path!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How can a child raised right go down a wrong path? That makes so little sense.

Either he or she raised right or not.

This generation of parents are better at making excuses than they are parenting.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Some kids hide things well, When your child surprises you in a negative way some people want to blame the parent immediately. Doesn't matter how great of a parent you are sometimes the kid you raised right chooses to go down the wrong path!
    something I have always said to my girls
    "I have given you the tools to succeed in a good and proper life, what you choose to do with them is up to you."
    I am fortunate, they are both good, young adults.

I couldn't imagine what this father has to be going through. It's a tough situation for sure.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

This generation of parents are better at making excuses than they are parenting.

I have to respond, it is very possible for a child raised right to go down the wrong path. 3 children in the same home, all raised the same. Oldest child has a PHD in Theology is an active professor at Indiana Wesleyan University. middle child is a married house wife who ran her own business for close to 8 years. Youngest child is a convicted felon, served 10 years in prison. Youngest child has been "out" and on the right side of the law for 10+ years now, but how could he have gone down the wrong path when he was raised the same as his siblings?

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN

Think of the bell curve. Most fall within the norm. But there are exceptions of each end. There are teenagers who just sort of naturally are great. Others are sociopaths. Most sociopaths are born that way and parenting has nothing to do with how they turned out.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Are you a parent?

Do YOU have your own will to choose and make decisions?

Children are not robots. People are not robots.

The will and nature of a child can be seen VERY very young. It truly is an insight into true human nature.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

What's your point?

The best parents can still have a **** for a kid. God created each and every one of us, and handed us free will. Does that make our heavenly father a schmuck for the likes of tyrants and criminals?

There are also any number of children raised in inappropriate and/or harmful surroundings, that become the best that humanity has to offer.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some kids seem to just be born with a chip on their shoulder. The world owes them and so far it has failed them in every way.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Sad, would like to know more...they never said what the shiny object was, or did the father just think he had something...low light would be hard to tell. Gotta be hard to live with...

I've seen some kids that had great parents that aren't worth a plug nickel, an some good kids have come from some bad parents......its not always black an white.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    So--How many have YOU raised??

I guess it's society's fault, eh?

^^^Two post that seem Damning to parents with "Bad Kids"??

The Wife+I have raised 4 (2 of each), 36ye.-27ye.

All 4 have college degrees-One has also a Masters, and another is due to take the Indiana Bar Exam at the end of this year.

We (The Wife+I) have both been there for them as needed. Some of our Kids have had their "Ups+Downs", and some have been "Straight Arrow".

As has been said, each Child takes their own path, we, as parents can ONLY try to provide the "Tools+Training" to guide them down that path.

You are right to the point where a parent will not correct a child as needed.
    Yea--TOO much work

IMO, THOSE parents should NOT have children...Bill.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I blame the robber personally. Why are you so adamant that it's someone else's fault the kid chose this behavior. You are claiming everyone else is making excuses when you are the one placing the blame elsewhere.

I didn't use purple. In the second post - I was playing off the "society failed me", excuse we hear on a regular basis.

When I say parents are better at making excuses than parenting, I believe that I'm generalizing, sure. But it's apparent to me that a lot of parents think that going through the motions of modern parenting is just good enough.

I'm not talkiing trash to rile anyone, but it's strange how many super parents fail on a daily basis. Personal responsibility bows out to achievement these days.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If "failure" is anything shy of perfection: I absolutely fail on a daily basis.

Can I ask again: Do you have children?

-J-

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    -J-

What does that matter? I have opinions as do you.

You and I both have observations that don't require us to have that particular experience to formulate objectivity that, in this subject, effect us all.

Did I criticize you for your failings? Is your child going to break into your neighbors house despite your awesome parenting? What will you do?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If "failure" is anything shy of perfection: I absolutely fail on a daily basis.

Can I ask again: Do you have children?

-J-

Forget it. He seems intent upon his current path of non committal expertise upon child rearing.

Top Bottom