• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a AR10 with a Stainless barrel and it came with a basic black AR flash hider and I wanted something in stainless.
    I decided to make my own as a learning experience and it saved money ..... if I don't count my labor time involved :)

A couple things I did for the first time on this was I made my own boring bar the cut internal threads rather than buying one and I cut internal threads for the first time.

Here is what I started out with.
    I bought 2' of 1" Stainless bar stock.

Picture071.jpg

I cut off a chunk and and drilled my bullet bore .020 over .308 so a .328 bullet bore and I drilled for the threaded end. just undersized in order to cut a 5/8x24 thread. Once I had both ends of the soon to be brake drilled I needed a tool to thread the inside with.
    I wanted to thread before any serious work since there was a risk I would mess up and have to start over. :)

I made this tool to thread with:

Picture086.jpg

Picture087.jpg

I cut the threads going slowly and yay it went worked first attempt :)

Picture068.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture007.jpg

I did not take any pictures milling the ports I forgot but once I got the port milled I had to trim material off the threaded end to get the port to index properly.

Once that was done I contoured the outside down.

Picture074.jpg

Picture073.jpg

As you can see it is starting to take shape I missed a few pics along the way.

Finished product.

I tried real hard to perfectly match the barrel OD but could not get it just right so you can still see a small line. the only way I think I could do that would be to have the brake on the barrel for final finishing

Picture082.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture085.jpg

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thank you.
    I have really been working on threading. my next project is to build a rear "spider" for my lathe so I can indicate my lathe on a rifle bore for more accurate threading for muzzle attachments.

maybe start that tomorrow, we'll see

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Allen...that's a thing of beauty! Having all the tools in the world will only help, having a talent like yours is what makes the tools look so good. Congrats.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen...that's a thing of beauty! Having all the tools in the world will only help, having a talent like yours is what makes the tools look so good. Congrats.

As a owner of a Collision repair Shop I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.
    But I figured a Muzzle Brake was one of the easier things I could think of to make :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That is amazing... you are gifted brother.

Sadly I have no such skill, but am definitely impressed when I see others who do.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    That's great work, Allen.

Here a while back, another member posted a Mosin build where he'd attached a machined piece of metal that wasn't a brake, flash hider, or suppressor, just looked like one. I loved the look if the larger piece on it, and before you machined the holes in yours, it looked very similar. I know you were going for a brake, but I liked it without the holes.

I know it serves no purpose and realistically just extends the length of the barrel, but I think I'm going have someone make me something similar when I build my AR.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    That's great work, Allen.

Here a while back, another member posted a Mosin build where he'd attached a machined piece of metal that wasn't a brake, flash hider, or suppressor, just looked like one. I loved the look if the larger piece on it, and before you machined the holes in yours, it looked very similar. I know you were going for a brake, but I liked it without the holes.

I know it serves no purpose and realistically just extends the length of the barrel, but I think I'm going have someone make me something similar when I build my AR.

if your gonna do that just buy a suppressor. then at least it will serve a purpose :D

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    absolutely great work! You might think about farming out your skills here on INGO and make some money. I know i would give ya a go on some projects i have.

Top Bottom