• ...and so much more!
  • kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    this is probably the wrong forum ---- but i will try it anyways
    Long Story Short --- my father in law and i build a "target" frame made out of 4x4 treated lumber and a steel plate that we had. The steel was a very low quality ( it was not very hard to drill thru ) the piece was 20" x24" and we built a wooden frame out of wood to support this piece of steel. It worked fine for 22LR and handgun ---- but I shot some .223 and and those rounds are destroying the steel --as in it is now worthless.
    My question is does anybody know the type of steel that we will need to purchase that would hold up being able to use it as a backstop for bullets??
    i.e. steel hardness etc.???

thanks
    kman

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Like OWGEM said, AR500 and talk to Bobcat Steel on here. AR500 is the only way to go and Bobcat makes some really nice stuff, too.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    thank you for the info folks
    I will check into the bobcat dude ( I found his web site thanks to you guys ---- nice to know it is a fellow hoosier )

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Haven't been on here yet today so I missed this! Sorry.
    PM inbound.

well apparently I do not enough post counts to reply to the PM

so here is my private message ---- which will now be a public message

thank you --- I plan on driving out to the location today and seeing what we want to do. Right now we have a wooden frame that has the 20 x 24 piece of steel mounted onto it at a 45 degree angle. My concern is with the "free standing" style of your steel targets hanging / suspended from a bracket would be bullet deflection and how far the bullet will travel after hitting a set-up such as yours. Do you know ?? The reason I ask is that we have a mound of dirt that is approx 10' tall that we shoot into - however if the bullets were to deflect and keep going ( at an angle )--- there is a neighbors house appox 100 yards away, and the house sits off to the right of this mound of dirt. I am concerned that without a rigid piece of steel there maybe a greater change of a bullet heading that direction. Of course I am not well versed in these matters. Maybe you know??

thank you
    kman

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    The bullets are going to fragment on impact regardless of the mounting angle you have. The mounting angle is mainly to 'coach' the direction in which the spall will go.

Let me know how your trip out there went. We'll help you any way we can.

Top Bottom