• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I was watching a Wild Justice episode today while doing laundry. I kind of like that show but have few problems with it (will save that for another thread). Anyway, one of the game wardens had assisted in rescuing a motorist who had crashed into a large creek. Later it showed him field stripping his Glock and emptying all his magazines and replacing all his carry ammo.

The only experience I have that is close to that would be a soaked J frame that I had carried in an ankle holster. I just dried it off, added a touch of oil and wiped off the 5 rounds.

My question is this: Has anyone ever gotten their gun (pistol, rifle or shotgun) soaking wet and what, if any, maintenance did you do with it. Did you replace the carry rounds or just wipe them off?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I get my hunting rifles soaked on more trips than not. I don't do any maintenance, they go back into the rack and so does any ammo that survived the trip. But I buy/build knowing that and specify components that can get wet, go through multiple freeze thaws, etc. About the only time I strip one down to clean it is after salt water exposure.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I've had my pocket rounds go through the wash before. They still shot just fine, but I obviously don't carry them for SD.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I dropped a Remington 1100 into a creek some years ago. I continued to hunt with it and even used the deer slugs that were in it.
    I dissassembled the shotgun that weekend and cleaned it out and wiped it down then lubed with Tri-Flow.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Never had that happen, but I would just wipe them off and make sure they were dry, but some here call me crazy, so what do I know :D

That was my initial thought. As all of us know, SD ammo is not cheap. And I was under the impression that most factory produced ammo is pretty water tight. Perhaps the game warded did it because he doesn't pay for his own ammo?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ammo in general isnt all that cheap, but even with the price of premium ammo, I would think it cheep insurance to shoot the rounds that get wet, and replace them with new ones. As far as the gun, I just strip it down, blow the parts out, and wipe down with oil.
    Water and guns isnt a bad thing, actually remember cleaning my M16 in a trash can full of warm soapy water in boot camp.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Target shooting or hunting is different than self defense.
    If your ammo doesn't work, no big deal.
    Self defense ammo, probably ok. If it was rained on, no big deal. Submerged, I'd take it to range, shoot it off, and replace.
    Its your life. Take chances as you will.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Completely soaked an old Colt Python during a deer hunting downpour. Wiped off the rounds and set them aside for plinking later. Totally disassembled the gun, dried and oiled each pc, put back together. Hunted with other rounds.

I always disassemble after getting rained on, even with a beater 870 Express............but on that Python I was extra careful to not miss the slightest spot!

It was a PITA...........doubt I take it out in such crappy weather again.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Have had it happen on numerous training ranges and in combat, we Charlie Miked (Continued Mission). I have never had a problem with the rounds not wanting to perform...

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    That was my initial thought. As all of us know, SD ammo is not cheap. And I was under the impression that most factory produced ammo is pretty water tight. Perhaps the game warded did it because he doesn't pay for his own ammo?

I would personally replace the ammo, is it ok? Probably, do you want to trust your life to probably?

Top Bottom