Can I shoot in a public forest? Where to shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malvarez10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was wondering if there are forests where you can hunt with a hunting permit (Yellowwood and Morgan Monroe state forest) if you can go there to plink. Safely of course and still follow the rules of public hunting grounds. I do not own acres and acres of land like most people so my home is not an option. So my question is can I shoot in these forests (out of a hunting season, not to interfere with a hunt) and not get ticketed/fined/or hassled? I dont want to brake any rules but what would be the difference between shooting animals vs shooting targets? Thoughts? Suggestions? :dunno:

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    malvarez10 said:
    So my question is can I shoot in these forests (out of a hunting season, not to interfere with a hunt) and not get ticketed/fined/or hassled? I dont want to brake any rules but what would be the difference between shooting animals vs shooting targets?

What the difference is between target shooting and discharging a firearm while hunting during a legal hunting season is basically about the number of shots that could potentially be fired while plinking. Multiply that by potentially hundreds of target shooters setting up targets wherever they want to plink in a state forest, and it's easy to see how the land can be disturbed and how its legal enjoyment by many other users can be interfered with.

Plus some game animals like coyotes are legal to hunt nearly year round so it's difficult to find a time of year when there's not any legal hunting season going on in a state forest.

State lawmakers probably believe that private shooting clubs are so plentiful that there's plenty of access to low cost target shooting ranges. Some shooting clubs charge under $100 per year to join.
    The National Shooting Sports Foundation has an extensive state by state database of both private and public shooting clubs and ranges.
    There's a search box located in the right hand column of the NSSF home page that's labeled "FIND A PLACE TO SHOOT".

http://www.nssf.org/shooting/

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Morons shooting at junk refrigerators, minimal if any backstop, idiots out for a stroll in the woods, hear some shots and walk to the unoffical and unknown to them range to check it out (most likely from downrange).

When stuff is "free" it tends to draw a special type.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have shot at Yellowwood occasionally. I stop in to tell Mr. Ranger what I want to do so he doesn't worry about the gunfire. As of the last time they didn't have an approved place where everybody shoots. He usually suggests finding a fallen tree at least 1000 yards off the back road and be careful. My guy's health was declining so there may be a new Ranger by now, Who knows how a new guy might react.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes, you can legally shoot in National Forests, including Hoosier National Forest.

More info here:
    Hoosier National Forest - Alerts & Notices

There are some restrictions, but it is perfectly legal.

As long as you are not in a designated recreation area (ie campground) and you are not using trees as targets or have your targets attached to trees you are free to shoot on the Hoosier. Just please use common sense and don't do something that ruins it for the rest of us....

Top Bottom