• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    It doesn't sound like much unless they misprinted the support.

"The states would provide grant funding amounting to $50,000 a year for two years to pay for School Resource Officers."

Would this cover two officers that have numerous schools to cover? Something doesn't add up as the story is written.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I wondered! This is better.

Per school district "Funding would be limited to up to $50,000 per school district, but Zoeller says that could change as lawmakers consider the measure in their upcoming session." Matching funds. Number of schools in a district would make a difference in allocations.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I hope they make it for the hiring and payroll of officers and not allow the schools to buy new police cars or such for the schools.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I wondered! This is better.

Per school district "Funding would be limited to up to $50,000 per school district, but Zoeller says that could change as lawmakers consider the measure in their upcoming session." Matching funds. Number of schools in a district would make a difference in allocations.

It's still unrealistic, look at the number of schools in Indianapolis alone, I know here in Greenfield we have at least four to five.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    IPS already has its own school police force. I'm betting many inner city schools probably already have officers on duty. My thought is the schools shouldn't hire them, the local PD should dedicate officers to walking the halls.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I'm sure someone with minimal education and training would be willing to pack a firearm in a school for $30k/yr with summers off and no possibility for advancement...

This is exactly the type of highly motivated individual that I'd want protecting my kids...

Our stupid school system would spend the other 20k on walkie-talkies and a patrol car for the aforementioned "winner".

They'd never be friends with the local cops... Cops hate rent-a-cops....

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Just arm the teachers that want to be and get rid of disarmed victims zones (gun free zones). No one will know who is armed and the vulnerability is much lower.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I know in our township, all of our officers are off duty IMPD, retired IMPD or some other form of police.

Our township doesn't have enough police on staff to cover all the schools while school is in session. Let alone they have them spread across 3 shifts.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I read an article in the paper (believe it was the local Frankfort times) that stated that Indiana law already allows for anyone authorized by the school district (not sure who is the person(s) so designated - whether it be the Superintendent, school board etc.) to be armed in the school. This would include any personnel they designate - could be teachers or hired guards or police. Seems like it would be far more economical to pay a few teachers in each school to be trained and some extra pay for carrying a weapon. Unfortunately nothing is foolproof, a sniper could shoot through windows, or someone could place big enough explosives outside the school or poison the food or water or flood the school with gas... No way to stop a maniac with the desire to kill or maim. I don't understand how anyone could desire to harm children or defenseless people, I doubt any sane person can. However, an armed guard or teacher could certainly mitigate the number of casualties by killing the bad guy.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I'm sure someone with minimal education and training would be willing to pack a firearm in a school for $30k/yr with summers off and no possibility for advancement...

This is exactly the type of highly motivated individual that I'd want protecting my kids...

Our stupid school system would spend the other 20k on walkie-talkies and a patrol car for the aforementioned "winner".

They'd never be friends with the local cops... Cops hate rent-a-cops....

Considering they will have full law enforcement and arrest powers as dictated under IC, what exactly makes them "rent-a-cops"? You seem to be very disrespectful towards your fellow citizens.

I read an article in the paper (believe it was the local Frankfort times) that stated that Indiana law already allows for anyone authorized by the school district (not sure who is the person(s) so designated - whether it be the Superintendent, school board etc.) to be armed in the school. This would include any personnel they designate - could be teachers or hired guards or police. Seems like it would be far more economical to pay a few teachers in each school to be trained and some extra pay for carrying a weapon. Unfortunately nothing is foolproof, a sniper could shoot through windows, or someone could place big enough explosives outside the school or poison the food or water or flood the school with gas... No way to stop a maniac with the desire to kill or maim. I don't understand how anyone could desire to harm children or defenseless people, I doubt any sane person can. However, an armed guard or teacher could certainly mitigate the number of casualties by killing the bad guy.

This would be the wise thing to do, however, there are many teachers who would not want to be armed, and you can't expect the ones who do wish to be armed to leave their children unattended and face possible execution at the hands of a deranged individual.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    On this same note, I have been speaking with a family member back in Minnesota who is an AD at a highschool there and there is talks about allowing teachers to conceal carry while in the class room. Any thoughts on this???

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Anyone allowed to carry a gun in a school weather it be a teacher, retired police officer or aspiring police officer would have to be fully vetted to ensure this person is the right person for the job. Additionally, there must be "school specific" training before anyone is given the go ahead. I want a highly trained, highly skilled person guarding my children.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm no lawyer, but I believe teachers are already legally allowed to be armed. They are "employed" by the school, and their job is to "perform or participate in a school function"...being a teacher, and they are paid to do it. They are also paid to "participate in any other activity authorized by a school." I'd say they meet the criteria quite nicely.

Perhaps Guy can comment and straighten me out ?

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Link: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch9.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]IC 35-47-9[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]IC 35-47-9-0.1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Repealed [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif](Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]IC 35-47-9-1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Exemptions from chapter Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (1) A:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (A) federal;[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (B) state; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (C) local;[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] law enforcement officer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (A) a school; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (3) A person who:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (A) may legally possess a firearm; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.[/FONT]

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Long read......sorry

The teachers are there already. The school staff is there already. Their reaction time is measured in seconds, not minutes. They can serve as your immediate violent response. Best case scenario, they engage and stop the attacker, or it bursts his fantasy bubble and he commits suicide. Worst case scenario, the armed staff provides a distraction, and while he’s concentrating on killing them, he’s not killing more children.
    But teachers aren’t as trained as police officers! True, yet totally irrelevant. The teacher doesn’t need to be a SWAT cop or Navy SEAL. They need to be speed bumps.
    An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

Top Bottom