Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

Gun safe recomendations

I have been looking for a safe for quite a while now and have my eye on a Liberty D-27. It has 12ga walls and is fire resistant for 30min @ 1200 degrees. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this safe or any safe suggestions would be helpful.
    "Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse or a tin-horn gambler would carry a pearl-handled pistol."
    - General George S. Patton

Plinker
    Nothing wrong with a Liberty safe, been around a long time and have a good rep. can be a little pricey but still decent quality. make sure and properly bolt it to the floor, i'm sure the owners manual will explain.

To Ramick,

Two (2) excellent choices are Liberty and American Security.

Whatever you choose go with an Underwriters Laboratory tested and rated safe! Anything else is pure sales propoganda!

You do NOT want to spend loads of money to "feel" secure, you want to "be" secure. You will see a LOT of safe websites with videos showing very exciting things to "prove" their safes are good. Those videos don't prove squat! Get something that has been tested by UL as they are not trying to sell you anything.

Another good safe manufacturer is Brown, but in my research they were a bit pricey.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Doug
    "The new tyranny in America will not come from armies on the streets but rather from an increasingly meddling bureaucracy interfering in the day to day lives of its citizens" - Paraphrase Alexis De Tocqueville

To better view these boards go into your UserCP, on the left go to General Settings, then go down to "thread display options" and set it for 40 posts instead of 10. This way you won't have as many pages to flip through. Hope this helps!

Plinker
    Here are three that I was interested after researching though I never followed up with a purchase. Hopefully some more knowledgeable can chime in.

Johnson Safe

Gun Safes, Buy Handgun Safe, Best Fireproof Home Gun Safe for Sale

Gun Safes : Fire Safe Manufacturer : Sturdy Gun Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian01 View Post
    To Ramick,

Two (2) excellent choices are Liberty and American Security.

Whatever you choose go with an Underwriters Laboratory tested and rated safe! Anything else is pure sales propoganda!

You do NOT want to spend loads of money to "feel" secure, you want to "be" secure. You will see a LOT of safe websites with videos showing very exciting things to "prove" their safes are good. Those videos don't prove squat! Get something that has been tested by UL as they are not trying to sell you anything.

Another good safe manufacturer is Brown, but in my research they were a bit pricey.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Doug
    Does the entire safe need to be UL tested or just the lock? I too am in the market but very much new to safes.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

I was thinking about getting a Stack on from Gander soon. When dad passed away, we didn't know the combo for the lock. Luckily, his friend is a locksmith. Took him about a month to figure it out.

500 bucks for a safe sounds reasonable
    A pack of cowards is the most dangerous kind.

Plinker
    Johnson.

What is everyone's thoughts about a good handgun safe? I don't own any long guns but do have several hand guns that are now in multiple cases. Are there any safes that can hold more than 6+ handguns?
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." ... Winston Churchill

I have a Liberty Franklin 35 NRA edition due in any day now. It was the best I found. The more I looked at the more I liked Liberty. Also check the warranty thats available.
    Liberty NRA Safe - Welcome to the #1 NRA gun safes for sportsmen and hunters
    NRA Patron Member Those Who Beat Their Swords Into Plowshares Will Plow For Those Who Didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Soupcan View Post
    Does the entire safe need to be UL tested or just the lock? I too am in the market but very much new to safes.
    Soupcan,

The whole safe chief. They test it to a level that is actually trying to overcome the safes defenses in a scientific and thorough manner.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860

Here is a nonprofessional video showing just how easy it can be for someone to bust into a nontested safe. NOTE: This video is not scientific but gives a basic idea of what criminals could do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

It is actually quite scary to think that the best rating most people will get is a TL30 from UL. This means that UL couldn't get into the safe in less than 30 minutes. That was the first video. A TL30 safe will run several thousand dollars, minimum.

If you really need to provide security layers of protection are required. Strong doors and windows. A security system. Perhaps a dog. There are other things as well but the fact is with limitless time any security will be breached.

All that said, the vast majority of home burglaries are "smash and grab" jobs that most safes will stop. To stop more competent thieves greater protection is required.

Regards,

Doug

"The new tyranny in America will not come from armies on the streets but rather from an increasingly meddling bureaucracy interfering in the day to day lives of its citizens" - Paraphrase Alexis De Tocqueville

To better view these boards go into your UserCP, on the left go to General Settings, then go down to "thread display options" and set it for 40 posts instead of 10. This way you won't have as many pages to flip through. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast