• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a nearly unlimited supply of scrap steel (just need approval from higher up whenever I take some). It's 3/8" 80 grade steel discs/squares about 6" across. Got 5400 lb chain from tractor supply and had it welded to the plates. Planning on hanging them about 2'-3' of the ground and shooting it with 9mm and 45acp only with a proper backstop. A friend declined to shoot them with me, arguing that it would ricochet. Thought some of you might have tried similar things. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    High chance of ricochet with anything less than about 400BHN steel with pistol calibers.

That steel you have will be about 130-200BHN. Realistically probably in the 150BHN range.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I suppose there is a possibility of a ricochet with any hard target, I saw a man hit in the cheek from a 45 acp fired at a bowling pin.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I too have a nearly unlimited supply of steel plates. What does Bhn transfer to in tensile strength(if it does)?

we roll steel around 50000 tensile i believe. I can see if i can get the BHN from someone. What is a good thickness for steel targets?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I have a nearly unlimited supply of scrap steel (just need approval from higher up whenever I take some). It's 3/8" 80 grade steel discs/squares about 6" across. Got 5400 lb chain from tractor supply and had it welded to the plates. Planning on hanging them about 2'-3' of the ground and shooting it with 9mm and 45acp only with a proper backstop. A friend declined to shoot them with me, arguing that it would ricochet. Thought some of you might have tried similar things. Thanks!

I was going to recommend heating and quenchingbut, 80 grade structural steel only contains .2 % carbon which is not enough to harden it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    High chance of ricochet with anything less than about 400BHN steel with pistol calibers.

That steel you have will be about 130-200BHN. Realistically probably in the 150BHN range.

Being that it will be hung from a chain and able to swing freely it should lessen any risk?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I too have a nearly unlimited supply of steel plates. What does Bhn transfer to in tensile strength(if it does)?

we roll steel around 50000 tensile i believe. I can see if i can get the BHN from someone. What is a good thickness for steel targets?

Tensile has NOTHING to do with hardness.
    Hardness is what you need.

Hardness combats velocity, thickness combats energy.

Being that it will be hung from a chain and able to swing freely it should lessen any risk?

Not really. The round is going to do most of the damage before the plate begins to move.

Here is a picture of our targets compared to that of structural steel like you have. The target on the left is 3/8" AR500, while the target on the right is 3/4" floor plate. These were from a single range outing. Which do you feel safer shooting at?

We offer a full line of pistol and rifle rated targets if you are interested in something that is safe and will last. Just let me know if there is anything we can help you out with!

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County

Not really. The round is going to do most of the damage before the plate begins to move.

Here is a picture of our targets compared to that of structural steel like you have. The target on the left is 3/8" AR500, while the target on the right is 3/4" floor plate. These were from a single range outing. Which do you feel safer shooting at?

We offer a full line of pistol and rifle rated targets if you are interested in something that is safe and will last. Just let me know if there is anything we can help you out with!

This:yesway: bobcatSteel is good stuff.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

What was said. Tensile strength relates to how much tension can be placed on the steel before it goes past it's yield strength. Meaning, if you stretched the steel, at what point would it not retain it's original properties and become weakened.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Would you mind re-stating that in English?

Some of us are not well versed in technoese.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    excellent technical information !!! i frequently cant add ANYTHING to the conversation , but i'm really learning a LOT just from reading :) we seem to have an expert or professional available to comment on just about every subject discussed ... awesome ... all i can add here is richocets stink ...

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Would you mind re-stating that in English?

Some of us are not well versed in technoese.

What he has isn't hard enough to mitigate the risk of ricochets. To mitigate that risk, he needs something harder like AR 400 for pistol calibers or AR 500 for centerfire rifle calibers..

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Hooky got it.

BHN is Brinnell hardness. It is the hardness scale the the AR plate is rated on. Basically showing that AR400 is three times harder than mild steel and AR500 is about four times harder.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Ended up taking it out today to see what would happen. Used the XD45 and XDm9c. Shot at 15 yards, 10, 7, then 5. Never felt anything come back at me but wore pants, kevlar sleeves, and eye pro, just in case. Looked like the majority of the lead landed immediately below or within the first 3' of the target.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    another thing you can do to minimize the ricochet is to angle the plate down. set up a second pole behind the target plate with a chain welded to the bottom should work.

or something like this:

45_degree_static_evil_roy_-_both_web_.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ended up taking it out today to see what would happen. Used the XD45 and XDm9c. Shot at 15 yards, 10, 7, then 5. Never felt anything come back at me but wore pants, kevlar sleeves, and eye pro, just in case. Looked like the majority of the lead landed immediately below or within the first 3' of the target.

Dang, I wouldn't shoot a 22 at ar500 at 5 yards, much less anything centerfire, especially at mild steel. If you really want to see where the frags are going, set up some cardboard sheets down and around the target, don't use your body with its innumerable chinks in the armor. Getting copper/lead/steel out of your tissue is a helluva lot more painful than setting up some sheets.

Plus, your target appears to already be pocking. Where the fragments go becomes immensely more unpredictable the more the surface is pocked/irregular so the more you shoot it, the less it will behave like it currently does..

Best,

Joe

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

Just curious, what are those dark spots in the middle of the hit marks? Is the steel still flat, or are there small dimples where each round hit? If there are any dimples or bends at all from that few rounds, you are at risk for a bounce back any time now.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Hooky got it.

BHN is Brinnell hardness. It is the hardness scale the the AR plate is rated on. Basically showing that AR400 is three times harder than mild steel and AR500 is about four times harder.

How does hardsurface rod hold up? Are you guys using a plasma or oxy/fuel table?

Top Bottom