• ...and so much more!
  • indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Virginia Student Suspended for Playing With Toy Gun at Home | Mediaite

In the past, some schools have been rather strict about discouraging gun violence facsimiles to some ridiculous lengths, but at least these incidents occurred on school property. But a seventh grader in Virginia and his friend have now been suspendedfrom school for shooting an airsoft gun… in his front yard.
    The two boys were waiting for the bus. They did not bring the toy gun to school, let alone on the bus. It stayed on private property. But that was apparently enough for the Virginia Beach City Public School System to suspend Khalid Caraballo and Aidan Clark and even “recommended to be expelled for a year.”
    Interestingly enough, the school was not the instigator of the complaint, it was a neighbor who was concerned about the boys playing with the fake gun.
    A neighbor saw Khalid shooting the airsoft gun in his front yard. She told the dispatcher, “He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there’s a target in a tree in his front yard”.
    WAVY.com located the 911 caller and spoke to her. She confirmed Khalid was taking target practice using a zombie hunter airsoft gun to kill the zombies. There was also a net behind the target to catch the plastic pellets.
    The caller also knew the gun wasn’t real and said so, “This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me (uncomfortable), as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun,” she told the 911 dispatcher.
    The middle school principal was concerned enough about this violent, inhumane rampage to conduct an actual investigation into this, claiming the boys shot at people near the bus stop.
    Caraballo’s mother admitted he disobeyed her by playing with the gun in the first place, but said any punishment should come from her, not the school.
    Watch the video below, via WAVY-TV:

Video on link.......crazy

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Our moms were so glad to get us out of the house, they bought us toy guns just so we'd go out and do what kids do with toy guns.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whats next? Having us arrested for Carrying while watching our kids at the bus stop? After all, if they can extend the imaginary school property line to the bus stop, whats to stop them? Especially since this is potentially your personal property (or at least directly adjacent to it in the right of way).

the most telling:
    “This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me (uncomfortable), as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun,”

what a load of crap. I bet she also calls 911 because McDonalds got her order wrong. Sorry snnowflake, having your feelings hurt is no emergency.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Wow. Words fail me on this. Of all the busybody, asinine, invasive, ridiculous, things I have read lately, this is close to taking the prize for most idiotic.

Uncomfortable about a frakkin' toy gun?!? That was being fired at a target in the trees WITH A NET BEHIND IT....

Lady from the article, please do us all a favor and buy a clue since you obviously don't have one.

And that the police, school, or anyone else got in involved is beyond absurd.

:n00b::xmad: I think I will stop now.:shady:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I am from the Bay Area so maybe it is different here and in Virginia. But I was told that all school rules apply once you leave your front door of your house. The school can punish you for anything you do before and after school until you get inside your home again. I don't know how far that goes, but it certainly isn't surprising that he was suspended for playing with a toy gun in his yard waiting for the bus.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am from the Bay Area so maybe it is different here and in Virginia. But I was told that all school rules apply once you leave your front door of your house. The school can punish you for anything you do before and after school until you get inside your home again. I don't know how far that goes, but it certainly isn't surprising that he was suspended for playing with a toy gun in his yard waiting for the bus.
    And soon enough, they'll push inside the front door of the home, like a SWAT team executing a faulty warrant, and claim jurisdiction over their students' morning routine. What kind of breakfast the parents have to feed them. Everything they do once their feet hit the floor. What kind of "informational content" is permitted on the home's media devices during that morning routine.

And then, it'll extend to the child's sleeping habits. What they do in the privacy of their own home before going to bed, what kind of PJs they wear, what kind of bed they sleep in, what kind of bed linens they sleep on. After all, if they're not well rested from the night before, the school's educational mission will be undercut, right? And that will get them into the child's evening routine, what they watch on TV, what kind of exclusively educational activities they are permitted in their own parents' home.

There is truly no end to the intolerable jurisdiction creep at play here. They stopped at the front door of the home because that's a clear and undeniable physical threshold. How about we push back the other direction? Until the child passes the clear and undeniable physical threshold owned by the school, they remain free. Until they step through the bus door, until they step through the school door (screw the school property line) for the first time that day until they egress for the last time that day, the school's rules just don't apply and they hold no binding opinions about anything the child says or does.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Forgive me, but you let this continue why?

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009

When you say that you are not surprised, do I understand you to say that you think the suspension is justified? Just curious. Sure seems cut and dried to me. Doing nothing illegal on private property should trump any school policy. Also curious who told you that all school rules apply once you leave your front door for school? I'd be challenging that at the school board meeting, if it came from anyone at the school.
    If it did, I would have pulled the kids out. Did you do any research into that to see if was factual? It just sounds too absurd to believe.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

I went to Brownsburg Schools (indiana) graduated in the early 2000's and I remember two students got expelled for a fight that occurred over a weekend at one of the kids houses. it was written in the "student handbook" that anything that occurred between two students regardless of location would fall under the school rules. I don't know if it is still that way but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

and NO I don't think it justified. the school rules should stop at school property lines/no on school equipment.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If that were my kid we'd already have retained a lawyer. The best defense is a good offense. Don't take that sh#!. If the school is ballsy enough to overstep their authority, then they're ballsy enough to back it up in court.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would have been expelled a 1000x over for the things I did as a kid...............on campus..............during school.

But on my own property? They could just bite me.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am convinced that it's nosey neighbors ruining this country more than even our own government. It's disgusting to me how people are so quick to tell others how to live.

If it doesn't affect you, MYOB. If it's not your property, MYOB. You don't like how someone else is living their life? Tough, it's theirs to live.

This is high and mighty "I know better than you" junk needs to end.

That doesn't excuse the schools response. It's not either/or it's both the school and the neighbor with epic fail on this one.

Top Bottom