• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Honestly, I kinda don't believe the story is completely what it seems. It plays out like an advert.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good for them. The Paki government isn't exactly our friend any more, if ever. They need to release Shakil Alfridi.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Honestly, I kinda don't believe the story is completely what it seems. It plays out like an advert.

I'm with you: "In 2013 we faced a moral dilemma that I wanted to get some opinions on . . ." Yes, it seems like a PR release. I'm just speculating; it's possible that it wasn't a flat turning down of the business, but that they were solicited to submit a bid or proposal, and decided not to, on principle. Still a noble thing to do.

So, sure, it's sound like a PR release, however, if I had a company that refrained from putting in a bid on new business on principle, I would want to people to know.

Good for them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm with you: "In 2013 we faced a moral dilemma that I wanted to get some opinions on . . ." Yes, it seems like a PR release. I'm just speculating; it's possible that it wasn't a flat turning down of the business, but that they were solicited to submit a bid or proposal, and decided not to, on principle. Still a noble thing to do.

So, sure, it's sound like a PR release, however, if I had a company that refrained from putting in a bid on new business on principle, I would want to people to know.

Good for them.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll give them "kinda" noble. They were probably one of a group of businesses asked to submit. Now if they had secured the contract (which honestly IDK if they did or didnt), and then turned it down, that would be REALLY worthy of praise.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    It doesn't matter if it was a $15M contract or an opportunity at a $15M contract. Those of us that are small or medium business owners know $15M is a game changer. Kudos to them for sticking with their...wait a minute...GUNS.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Good for them. Pleased to see morals over greed. Have no doubt more than a few of the rifles would have been used to shoot at troops & civilians in Afghanistan and India.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's what I'm thinking. I'll give them "kinda" noble. They were probably one of a group of businesses asked to submit. Now if they had secured the contract (which honestly IDK if they did or didn't), and then turned it down, that would be REALLY worthy of praise.

Hmmm....

"Well, we can submit a bid with a 10% chance of getting $15M, or we can brag about sticking it to Obama and get every flag waving 'murican to buy our product!"

Maybe I'm just cynical.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN

This.

The Desert Tech head honchos were on FOX this morning. Really, they came off as vague and maybe a bit evasive. The did say they sell rifles to the Saudis, and the UAE, so I am not sure how deep the "patriotic scruples" run.

The interviewer on FOX was definitely trying to lead the interview down the "Obama surely wants you guys to sell these weapons to those treacherous Pakistanis, and so the administration must be really mad that you guys are so pro USA and refuse, right???" But that angle didn't really work out.

Last edited:

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Hmmm....

"Well, we can submit a bid with a 10% chance of getting $15M, or we can brag about sticking it to Obama and get every flag waving 'murican to buy our product!"

Maybe I'm just cynical.

Perhaps you are just a bit cynical. A few years back Steyr sold .50 rifles to Iran. Steyr stopped selling to Iran AFTER the rifles were found being used against American troops in Iraq. The rifles are now being used by Assads troops in Syria + Hezbollah + Palestinian terrorists. They armed the bad guys. The Islamist Pakies are just as mean & hatefull as the Iranians. I am willing to wager the people at Desert Tech have served or have family & friends who have served in Iraq/Afghanistan and want no part in arming the bad guys.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and they sold .50 rifles to Iran in the first place because they were the good guys?

I'm still curious: did Pakistan just pull the name "Desert Tactical Arms" out of hat and offer them a contract (yes, absurd)...

...or did Desert Tactical submit itself for the contract process knowing full well, at the beginning, who the end customer was to be? Somewhere in between? Inquiring minds want to know.

In the end, seems like they made a good decision, but was it a change of heart? a marketing decision? more information please.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom