My Introduction to Barrel Tuners: Do They Work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Introduction

Last Spring, INGO member Top Hat 45 approached me to do some tuner testing and share my experiences with fellow INGO members. He wanted to expose more INGO folks to the world of tuners and he thought that having one noob experience it and tell others was a sound approach. He said he would provide the bench rest, the rifles, targets, and the ammo. What else could I say….I said YES! :yesway:

[Note: As the following pictures will show, the testing was done in the summer of 2013 but I delayed the writing of this review until recently. O how I wish it was warm again like in these pictures!]

They Don’t Look Like Any Rifles I’ve Ever Seen

Top Hat 45 and IndyGunWorks dropped off the gear on a beautiful day in June. They unpacked what looked like “space guns” to me. Beautiful, long, and heavy!

29cq345.jpg

INGO member MissyB shoots this eye catching yellow rifle!

14j562r.jpg

Notice too, the aluminum bench rest. This was built by Top Hat 45.

Now many of these rifle parts looked familiar to me but I got a surprise when I pulled the trigger. The Suhl trigger breaks at 2 oz!

Some people shoot these bench rifles with their off hand using only their finger and thumb on the rifle. Others will lightly cradle the rifle in the conventional way with their cheek barely touching the stock. Here is a shot of MissyB shooting the Suhl using the first method.

2w70oxi.jpg

Top Hat 45 didn't let me see the tuner settings. He intentionally spun them around so I would have to do my best to figure it out as I did the testing.

Then next day INGO member Que was at the house so I had him model the Suhl rifle for me. This rifle was the one I eventually used for most of the testing.

2s1t65d.jpg

You Can Tune a Piano But You Can’t Tuna Fish*
    *(REO Speedwagon 1978)

Barrel tuners have been used on rimfire rifles for many years. In the last few years, shooters have been experimenting with them on centerfire rifles.

f0rzie.jpg
    ]

As I scoured the internet to learn about tuners, I came to the conclusion that they are part science and part art form. There are many people who conjecture about what tuners do to improve rifle accuracy and there is even some impressive finite element analysis articles but the science is not settled.

That
    they work is clear.

It is beyond my expertise to try to explain how tuners do what they do. However, in simplistic terms, when a shot is fired, vibrations are created in the rifle. There are several types of vibrations occurring at different frequencies and in different planes within the rifle. Bench shooters are interested in finding ways to control the movement of the muzzle as the bullet exits so that they can achieve a high level of shot-to-shot repeatability.

There are nodes or ‘dead spots’ along the barrel. The tuner moves the dead spot to the end of the barrel so that it is moving the least amount possible as the bullet exits. This improves accuracy by imparting the least amount of vertical or horizontal movement to the bullet.

The added weight of the tuner also reduced the frequency of all the harmonics. This may make it easier to find and compensate for the barrel nodes.

Additionally, the current tuner design provides a short dead space after the muzzle crown that may help stabilize the bullet by providing a short distance where the bullet can pass through a zone of expanding gasses that is more stable than the open air. Devices created solely to provide this dead zone are called bloop tubes.

bgtkjd.jpg

Different Approaches to Tuner Research

Some people approach the tuner topic from the perspective of many years of empirical experience. Their explanations may not always pass scientific muster, but they have thousands of hours experimenting with tuners and various rifles. Don’t discount their observations just because they can’t explain them.

Here’s an example of this type:
    Precision Shooting Magazine - March- 2005 (Vol. 52 - No. 11)

Other writers were more scientific. They have done numerous computer and real-life analyses and still can’t determine exactly how tuners work.

One of the better scientific articles I found is here:
    Rifle Barrel Tuner Vibration Analysis

Sport of Bench Shooting

I’m intentionally not going to address the sport of bench shooting in this article. It is an enormous topic. People also have many and varied thoughts on the topic. I don’t want to take away from the discussion of tuners in this thread. I also am asking any readers who want to discuss the merits of bench shooting to please start those discussions in new threads.

The Guns

You’ve seen some of the pictures already. Here are the specifications on the three .22 rifles I was working with.

SUHL 150:
    Bolt action
    Made in East Germany
    26 IN Benchmark barrel, 6 groove, 16.5 twist
    Pillar bedded
    Trigger - single stage factory Suhl trigger set at 2 oz
    Harrel / 4000 Tuner
    Mid-Barrel tuner by Gene Davis
    Weaver T-36 scope
    Stock: Bruno McMillan Edge, custom paint

RUGER Tiger Wood 10/22:
    MOA stainless receiver with rear mount
    Threaded 1" air gauged Douglas stainless barrel, 1-16 twist
    Tony Kidd bolt, modified extractor and firing pin
    Tony Kidd recoil spring and guide rod
    Power Custom bolt handle
    Polymer recoil pin
    Tony Kidd trigger - straight blade, 4 oz, polished... blade canted
    Tony Kidd polished mag release
    Volquartzen bedding kit
    Ded Nutz 1 piece polished scope mount
    Sightron II 36 power fixed scope
    Ron Hoehn tuner
    Stock: Richards micro fit target thumbhole in Tiger wood laminate, fitted with aluminum plate on forearm for 3" width, butt stock lead-weighted, custom butt plate

RUGER Happy Yellow 10/22
    Factory Ruger polished receiver
    CPC bolt, VQ extractor and firing pin
    Power Custom bolt handle
    Tony Kidd recoil spring and guide rod
    Polymer recoil pin
    Tony Kidd polished stainless barrel, 1-16 twist
    VQ bedding kit
    Tony Kidd trigger, dual stage, straight blade, 6 oz
    Tony Kidd mag release
    Ded Nutz one piece polished scope mount
    Sightron II 36 power fixed scope
    Ron Hoehn tuner
    Stock: One-of-a-kind Dan Hawken, "Hawk Tech Arms", narrowed from 4" to 3" forearm, cheek piece modified for shooting Free Recoil, Shortened for LOP, lead-weighed butt stock, custom paint by Tim Landis (to match owner’s Jeep!), custom butt plate

“Getting to Know You”

I shot each of the rifles to get used to their scopes and shooting characteristics before starting the testing. Targets were set at 50 yards.

2nhkiaf.jpg

Tiger Striped rifle
    16iefq8.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to see this rifle shoot a 0.757 MOA at 50 yards.
    (MOA stands for minute of angle for the grouping measured center-to-center. It’s a great measurement to express firearm precision. )

2d8jmhj.jpg

Yellow rifle with a good view of the bench rest.
    j73ltd.jpg

Not to be outdone, MissyB’s rifle had a group at 0.754 MOA on my first outing.
    2dag36v.jpg

Suhl Rifle
    2ib207m.jpg

I initially had difficulty with the scope on the Suhl. The eye relief “sweet spot” is extraordinarily small and was very difficult to see. (To be expected as the magnification goes up.) I wondered if my wearing glasses was the cause of this. Additionally, the reticle is very thin and hard to make out. I was shooting near dusk.

I soon learned that in regular daylight, it’s much easier to see the reticle.

Designing the Tests

I chose to use the Suhl rifle for my tuner testing since it is a bolt action and I was hoping it was slightly more accurate than the semi-auto guns.

When Top Hat 45 dropped off the Suhl .22 rifle, he cranked on the tuner without letting me see the original setting he had selected for himself.

He told me to do my own testing to find the “sweet spot” or best setting(s) for this rifle and tuner combination.

The tuner on the Suhl has 25 graduations per revolution and will turn 20 full revolutions yielding a total of 500 units for full range. Higher numbers move the tuner weight forward (away from the receiver). Turning the tuner is reminiscent of working with the turrets on a scope. Here is a close up of the tuner on the laminated stock rifle.

3148qzd.jpg

There are internet articles describing various methods for adjusting tuners.

After reading several articles on tuning, I decided to do this:

1. Select the ammo to shoot based on temperature. Decided to initially use 1053. It was 82 degrees out with 74% humidity. (I’ll talk more about ammo later.)

2. Set up the rifle and benchrest on my bench. The target is sitting at 50 yards with a small drop in elevation. Shoot 15 rounds to warm the rifle. Confirm zero. Make adjustments to zero if needed.

3. Set the tuner at 0, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500. Shoot three shot groups. This is Round 1 testing.

4. Find the groups that are the smallest.

5. Shoot from just below to just above this new range in increments of 25 units. This is Round 2.

6. Look for the better groups.

7. Shoot in increments of 10 to find the best groups. This is Round 3.

8. Shoot the best groups in increments of 5. This is Round 4.

9. Shoot more groups in increments of 1 around the current ‘best’ setting to confirm results.

The Suhl has a mid-barrel tuner. However, it will not be moved during this testing. `

For determining the best groups, I took pictures of the targets and then used OnTarget software (
    On Target Precision Calculator). Results were put into Excel spreadsheets for analysis. [Nerd alert: You don’t have to use the software and spreadsheets to tune your rifle. I chose to go a bit overboard to make sure I wasn’t adding personal bias and because I’m a geek.]

Let the Testing Begin!

Round I
    As planned, I shot 3 shot groups at USBR targets having 2” circle targets.

25fst3q.jpg

23u1wcw.jpg

Even before I used the OnTarget software, it was obvious that the 200 setting was the best with the 300 setting still interesting. Here are the actual numbers expressed in MOA.

33esi2t.jpg

One improvement that could be made is to shoot more groups at each setting to confirm the results by reducing the affect of shooter variation. However, I chose not to do that because of the ammo expense involved.

Round 2
    Based on Round 1 results, I chose to shoot between settings of 150 and 325 with 25 unit increments.

uvjo6.jpg

I shot two groups at 150 because I forgot to move the tuner. I hadn’t gotten into the rhythm of adjusting the tuner.

Here are the OnTarget results.

a5g6z8.jpg

It appeared that the 200 -225 range looked good. I also noticed some interesting groups in the 275 – 300 range.

Round 3
    For this round, I chose to shoot at 180 – 220 and 280 – 300 in increments of 10 units on the tuner. I threw in another target at 210 and 290 to get more data points at these interesting settings.

vosdp3.jpg

29uo909.jpg

The shooting in the 200 range was disappointing for this round. The 290 range however looked good yielding a 0.412 MOA.

2zfiueh.jpg

When combining the Round 3 data with previous data, the range around 190-200 continued to look most promising (even with the lackluster shooting in Round 3) and will be the focus of Round 4 shooting.

Ammo
    Let’s take a short time out here and talk about ammo.

Top Hat 45 provided the ammo for this testing. He is very careful about what ammunition is fired in his rifles. He uses Eley brand ammo exclusively.

1623zfn.jpg

I was curious and did a bit of looking on Midway USA and found that for the type I was using, Eley brand ammo ranges from $14.50 per box of 50 rounds to $23 for a 50 round box of Eley Tenex ammo.

Consistency from shot to shot is critical for bench shooters. To that end bench shooters will buy case amounts of ammo they like so they aren’t switching often.

Eley produces there ammo in a range of velocity ratings (in feet per second) so the shooter can match their ammo to the current weather conditions.

• Air at lower temps is denser: use a faster bullet.
    • Air at higher temps is thinner: use a slower bullet.
    • High humidity causes the air to be thinner: use a slower bullet*
    • Low humidity causes the air to be thicker: use a faster bullet.*

*This seemed counterintuitive to me so I checked. I found that air density decreases as relative humidity increases. This is due to water vapor having a lower molecular weight than oxygen or nitrogen, the key components of air.

Density of air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The goal of ammo selection is to have the bullets moving at nearly the same speed regardless of differences in temperature or humidity.

I also learned that benchshooters are careful how and when to clean their barrels. After a barrel is cleaned, it takes some shooting it to “season” the barrel properly before attaining the best groups.

Round 4

As before, 3 shot groups were fired and the targets analyzed.

o7lkcp.jpg

aceeix.jpg

2rptifb.jpg

Tuner setting 203 is looking very interesting. I’ve shot it twice with good results both times. There is a decent “valley” from about 200 to 210. The best sweet spots are those that have some width so that they are easier to stay in when there are variations in temperatures and ammunition.

Round 5

I shot from tuner setting of 195 to 209 moving the tuner just one click between groups. I also shot some additional groups around 190 and 290 to provide more data since I was interested in those settings.

2ryin1t.jpg

2ev7vvq.jpg

I shot my best group of all the testing at setting 280 with a 0.249 MOA.

Results
    All the Data
    My first reaction when I looked at the summary data was surprise. This rifle was shooting mostly between 0.8 and 0.4 MOA. This is a .22 rifle at 50 yards off a bench. I’ve shot many centerfire rifles that can’t consistently shoot below 1 MOA. The difference between the tuner being in a sweet spot or not appears to be about 0.4 MOA.

1zqa455.jpg

To say it another way, if you’re shooting competitively or just want to squeeze the best accuracy out of a .22 rifle, then a tuner may be in your future. In this testing, the tuner seemed to give a 0.4 MOA improvement.

One admonition, don’t slap a tuner on a rifle that hasn’t been optimized with high quality components (barrel, trigger, optics, etc.). They were never intended to fix an average rifle.

In retrospect, I see that I stopped testing a bit too soon. I have some good settings identified, but they need to be shot more to confirm that those settings will consistently deliver 0.4 MOA groups. At the hands of an experienced bench shooter, I imagine the group sizes would shrink.

Multiple Groups
    The more times you shoot a group the more likely it is for the average MOA to increase. We add in more and more shooter variation with each additional group at any one setting. However, shooting more groups increases the confidence we have in the average data.

I wondered how many tuner settings were shot multiple times. In the data below, divide the round count by three to get the number of groups shot. I shot a total of 177 rounds, not counting warm-up shots, familiarization shots, and a few shots at steel.

14mbbxh.jpg

I was surprised. In retrospect, I think I was being a bit too stingy and should have shot more groups. I was concerned with shooting too much of Top Hat 45’s ammo.

Variation
    As an aside, I wondered whether there was much variation between each round of testing. A quick pivot chart showed that the average MOA was fairly steady. I expected the last round to do better since I was honing in on the best performing settings. The data shows that the variation added by the shooter was at least consistent.

211zqg.jpg

Tuners on Centerfire Rifles (Shooting a Tuned AR)

Discussing centerfire rifles sporting tuners is beyond the scope of this report, but I’ll give you a quick taste on one that Top Hat 45 let me shoot. He predicts that we will be seeing more tuners on centerfire rifles in the next few years.

14kb03k.jpg

At 132 yards off a bench, I was able to place rounds through a 2” hole in a 12” Bobcat Steel target pretty much at will. Very fun to shoot!

Final Thoughts

-- Shooting these fine rifles was eye opening and fun.

-- Tuners make a well-built rifle better by shaving off just a bit more variation. They won’t make an average shooting rifle a tack-driver.

-- You don’t have to understand how tuners work to have them work for you.

-- Tuners have revolutionized .22 bench shooting.

-- It's fun to try out new types of firearms!

-- Shooting someone else’s ammo is REALLY fun! :) :ingo:

Acknowledgements

Top Hat 45
    For the initial idea for this report and for the generous use of his firearms and ammunition. Additionally for his review of the report draft and unbridled enthusiasm for all things dealing with firearms.

IndyGunWorks

For reviewing and improving the draft of this report and his willingness to help shooters of any level.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for Fun

When Top Hat 45 and MissyB came by to pick up their rifles; we of course had to shoot them some and set off some H2 Products.

H2Targets has some material that can be detonated with a .22LR round. So we did!
    2013 07 29 MissyB shooting H2 22 product - YouTube

Here is some standard H2 Product being set off with a .223 round.
    2013 07 29 Shooting reg H2 product gallon jug on top - YouTube

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Excellent write up! I've done a small amount of my own research on bloop tubes and tuners but haven't had an opportunity to try one out for myself. My hope is that in the coming years we will see a sound suppressor/barrel tuner combo which would be amazing for folks like me who only find accurate rifles interesting and spend tremendous amounts of time and energy attempting to put several bullets through the same hole at distance.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Great review as always, thanks for sharing with us.

Did you find out how far off your setting was from what Top Hat 45 ​was using?

I was hoping to see that as well!

Top Hat 45, Will you tell us whether I was in the ball park or not? What is your preferred setting on the Suhl rifle?

From the report, my first choice was 203.
    Other good settings were 192, 207, 280, and 290.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As usual, a very interesting post, with great pics! I read through that fairly quickly so maybe I missed it, but were the rifles baselined without the tuner? Or is a tuner setting of 0 the equivalent? I know nothing of tuners, so I'll have to re-read this and then check out the reference URLs.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wow! Outstanding write up Mr. LMW. I knew when you guys first got together, this is such a great outcome to that meeting!

Top Hat 45 is expertly accomplished in many disciplines. Thanks for sharing the experience.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    great write up dave, and when i suggested it to you i knew i made the right choice.

to respond to the tuner setting that the suhl rifle had before i erased it for you, as you found there are several nodes in the full length of the barrel, if memory serves me the tuner was in the 290ish setting, which you found to be close to optimum. with missy b shooting (less shakes than me) i could also get smaller groups with faster or slower ammo depending on temperature and humidity and air pressure.

with regard to the ar 15, it has a 1 1/2 lb trigger and a 20'' bull barrel 3 groove. its easy a .3 to .4 moa shooter with 77gr sie mk's hand loads.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    As usual, a very interesting post, with great pics! I read through that fairly quickly so maybe I missed it, but were the rifles baselined without the tuner? Or is a tuner setting of 0 the equivalent? I know nothing of tuners, so I'll have to re-read this and then check out the reference URLs.

Great question and one I hope Top Hat 45 may address more fully. As for my report, I didn't remove the tuner because I didn't want to do anything that might be a problem for such a fine rifle. I was making an assumption that by shooting the tuner over its full adjustment range, that surely I would see some of the worst accuracy as well as hopefully the best. From the final line chart you can see that a 1.0 MOA was the "bad" performance for this rifle (with me as the shooter). The presence of the tuner as just a "bloop" tube may have improved its accuracy over that of a plain barrel. I don't know.

to respond to the tuner setting that the Suhl rifle had before i erased it for you, as you found there are several nodes in the full length of the barrel, if memory serves me the tuner was in the 290ish setting, which you found to be close to optimum......

Glad to hear I was on the right track, although I didn't get to a solid final answer. That's one thing I learned, it will take a fair amount of ammo to find a tuner's sweet spot.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    This write-up, those rifles, and that aluminum rest all make my little engineer heart go pitter-patter! Very interesting stuff with the tuners.

Bill Calfee's write up was very interesting as well (1st link in OP)...I love reading or listening to people who may not have a fancy degree but who are VERY tuned in (pun intended). Lots of those types in the firearms world and engines/racing, and they typically make us "educated" folks feel like idiots.

How did the 10/22's shoot compared to the Suhl? I always thought trying to make an ultra-accurate 10/22 was kind of like hopping up a V6 Mustang....spend a ton of money and effort to get something that runs like a GT does out of the box. At least that's what I saw with mine compared to my CZ. Not saying they aren't the best all-around .22 going, just not ideal for that type of shooting.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the informative and interesting write up! I've never even heard of a "tuner" for a rifle, interesting concept for sure. Looks like a fun test setup, beautiful equipment!

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Great question and one I hope Top Hat 45 may address more fully. As for my report, I didn't remove the tuner because I didn't want to do anything that might be a problem for such a fine rifle. I was making an assumption that by shooting the tuner over its full adjustment range, that surely I would see some of the worst accuracy as well as hopefully the best. From the final line chart you can see that a 1.0 MOA was the "bad" performance for this rifle (with me as the shooter). The presence of the tuner as just a "bloop" tube may have improved its accuracy over that of a plain barrel. I don't know.

Glad to hear I was on the right track, although I didn't get to a solid final answer. That's one thing I learned, it will take a fair amount of ammo to find a tuner's sweet spot.

the suhl rifle was smithed by gene davis and had the mid barrel tuner and the hoehn tuner on it when i bought it, nor have i taken it off to shoot it. the 10-22's were buily by me and were shot before i installed the tuners, but those projects were several years ago and to be honest i cant give you the exact improvement that the tuners made, but improve the shooting they did.

the ar rifle was shot quite a bit before the tuner, first i developed the load the barrel liked then added the tuner and group sizes shrank just like on the 22's.

when i first installed the tuners i was amazed at how little changing the tuner made such an impact in regards to poi with no change in the poa. as your targets clearly show turning 25 clicks made a large difference in where the group ended up on paper.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Very nice article! I believe the Browning BOSS system also does this very thing on big game rifles. From the Youtube video I watched they provide a list of ammunition that is available from other makers and then provide the rough setting for that ammo.

Top Bottom