Strange Police UD, Key Ring (Florida, where else?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Chamber of Commerce isn't going to like this. A police unintentional discharge in Edgewater, Florida.

The Captain's Journal » Edgewater Police Investigate Officer?s Negligent Discharge Of AR-15

Official pooooleeeece explanation is a key ring:

Key ring blamed for Edgewater officer's accidental AR-15 rifle shot | News-JournalOnline.com

Me thinks a donkey d**k single point sling is the culprit.

Watch your dingleberries, boys. Watch all that Timmy Tactical b.s., tape it up, or better yet, cut if off or leave it off. A $3 carry strap from the gun show will serve better and not strain your Chief's budget.

Guns DO go bang even without fingers.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I'm not buying the key ring story. Me thinks it's a CYA move.
    No more key rings for officers in Edgewater. Sure beats no fingers!

BTW, I'm glad I don't live on a street named Kumquat Drive.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Did not read the link but will chime in, in typical INGO fasion. Not defending anyone (ie the Officer) but some agencies do issue keys on key rings that have the dog chain type attachments on them. They are attached to the belt by key keepers. I have seen some get "tangled" in some unthinkable places but have never seen one cause a UD/AD whatever they call it these days. I could see that happening with a Glock/M&P or similar trigger.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In the article, I missed the part where the possessor of the rifle was charged with reckless endangerment?
    Ha, in Marion County anyway, no one gets charged with that...I've tried. You have to show they were trying to hit someone for the prosecutor to file. We stopped trying to enforce that law at New Years when we find people shooting in the air because the prosecutor won't touch them.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A key ring is not an excuse for stupid.

Leo, again not defending anything just discussing but if you have NEVER had a AR 15 or MP 5 safety get flipped to fire from gear you have not carried on that long. I say this as a 11 year member being on as well as training with SWAT teams in the Department of Justice. We did not carry "keys" on our tactical gear but I have seen on different live fire shoot and move courses once a member shooting his MP 5 engaged went to safe (I was the safety man running behind him and observed it) he put it over his back as our SOP and ran the course (we trained like the real thing) and about 100 yards into the run we all heard this muffled "gack" and saw some dust fly. It was the safety on his MP 5 not only off but the strap we fasten them with manipulated the trigger. And we were very well trained and even worked with various FBI SWAT teams so it was not "operator error" by any means.

While there is a big difference between intense tactical training and walking into a room a vaguely written new paper article is not cause for me to want the guy hanged right away. In 28 years of carrying a gun for work in one for or another I have seen a couple times where things "just happened"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If only someone would design an AR-15 with a thumb safety.

"Hey, BBI, I did design a thumb safety into it. Let me flip this over and show you."

a1-3.jpeg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Running around with loaded weapons AND having a keyring flapping around to snag on everything IS a really dumb idea. They need to clean up their gear.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yo, dog, I heard you like different calibers. So I got you a different caliber, the original .222, for your different caliber fetish . . . oh, and I took off the lawn mower muffler.

ARjpeg-vi.jpg

Pfft, you aren't tricking me. No rails? How am I going to hang my tactical thingies on it? And a single point sling so it can bang me in the jibbly bits when I run?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ha, in Marion County anyway, no one gets charged with that...I've tried. You have to show they were trying to hit someone for the prosecutor to file. We stopped trying to enforce that law at New Years when we find people shooting in the air because the prosecutor won't touch them.

Is this the current prosecutor or prior ones as well. I'm beginning to think you have a professional dislike for the prosecutorial choices made in Marion County. :):

Pfft, you aren't tricking me. No rails? How am I going to hang my tactical thingies on it? And a single point sling so it can bang me in the jibbly bits when I run?
    I thought those came pre-assembled at birth.

Top Bottom