• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mark my words. The attorneys will be the only winners here. Remington will lose money, Attorneys will get lots of that money for their time, and on an individual basis, owners will likely get next to nothing as the balance gets spread around to those 2 million owners. Generally speaking, until affected parties start getting REAL compensation (full refunds, etc) I cant see CAs being beneficial to the plaintiffs.

Granted I've never been party to anything this big, but every CA that has been won that Ive been a party to, my "win" was pennies on the dollar for what I was out, or in one case, I got more of what I didnt want (extended membership) free.

The latter was even more offensive, because I signed up due to the website fabricating reasons for me to give them my money in the first place. Had they not done what got them sued, I wouldnt have been out the money, and wouldnt have had an interest in signing up in the first place. It was classmates.com... they got busted for outright lying to free members telling them that they had messages waiting. Only full paid members could correspond. (there were never any messages)

No offense to our INGO attorneys. I just cant stand class actions.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My 700 did this once - fired when I closed the bolt. I don't blame the mechanism, I blame my cleaning procedure. The difference between me and Barbara is I understood, "EEZ GON, EEZ NOT SAFE" and cognitively knew where the muzzle was pointed.

Two questions:
    1. why did she flip the safety off to unload it?
    2. Do I get a free upgrade to a new trigger?

As to the article, engineer's are a pragmatic folk, that's why there's so few PE's: we realize a piece of paper does not make a good engineer.

It used to be that civil engineers had the power to kill a lot of people. Now days it's us software engineers that can do the most damage. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A possible recall of more than 5 million rifles , that's gonna hurt Remington's stock .

Technically, it hurts the private company Cerberus Capital Management. They're the owners of the Freedom Group, a holding company that contains Remington and others.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    My 700 did this once - fired when I closed the bolt. I don't blame the mechanism, I blame my cleaning procedure. The difference between me and Barbara is I understood, "EEZ GON, EEZ NOT SAFE" and cognitively knew where the muzzle was pointed.

Two questions:
    1. why did she flip the safety off to unload it?

:D
    Model 700s manufactured before 1982 have a safety that lock the bolt closed when engaged. The only way to open the bolt to unload the rifle is to move the safety to the fire position.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Model 700s manufactured before 1982 have a safety that lock the bolt closed when engaged. The only way to open the bolt to unload the rifle is to move the safety to the fire position.

I started to do a double facepalm for "why would you need to disengage the safety just to remove a round from the chamber", but then I instantly realized I might offend Saint Browning since you cant budge a 1911 either without disengaging the safety. so I'll downgrade to a standard facepalm. I think the beavertail protects me from his wrath for that...

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    the firing happened to me.....barrel was down toward the ground, pointing about five feet out from me.....as my Dad walked up to the truck, i cycled the safety and the rifle fired.....hit in the dirt 2 feet from his position.....i stood there dumbfounded and asked him if he was hit......no damage, thank god......i sent the rifle in to the factory, they sent it back a couple of months later.....with a new trigger group......i placed the rifle back in its case and have never fired it again.....and i still have friends who say all this is operator error, no fault of the weapon.....my experience negates that......wearing blinders will get you killed.....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Being sloppy or stupid can get you killed too, but if you just blast your kid it gets you money.

Seen quite a few improperly adjusted 700 trigger, and some not maintained. Also seen people who swear they had their finger off the trigger when I watched them put the d*mn digit right on it.

Sure some 700's might have had issues. But my guess is that the overwhelming majority, esp those with "tragedy" associated with them, were people problems first and foremost (since they didn't follow the safety rules my guess is that they flubbed it in other aspects as well).

The CNBC show was a thinly veiled con job and if that helped push this lawsuit, may they all rot in friggin' Hell.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Too many people own screwdrivers.
    A lot of them are also klutzes.
    A trigger should be adjusted within its safe limits.
    Unfortunately with Walker triggers, that might not be very much.
    Stock spring is too short.
    Easy fix.
    Still too many haven't a clue.

Got two smokin' deals on a couple of Remingtons because previous owners were idiots.

Had another person bought them they might have been a star on that CNBC show.

Yup, they mucked 'em up and didn't tell prospective buyers. That's beyond idiot, that's pure A hole.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Too many people own screwdrivers.
    A lot of them are also klutzes.
    A trigger should be adjusted within its safe limits.
    Unfortunately with Walker triggers, that might not be very much.
    Stock spring is too short.
    Easy fix.
    Still too many haven't a clue.

Got two smokin' deals on a couple of Remingtons because previous owners were idiots.

Had another person bought them they might have been a star on that CNBC show.

Yup, they mucked 'em up and didn't tell prospective buyers. That's beyond idiot, that's pure A hole.

To sell a gun that you know has safety issues is the epitome of stupidity and self greed. Get it fixed or cut it up and throw it away. I have done both.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had an old scheister dump his 7 Mag BAR at my LGS.
    Could see he was a bit squirrely.
    Chamber showed empty when looking through ejection port.
    But it wasn't.
    Cleaning rod knocked out a 7mm-08 round.
    No damage, gun fine............but the SOB tried to pull a fast one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had an old scheister dump his 7 Mag BAR at my LGS.
    Could see he was a bit squirrely.
    Chamber showed empty when looking through ejection port.
    But it wasn't.
    Cleaning rod knocked out a 7mm-08 round.
    No damage, gun fine............but the SOB tried to pull a fast one.

I hate those guys. Hate them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Most of my rem 700 are pre 1982. The idea up to that point was a limb branch or clothing could unlatch the bolt and cause you to miss your buck or whatever you were hunting because the action would not fire. Locking the bolt closed solves this. I missed a huge coyote on a drive when a small twig somehow got my auto5 browning action open just a bit in heavy brush.

To unload just dump the rounds out the bottom and click off safety and eject chambered round while doing this safely. I like this personally. I have seen a few that had triggers adjusted to low. These trigger are easy to mess up when someone does not know when to stop. I have a bench rest only single shot 22 that is in the ounces pressure over 10 oz and it goes bang. Ok in a very controlled situation but not for hunting but that rifle is close to 13 pounds with scope. Some people just do not realize when enough is going over the limit. I have seen people in the past brag about hunting rifles with 24 oz or so triggers on rem 700's. I can only wonder how they got them that light as my best one factory was 4.75 pounds.

Do we yet know which model trigger this lawsuit was over as this story was fairly old and who knows which rifle was involved. Lock style? Unlocked style? XMp style? Recalled XMp style?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The lawsuit is probably against the ones showcased in the BS CNBC show (AKA Walker triggers).
    BTW, one can get factory Walker trigger down pretty low.
    But to do it safely one has to change at least one spring, and even then it can only go down to whatever the components as an assembly safely allow.

"Safely allow"..............seen folks test trigger settings rather mildly. I'm pretty brutal when I do it, and my stuff goes under 2# no prob.

Crap 600 had sloppy housing, with spring change it was safe at 28 oz.

That's heavy for a varminter IMHO.

Brownells used to sell a spring pack. I just had other stuff that worked fine (for decades). It's a couple of pieces and 3 screws, yet quite a few folks can't understand how it works, even after visiting the web...................those people should probably just play golf and leave all gun matters to others.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Faulty trigger my a--. It is more like morons handling guns, little or no maintenance and or people jacking around with a trigger adjustment that didn't have a clue what they where doing. While I would agree that some triggers have left the factory that were defection in some way I do not believe for a nano second it is the design. And more important the the trigger is the fact that if someone would not have pointed one of those guns at someone then no one would be dead or hurt...even with a defective trigger design.

Top Bottom