• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    So I was watching the lost world and in the movie the lead hunter declines his fee for helping collect the dinosaurs in exchange for the right to hunt the male tyrannosaurus. He is seen carting some kind of double barrel elephant gun. In my mind that still seems too small for me. So I was wondering if you were to go in a dinosaur island what guns would you take? Either for hunting or protection. The two main predators in the movie are the tyrannosaurus and the raptors.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    A sharp knife and my bad attitude.

The hunter was played by Pete Postlewaite, a fine Brit actor, who is now sadly deceased. Some may remember him as the lawyer in "The Usual Suspects."

I am not sure what rifle he was carrying, or the caliber. I always figured it to be a Holland & Holland or something else expensive.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A couple mini-guns mounted on a chopper and reign( or is it "rain") down death from above?:)

I can't remember from the old days if the T-rex's and raptors stayed in the denser eastern US woods or if they ventured out onto open territory. It's been a long time.

I think a 30 cal AR type rifle would be okay for self defense. And since this is an island, it is probably pretty densely wooded so I could use the same.

Oh, and a .380 for my backup!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I think for a trex I'd want something in atleast 50 bmg and considering the movie raptors are fast pack hunters I think a SAW would be nice although carrying both would be a pain.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    A couple mini-guns mounted on a chopper and reign( or is it "rain") down death from above?:)

I can't remember from the old days if the T-rex's and raptors stayed in the denser eastern US woods or if they ventured out onto open territory. It's been a long time.

I think a 30 cal AR type rifle would be okay for self defense. And since this is an island, it is probably pretty densely wooded so I could use the same.

Oh, and a .380 for my backup!

In honor of the resurrected thread, Don's guns will now advertise the Bersa 380 as a T-rex back up gun.
    Price just jumped $150.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So I was watching the lost world and in the movie the lead hunter declines his fee for helping collect the dinosaurs in exchange for the right to hunt the male tyrannosaurus. He is seen carting some kind of double barrel elephant gun. In my mind that still seems too small for me. So I was wondering if you were to go in a dinosaur island what guns would you take? Either for hunting or protection. The two main predators in the movie are the tyrannosaurus and the raptors.

It was a 600 nitro express double rifle.

600NitroExpressK.jpg

That's plenty powerful enough for the task hahahaha.

I'd say a 12 gauge with brenneke slugs would be plenty good enough for the smaller things. Some of the bigger things would require the big bores.

"Two rifles were made for the production of this movie by B. Searcy & Co. of Boron, CA. Steven Spielberg is said to own one of them himself. The location of the other is unknown. Both rifles made for the movie are real and fully functional. As with all double rifles, the intense amount of time and labor to make them dictates a price tag of several tens-of-thousands of dollars."

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Lost_World:_Jurassic_Park,_The

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In honor of the resurrected thread, Don's guns will now advertise the Bersa 380 as a T-rex back up gun.
    Price just jumped $150.

Sorry no .380 for me. I want my dinosaur pistol to be able to blow my head clean off. Single shot model would be just fine.

Edit: unless I am hunting with a partner. Then anything 25 acp and up will work fine. Bullet only has to punch through a human kneecap.

For a rifle, something in 50 cal and preferably belt fed

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    If anyone read the book, Muldoon used a rocket launcher to kill raptors.

Yes, the movie could have been so much cooler.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I think I could take on a pair of T-Rex with my old, trusty M-60 machine gun. Too bad the daily bag limit is only one........

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sorry no .380 for me. I want my dinosaur pistol to be able to blow my head clean off. Single shot model would be just fine.

Edit: unless I am hunting with a partner. Then anything 25 acp and up will work fine. Bullet only has to punch through a human kneecap.

For a rifle, something in 50 cal and preferably belt fed

Ma's hard to beat on soft targets, just need plenty of ammo and a steady place to shoot.:)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, something like the .600 Nitro Express or .50 BMG would probably work. T-Rex was (best average guesses) about 25% larger than the large African bull elephant, or about 9 - 10 tons.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :facepalm: All of you have it so wrong!
    Have you not been paying attention to the 9mm vs .45 acp debate?
    9mm kills the body, but .45 acp kills the soul!
    All you need is a pair of .45 acp just like Burce Willis in "Last Man Standing".
    ;)

Top Bottom