• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I've been spending a lot of time over on one of the firearm sub-reddits, and something has come to my attention that I'm hoping someone can explain to me.

Why are Russian surplus firearms dirt cheap in Canada, when we have to pay an arm and a leg for them here?

Here are some GREAT examples. I found a Canadian firearms distributor selling Russian SKS's for $200 (Canadian). That's roughly $180 (U.S.) Another example that actually made me angry. SVT-40's are DIRT cheap up there. Quality, and I do mean qual....:drool::drool::drool: Sorry, I got distracted by the thought of an SVT-40. They're going for $300 (Canadian), or $270 (U.S.)

Why? I know Canadian firearm laws blow, but what makes their prices so much lower compared to here?

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I think the sks with its fixed box magazine wouldn't be an issue. It would be limited to 5 rounds. I remember when bradis had sks for like $79 even converted to current funds that's under $200. Our laws are to blame for the higher prices. They can't be imported like they use to be. They will let this country destroy itself by buying foreign produced everything else but it's the end of the world if some cheap semi auto rifles get imported. Nagants are still cheap :p

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    dang think I can just drive to Canada pick a svt 40 up and come back? That has to be illegal though no way we would be allowed to have a 2nd amendment that means what it says. Im dying for a SVT. Some one just bought one on here and I drooled all over the key board.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Canada has no firearms/ammo import embargo with Russia and China like we do. Our "Russian" surplus comes from Ukraine, none of it from Russia. We also have a higher demand, forcing prices up. Russia has the motherload of surplus weapons (warehouses of German captured weapons) that we can never import :( Hell, Canada can still buy new Norinco arms...ammo is plentiful as well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    dang think I can just drive to Canada pick a svt 40 up and come back? That has to be illegal though no way we would be allowed to have a 2nd amendment that means what it says. Im dying for a SVT. Some one just bought one on here and I drooled all over the key board.
    Who would sell it to you...and none of those UGLY import stamps!!!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You are free to do what you think you are man enough to suffer the consequences of. It is quite illegal if you are discovered.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    You are free to do what you think you are man enough to suffer the consequences of. It is quite illegal if you are discovered.

It's also illegal for illegal aliens to be here. There's a whole list of things the feds aren't enforcing. This one, however, they probably would 'pour encourager les autres'.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think the sks with its fixed box magazine wouldn't be an issue. It would be limited to 5 rounds. I remember when bradis had sks for like $79 even converted to current funds that's under $200. Our laws are to blame for the higher prices. They can't be imported like they use to be. They will let this country destroy itself by buying foreign produced everything else but it's the end of the world if some cheap semi auto rifles get imported. Nagants are still cheap :p

Ahh...the good old days. I wound up paying more than that when I bought mine but then again, I can remember when all this *pointing finger out the window* was all just cornfields. :D

It's also illegal for illegal aliens to be here. There's a whole list of things the feds aren't enforcing. This one, however, they probably would 'pour encourager les autres'.

What's that Kirk's always saying about nullification? :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe there is also a cost-of-entry issue. I believe there are permits and gun club memberships necessary, so that effectively makes it more expensive to own firearms.

[Couple minutes later.]

Quick google-fu revealed this informative info. Some of my understanding was pre-2012:
    Here's how gun control works in Canada - Vox

Doesn't really explain the inexpensiveness.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Ahh...the good old days. I wound up paying more than that when I bought mine but then again, I can remember when all this *pointing finger out the window* was all just cornfields. :D

:fogey:

me too

What's that Kirk's always saying about nullification? :D

Kirk should be along shortly. He's probably doing his Tai Chi routine still...

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    This guy does a lot of videos on melee weapons but discusses Canadian gun/knife laws from time to time. I think he emigrated from Norway.

You have to have a permit($$$) for basically everything.

[video=youtube_share;ir8t3S9z03Y]http://youtu.be/ir8t3S9z03Y[/video]

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Oh well. I guess the higher prices we pay is a decent trade off for the guns we get to have Canadians can't own.

Top Bottom