• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Rossi .44 mag lever gun that I want to deer hunt with. Question for the experts....Should I use a scope, red dot or stick with the iron sights. I'm thinking that around 100 yards will be the max I would shoot this rifle out to. What are the benefits and drawbacks of the different set ups? I searched around for suggestions but didn't have much luck getting answers. Also what is the ammo of choice for others using this gun for deer hunting?

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    I am not an expert, but I use a marlin 1894 44 mag with red dot scope and Hornady leverelution ammo. Killer combo for me. Also something to think about, is the Rossi top eject? If so that can make a scope interesting.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am not an expert, but I use a marlin 1894 44 mag with red dot scope and Hornady leverelution ammo. Killer combo for me. Also something to think about, is the Rossi top eject? If so that can make a scope interesting.

Its top eject but apperantly there is a way to moutn scopes and red dots. How far out are you willing to shoot a deer with that combo?

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    No need for glass with Indiana deer...like you said, 100 YDS is pretty much tops.

Skinner peeps work well... Marble is another alternative if you expect to be shooting further.

For deer, irons work pretty well out to 200-300.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I like a scope as Allen said 2-7. The magnification will help to see any little limbs or branches that can affect the shot. The drawback will be slower acquisition speed of the target.

If you're stalk hunting and shooting off hand, then open sights or red dot might be best.

Perched in a tree stand a good scope would be ideal for a rare 100 yard shot through woods.

Before the hunt I tighten all the fittings, then test fire my gun and scope at the lowest, and then the highest magnification.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Doesn't matter what scope you choose if the gun doesn't fit right.....you're gonna be screwed on fast or long shots.
    Treestands..............I've had shots right at the base of my tree out to 165 yards (some stands placed at field edges).
    Also worked drives, or stalked/still hunted. A 1X is awesome for movers, but a good fitting rig and 2X is good...........esp if shot w both eyes open.
    When younger I did it with 4X scope, both eyes open.............but it was a Leupold Compact..............no longer made. Kinda gangly looking but had better characteristics over the newer style.

My current deer rifle wears a 2-7X. It's chambered for a 200 yard cartridge.

Speed...............you look at the target and bring the gun up and into your line of sight. Proper scope/mounting and gun fit should have the image "there".
    IMHO 2x or 7X the speed should be the same.

Anybody who uses a scope to go and find their target is doing it wrong.

High mag makes some folks notice their wobbles more and may cause them to try and counter them, making things worse.
    Lack of experience is lack of experience. There's only one way to solve that.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    During fire arm season I use a Henry BigBoy 44mag and I stick with iron sights to keep it old school. But with my rears adjusted for a 50 yard Ero I only have a 2-3 inch drop at 100 yards. No need for scope. Plus my Henry will average a 3 inch group at 100 yards with Hornady 240gr XTPs.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just to clarify, when I recommend a little zoom its not to extend your range, its for threading the needle. If the deer is standing in the wide open it wont matter, but here in Indiana we have thick brush. Its a pain to sneak a bullet threw thick brush (especially a 44 which is easily deflected). Yes a 3 inch group will kill a deer, but not if you have to slide the bullet through a 2 inch gap. Also keep in mind if your shooting a 3 inch group from your lead sled, that doesn't mean you will shoot a 3 inch group hanging off the side of a tree.

I know I take accuracy to the extreme when hunting, but I believe the deer deserve that. Ive never taken a shot at a deer that ran over 50 yds. I always hear hunters say "it will happen to everyone" after they make a bad shot on a deer and it runs miles and dies slow. I don't think it has to happen to everyone. The PRATICE, the proper equipment, and knowing your limitations can fix that, and a little zoom WILL extend your limitations.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Even perfectly placed bullets can lead to a 100+ yard bloodtrail.
    Lots of factors, lots of variables.

An unfortunate constant............most folks are sloppy and stupid.

Good glass and a deer tag aint gonna fix that.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Just went thru this on a buddies rossi.

You will need a handgun or eer scope in order to work properly since the screws for the base are forward of the receiver.

He went with a 2-6x32.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The Rossi irons stink (IMO) so for me it was a red dot or IER scope. Most of the pistol scopes I tried required too much eye relief to get a good view, but the Leupold (2.5x) & Burris (2.75x) scout scopes were GTG. I believe Leupold now offers a variable version, but I doubt I would mess with it.

I started out with a Burris FastFire and tried a Vortex SPARC, which was fantastic except I wanted some magnification. I never found a scope to be as fast as the dots, but I was never comfortable with the red dots for hunting (the dots seemed too large for my comfort as I got past 100yds.)

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    Its top eject but apperantly there is a way to moutn scopes and red dots. How far out are you willing to shoot a deer with that combo?
    The red dot is 1x I believe. I mostly hunt woods on our own property so no extremely long shots. I sighted it in at 50 yards and had no drop at 70 yards.(70 is as long as my home range is) Two years ago, opening morning, 3 deer, 3 shots in 30 minutes, all 3 bled out and dropped in less than 30 yards. Longest shot was approx. 80 yards. I was one very happy camper and will bet that it never happens again.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Vortex StrikeFire came with a 2x magnifier thread in lens. I did not shoot with it, but it did not seem to be awesome when i messed around with it. But it is probably the cheapest way to magnify a red dot.

The line of sight with the magnifier was poor, a low power scope seemed much better to me.

Top Bottom