• ...and so much more!
  • Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Very sad news.

But if it turns out to have happened as reported, I can't see any blame on the LEOs. If it turns out that the kid did not reach for/grab the toy gun, that will be a different story. We'll just have to wait and see.

Side note: I saw a bunch of comments screaming for laws against "toy killing machines" :rolleyes:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I think the title of this thread should be "Cleveland 12yr old with toy gun shot in park" because it presently sounds like he was shot by a toy gun, which is only news if he brought it to school.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Here's the thing that bugs me about the majority of the commentors on this article online: The same people who say all guns are bad and scary and need to be taken away etc are justifying the kid to be allowed to posess a bb gun that is just like a real gun.

And the "he's only 12" doesn't mean anything if that was a real gun. IDC if you are 4 or 40, if its a real gun (which assuming the cop thought it was) don't point it at people....

That being said, sad to hear that a young boy lost his life.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Unfortunately these are the times we live in. We have created a society that is hyper sensitive to guns. When we have people like Shannon Watts "demanding action", because she is scared or intimidated when she sees someone exercising their rights.
    I can see some scared Mom on the playground at the park calling the Police, because she saw a gun. Be it fake or real. This kind of stuff has got to stop.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Unfortunately these are the times we live in. We have created a society that is hyper sensitive to guns. When we have people like Shannon Watts "demanding action", because she is scared or intimidated when she sees someone exercising their rights.
    I can see some scared Mom on the playground at the park calling the Police, because she saw a gun. Be it fake or real. This kind of stuff has got to stop.

So what should have happened? From the article seems the caller wasn't "freaking out", how should this have played out? Everyone should just go about their business because a kid in a park pointing a gun is what OK?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen

Just my perception of how folks may jump to conclusions.
    I could understand people being more upset about the early demise of a 12 year old playing with a toy gun in a park than I can about an 18 year old who just strong arm robbed a store and attacked a police officer.
    The facts will come out; how folks accept them can be interesting.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Your actions determine the outcome. Regardless of the "orange tip" or not pointing it at someone is a bad idea.

pretty soon we are going to see a cop killed because the perp painted the tip of his real gun Orange and the cop didn't fire because it was a fake looking gun.

real simple, if you don't want to get shot, quit being stupid.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Just my perception of how folks may jump to conclusions.
    I could understand people being more upset about the early demise of a 12 year old playing with a toy gun in a park than I can about an 18 year old who just strong arm robbed a store and attacked a police officer.
    The facts will come out; how folks accept them can be interesting.
    In the mind of the 12 year old, he may have been playing. I don't see it that way at all. Pointing a toy gun modified to look like a real one isn't playing. Disobeying the police when ordered to show your hands isn't playing. Grabbing for a real looking toy gun in your waistband while disobeying the police is not playing. I see this as a good shoot by the police as long as the facts we've been presented are accurate. It is sad that a 12 year old is dead due to this,but I dont see it justifying the protesting or rioting more than Ferguson.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    On the fox59 fb feed, many are asking for the cops to shoot him in the leg, not aim to kill...

unreal...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I assume in Ohio you have to be 18 to buy a air gun? First reaction was what kind of idiot of a parent allows this boy to have a air pistol without training him, than I remember of the stunts I pulled over my parents and what my son did. Sad for the family, sad for the police officer, sad for the city.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    I play airsoft with my youth group kids and have several guns. They are ridiculously accurate in appearance. My airsoft 1911 grips are interchangeable with a real 1911, Airsoft Glock 17- I believe the front fiber sight could be installed in a real one, and my airsoft 870's also have interchangeable parts with real ones. As mentioned, a BG could simply paint the front of his real gun and at least get the upper hand.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    So, why didn't dispatch relay all of the details to the patrol officers? The caller indicated that the gun may or may not be real, said it looked fake, but the dispatcher didn't tell the officers this fact.

Top Bottom