• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother came up with an idea for a crowd control measure while watching the complete chaos that was Ferguson ,Missouri.

Ingo seems like a natural place to hash out the details, or discuss whether or not it could even be done.

His idea is simple.
    You know the dye that banks put in their "dye-packs" that mark the bad-guys?
    What if you could load dye-filled rounds into police sniper rifles? Deploy them on roof-tops around the problem area(s).
    Police see a problem? Mark 'em
    Let the guys on the ground sort them out after they flee the scene.
    I'd bet the crowd might disperse more quickly if they start seeing the people around them being "marked".

Seems like it would be easy to do, but then again, how do you make basically a paint-ball round for a high-power rifle?
    You would need to reach a reasonable distance to make it worthwhile.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Or maybe the FN303 ... which has already been in use with all branches of the US armed forces, and multiple LEO agencies for years, and is availible with rounds that use dye / indelible paint?

FN 303 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The answer is, YES, this idea can work... but sorry, its not a new one. Military / LEO have been doing it for years.

Simunition rounds could also work, but read the literature on the link posted above - the RIFLE rounds are only "tactically accurate" out to 30 yards... basically what that is saying, is past 30 yards you can't really predict WHERE your round will impact on the target. The FN 303 is accurate enough to be usefull out to 40 yards - past that distance, it also has accuracy issues.

I have some experience with both platforms, and IMO they are both usefull tools.... tools for specific uses and scenarios. Neither one of them are cure-alls or general use tools.

The fact of the mater is that conventional 37mm gas guns with conventional wood/rubber impact rounds and conventional CN gas rounds are all still adequate for 99% of crowd control measures.

IF IT WERE ME (and I'm nobody) I would arm most of my crowd control officers with a conventional 37mm gas gun, and give them both wooden impact rounds as well as launching cartridges to lob the CN grenades. The rank of officers with less lethal weapons would be backed up by a few supervisors with lethal weapons like AR15s - but that is all prety much SOP for the majority of riot / crowd control teams out there.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Flamethrowers. Identify the culprits later by the singing. If you accidentally set something on fire, well, no one will notice just one more.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    It is a great idea, but sadly no politician wants to actually solve the problem, because that would be one less thing they could use to pass bills to screw the people. There is a real easy solution, but they dont want that. They need things like this to keep the good tax paying citizens in line

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ah. I see this is a joke thread.

I don't know why I keep thinking people are serious when they talk about less lethal weapons. I just never learn.

Well, it didn't start out as a joke, or at least I didn't intend it that way.
    We all know though that things tend to get twisted and taken out of context pretty easily on Ingo.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Tranquilizer darts. Then radio-collar/GPS so you can track them from protest/riot to the next event.

There could be some federal money to conduct this study... :dunno:

On a more serious note, a sound truck playing Obama's speeches, a la the pied piper of Hamlin, and lead them out of town...

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Tranquilizer darts. Then radio-collar/GPS so you can track them from protest/riot to the next event.

There could be some federal money to conduct this study... :dunno:

On a more serious note, a sound truck playing Obama's speeches, a la the pied piper of Hamlin, and lead them out of town...

Now THAT is funny.

Top Bottom