• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    The National Rifle Association’s annual convention is returning to Indianapolis—twice.

Visit Indy signed a deal in December to bring the NRA’s massive annual show back to the Indiana Convention Center in 2019 and 2023, city tourism officials confirmed.Indianapolis hosted the NRA event for the first time last April, and the convention drew 75,267 attendees, the second highest in the convention’s history, following a record of 86,228 in Houston in 2013.
    “We had one of our best meetings ever last year in Indianapolis,” NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said. “I can’t say enough about the convention center and Visit Indy staff. They have a world-class operation there, and our members had an absolutely great time. This was an easy decision for us.”

IBJ Story here:

Indy lands return of massive NRA show for 2019, 2023 | 2015-01-22 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Indy is a really good choice for NRA. For one thing, it looks a lot better to have a convention at a location where carrying isn't prohibited.

Shannon Watts will need to get busy and put on a better show this time.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    This was my first NRA event here and I couldn't get enough. Really glad to see it returning and I feel like I'll be better prepared to take advantage of the classes and resources now that I have a feel for how the convention works.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Held in Indy last year for the first time? That's really odd as I attended one in Indy before that one. Visit Indy should do their home work a bit better.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The National Rifle Association’s annual convention is returning to Indianapolis—twice.

Visit Indy signed a deal in December to bring the NRA’s massive annual show back to the Indiana Convention Center in 2019 and 2023, city tourism officials confirmed.Indianapolis hosted the NRA event for the first time last April, and the convention drew 75,267 attendees, the second highest in the convention’s history, following a record of 86,228 in Houston in 2013.
    “We had one of our best meetings ever last year in Indianapolis,” NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said. “I can’t say enough about the convention center and Visit Indy staff. They have a world-class operation there, and our members had an absolutely great time. This was an easy decision for us.”

IBJ Story here:

Indy lands return of massive NRA show for 2019, 2023 | 2015-01-22 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

I think you are incorrect - this past year is not the first year the NRA convention has been held in Indianapolis. I personally attended an NRA an convention several years ago. Not certain which year without doing some research. Just to clarify.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Ten, what that the '70s? I cannot for the life of me remember when the first NRA meeting in Indy was. '78 right after Cincy?

I cannot recall either, that being a good while back, but the 70's some time sounds right. I do remember though, it was later published in the Star that it had the highest attendance record at that time. Looks like it might get it again.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I missed the last one, I hope I can make it in '19!

Looks like it will be in Louisville in '16 I see after a quick search so maybe I'll be able to go then as '19 seems a long way off...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This was my first NRA event here and I couldn't get enough. Really glad to see it returning and I feel like I'll be better prepared to take advantage of the classes and resources now that I have a feel for how the convention works.

I was quite impressed for a first timer too and will get more out of the show next time.

After hearing all the dire consequences of hosting the NRA beforehand were there any safety issues at all with all those gun nuts with guns in one place???

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Whoever landed those two conventions deserves a huge pat on the back.

That is a heck of a score for Indy!

Last year was my first NRA convention and I was blown away.

Not only did the companies bring their big name spokesmen and products, they also brought their engineers! For a nerd like myself, it is hard to beat getting to talk guns and accessories with the people who designed them.

I am so happy to hear that we get the convention again in 2019! (and 15 and 16 are pretty close too).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Last year was my first NRA convention and I was blown away by how much fun it was. I used to think the 1500 was fun, but since the NRA convention, the 1500 just seems like a flea market in comparison. I decided to just stop by on one of the first days to see what it was about and even then, I was thinking I'd skip it. I ended up going and had so much fun, I went the rest of the days and dragged family there too.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    '78 doesn't really count. Heck, I was 8 years old...
    I'm sure the shows back in the 70's were peanuts compared to the shows today... except for the disco dancing and Afros
    If you want to be technical... ok, '78 was the first show in Indy, but 2014 was the first real modern day kick ass NRA convention.

Wow, that was a great show.
    I had such a good time, I'm planning to go down to Nashville, TN for it this year. It's only a 5 hour drive.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Does anyone know where it is in 2017 and 2018?

I'm planning on going to Nashville, and then Louisville for the next 2.

Top Bottom