Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Magazines-The Spring

"Keeping the mag loaded will wear out the spring." Recently there has been a bunch of talk on this subject. The recent school of thought is if you have a newer model firearm/magazine the spring will be fine (the main concern is the ammo). The main wear comes from loading and unloading.
    Then you have the other side saying make sure you unload to relax the spring and not wear it out. This is where someone chimes in saying that's why you should have a revolver.

Anyone have any experiences or read these articles either way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstater98 View Post
    "Keeping the mag loaded will wear out the spring." Recently there has been a bunch of talk on this subject. The recent school of thought is if you have a newer model firearm/magazine the spring will be fine (the main concern is the ammo). The main wear comes from loading and unloading.
    Then you have the other side saying make sure you unload to relax the spring and not wear it out. This is where someone chimes in saying that's why you should have a revolver.

Anyone have any experiences or read these articles either way?
    TheHossUSMC:

http://youtu.be/QRw7yqz-3-s

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstater98 View Post
    hickock45:

http://youtu.be/RlgxOW9QzKc

"How often should you unload the magazine of your concealed carry firearm? Does constant pressure on the spring wear it out over time?"
    How Often Should You Unload The Magazine Of Your Concealed Carry Firearm? | Concealed Nation
    There is dialogue below the article too.

In the past, any time I had mag issues I disassembled the mag and let the spring stretch out for a couple days. It did the trick for me.

On the "Spring Theory"...I've thought about that and realized that guns have springs in them too
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

Quality springs wear out via USE. Compression/decompression cycles.

Sub-par springs, or mistreated springs can, will, and do see accelerated wear to the point of unusability and/or breakage.

Issues with long-term storage of loaded mags aren't always associated with the spring. Depending on the quality of the mag, the construction material, and the capacity all come together to determine long-term loaded viability.

A third-party polymer construction Glock mag may swell under the pressures of being loaded faster/more than a Glock factory mag with the metal sleeve insert.

"Hi capacity" double-stack pistol mags exert a lot of pressures, in more than one direction, upon a mag body.

Mag bodies can swell under this pressure. Feed lips can deform.

If I knew I was going to be storing loaded M&P mags for a long term, I'd personally download by 1 or 2 cartridges to help alleviate the stresses on the mag body and the feed lips. And if I were to, say, perhaps have a stockpile of loaded PMAGS for an AR, I'd probably also keep them downloaded by 2-3 for the same reason.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

This is why I jack my car up off the wheels and just let them hang for a few days several times per year, tired springs need the opportunity to rest.

I need to find a way to provide a little vacation for my muffler springs as well, they're probably exhausted.

www.reveresriders.org

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    This is why I jack my car up off the wheels and just let them hang for a few days several times per year, tired springs need the opportunity to rest.

I need to find a way to provide a little vacation for my muffler springs as well, they're probably exhausted.

Steel has something called tensile strength. If it exceeds it's ultimate tensile strength, it will weaken the steel. Take a magazine spring for example. Think of the magazine body as a keeper of sorts. It does not allow the spring to be over stressed. If you were to take the spring and compress or lengthen it beyond its ultimate tensile strength, it will never regain it's original length, and will be weakend. It also comes down to the quality of the steel, and if it was heat treated properly. Springs weaken over time do to work hardening. Think of a metal hanger, you can bend it, but if you keep doing so. Eventually it will break. Yet, you can hang something heavy on it, and it will not break. Will it weaken over time, yes. Just like a spring will weaken from being compressed and decompressed over and over. Much more quickly then having a constant load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast