• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    While I have never had or been around one, I did see this video today and thought I would share what a squib round looks like: [VIDEO] The Dreaded Squib Load: This Video Is Sure To Make You Yell At Your Computer Screen | Concealed Nation

More importantly, should this happen, I would like to be prepared. I have seen the the wrapping a rod with electrical tape (to not mar the barrel) and hammering out the bullet technique. Anyone have a sure fire way to take care of this malfunction properly?

If if you have a story to share, I'm sure that would be appreciated too.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Brother in law shooting my 92fs at Indy trading post.(WWB ammo) Shot 6 at the seventh was a puff, he tapped and racked. Screamed at the top of my lungs and everybody stared at me dumbfounded but they laughed when I showed them the bullet stuck in the barrel. When you hear a puff, throw the gun aiming for the head and go for your secondary!:draw: Squibs can kill.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I had a squib load once. The bullet prevented me from fully clambering another round. That's how I discovered the problem. I took a dowel rod piece and put the barrel on a 2x4 and tapped it out with a hammer. I keep that dowel rod segment in my cleaning kit in case I get another.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Had a squib Dec in my 4506-1 got home and tapped it out with a punch and rubber mallet. I caught it right away before I pulled that trigger again.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Hard wood dowel rod, or brass rod made for the occasion. Easy to do.

But not this way. At the range once, fellow in next bay had a squib. Breaks down the gun, goes to car, comes back with a steel rod and sledge hammer.
    Places feed ramp on CONCRETE, inserts metal rod in barrel and starts whaling away with sledge. :runaway:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hard wood dowel rod, or brass rod made for the occasion. Easy to do.

But not this way. At the range once, fellow in next bay had a squib. Breaks down the gun, goes to car, comes back with a steel rod and sledge hammer.
    Places feed ramp on CONCRETE, inserts metal rod in barrel and starts whaling away with sledge. :runaway:

... and then proceeds to sell his inaccurate-and-unrealiable-for-no-good-reason handgun

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of brass rod that fits closely to your bore dia. Cut it down to about one and a half the length of your longest barrel. Keep it in your range bag. Brass will not harm your rifling. NEVER EVER use a piece of steel or wood. It doesn't matter if it's "hardwood". The wood can split and wedge around the bullet and lodge the bullet even tighter and then you get to drill out the mess or replace the barrel. Steel will do damage to your bore. Don't take my word for it - ask any gunsmith. I've seen guys use wood a couple of times and really make a mess because they simply didn't know any better.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom