Am I crazy to consider selling my AR15 for something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I currently have 2 Ar15's. The first 1 is complete, minus the Aimpoint I'd like to get for it. The 2nd, is a build in progress. I only have the stripped lower and the complete BCM upper. That one has been sitting in my safe since the middle of summer.

I had planned on finishing the build, but I just can't bring myself to spend anymore money on it. I do have other hobbies. :)

I just keep thinking I still have to buy the rest of the parts to get the rifle going, and not to mention that 2 scopes I'll have to eventually get.
    That's a lot of money.....

So, I have found myself trying to come up with reasons to have 2 rifles. I also have been thinking of what I could buy if I happened to sell that AR15.

I could get the 1911 I have always wanted to have. I dunno what one, but I have always wanted one.
    I could buy another handgun, and an aimpoint.
    I could also just use the money on my house, or spread it out on my other hobbies.

Or I should just stop being crazy, and finish the damn AR and just be lucky I have been fortunate enough to have 2 rifles.....

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Are the two AR's meant for different purposes? One carbine and one precision, something along those lines? If not, I'd say sell one and get something else you'll get enjoyment out of. Just my two cents...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Sounds like you don't really have a void the other rifle is filling. Sell it and move on. I don't even own an AR anymore, and don't feel any different than when I did own one.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Is the BCM upper different enough from the other upper you have to just keep it and switch them back and forth on the same lower? If so sell the stripped lower and your'e done! I don't see anything wrong with a couple AR's myself, but I shoot mine off and on. If you never shoot the one then sell the parts and buy something you will use.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Why don't you own one now?

I prefer slow deliberate fire. IE bolt actions.

If I am going to burn through ammo w/ a semi auto, I want it to be dirt cheap ammo, so either factor .22 or reloaded 9mm.

I just don't have anywhere near as much fun w/ an AR and 30 round mags, as I do w/ a bolt action and 10 round mags.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I sold mine (only one) to buy an M1 carbine. No regrets. :) My vote would be to sell it and get something else you'd like if you already have another.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    so... if you ONLY need a lower parts kit, watch PSA for sales and get one for $70, then finish it.
    My personal experience, I'll always have at least ONE AR in my safe. I sold my first AR about 3 months before Sandy Hook and had to wait until about 3 months ago to finish my new AR. I think everyone should have 1. Then, there's the old adage that two is one, and one is none. It's good to have a backup, but not necessary (maybe keep an extra bolt or full bcg as a spare)

I didn't see if you answered the question if the two uppers are drastically different, a little different, or identical.

I would finish the one, and just put basic iron sights on it, AND get the aimpoint for the other. Eventually, if you want, get another aimpoint or mid-power scope for the newer build, but you don't have to now. (I like the idea of 2, but if they hardly ever get shot to begin with, keep 1 + something you'll use more often)

**All this is assuming that there are no immediate needs in your gun case -- i.e. everyone should have A centerfire handgun, A centerfire rifle, A shotgun, and A .22 (either handgun or rifle) ... once those are filled, consider reloading also

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you can sell a stripped lower and complete upper and get enough to buy a handgun and an Aimpoint, you should do it. I was going to ask you to sell me your BCG and charging handle, but yours probably cost more than my entire project. :):

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Wait we have to have a reason for owning toys? :nailbite: Seriously, I have a few guns/pistol that meets, my perception, of reasons/needs, the rest are toys and the one with the most toys wins. I don't even want to think about how many 10/22 parts I have gathering dust. Last month I traded my Trap Gun (haven't used it for 3 years) for a AR-308. If it will make you happy why not?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Wait we have to have a reason for owning toys? :nailbite: Seriously, I have a few guns/pistol that meets, my perception, of reasons/needs, the rest are toys and the one with the most toys wins. I don't even want to think about how many 10/22 parts I have gathering dust. Last month I traded my Trap Gun (haven't used it for 3 years) for a AR-308. If it will make you happy why not?

it is hard to argue with his logic here...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Actually, I have a reason for every gun/toy that I own. It's just that this particular AR15 is more of a spur of a moment build. At the time, I had the cash, it was burning a hole in my pocket, and I just hit "checkout". It's the only gun I have ever had where I don't have a reason or an excuse to keep it.

It's a first for me....

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I have one AR. I would buy another today if I could afford it. The reason I want 2 is because they would serve different two purposes. To have 2 of the same rifles for no reason, IMO, would only fill the redundancy void. If you have better stuff, or more prioritized stuff, to spend your money on, do it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Actually, I have a reason for every gun/toy that I own. It's just that this particular AR15 is more of a spur of a moment build. At the time, I had the cash, it was burning a hole in my pocket, and I just hit "checkout". It's the only gun I have ever had where I don't have a reason or an excuse to keep it.

It's a first for me....

with that in mind... dump it

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Are the two AR's meant for different purposes? One carbine and one precision, something along those lines? If not, I'd say sell one and get something else you'll get enjoyment out of. Just my two cents...

Are they for different purposes? If they fill the same niche and you don't need a backup, finish it, sell it, then put the money toward a scope. :twocents:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Don't overestimate the cost of the unfinished build. You mentioned needing another scope/optic for it as well (which would increase the cost of "finishing" it). Don't put a scope or an Aimpoint on it. Just throw some sights on it and call it good. Like mentioned by other posters sometimes slow deliberate shooting is fun. I shoot irons up 500yds, that's slow and deliberate shooting, and fun! If your other AR is purpose driven (same as all my builds), then let this one be the spare parts guns and still have some fun with it. I have a thrown together nothing fancy AR that shoots great. It's more of last resort/combat rifle. I can throw it in the dirt and not care less.

Top Bottom