• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good read. His thoughts wandered a bit. In a nutshell carry a 9mm or 45 ACP in a practical sized gun. Don't worry about "split" times or capacity. Make sure you can get hits in vital areas when relatively close. He likes Glocks, VP9 and M&P. If you decide on a 1911 get a quality brand.

What did I miss?

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    That is a good read . The 10% difference between the 9 and 45 was food for thought
    Plus one more person who doesn't like 40 short and weak. Which is what I carry

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It's trendy to hate 40 right now. With no mag capacity limitations and improvements on 9mm, the 40 ain't cool anymore.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Pretty much right on I'd say. He brings together nicely the guy on both sides of the fence I think.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Crap, I was thinking Hackathorn, before I took a Hackathorn class! .40, meh, 1911, get a good one, 9x19 nothing wrong with it, but get a good one!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    From the article:
    " While all of us would choose a gun that holds more bullets, how often does round capacity really matter in the real world? If you miss a lot, then high capacity handguns are a great choice. Remember, shootings and gunfights are generally won by those that hit their targets with accurate shots. "

The most important part of the article IMO. I have been saying something similar for years "If you feel you need a hi-capacity gun for personal protection then you probably do" Some rely on accuracy instead of capacity.
    The last sentence in the above article quote says it all. Speed without accuracy is worthless.

From the article:
    "It is not the number of shots fired, or the splits between the shots fired that matters (anytime I hear some talk about 'splits', I push the delete button on them......splits don't mean **** in the real world)."

I find this quote puzzling as splits can be a deciding factor on possibly surviving an en
    counter. :dunno:

I believe the it has been proven a attacker can cover 21 feet in about 1 second so. How can he say that getting 1 good shot off in that second is better than getting 3 good shots off in the same time?:rolleyes:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would say it is because many people who shoot fast do so at the expense of accuracy. All pretty much relative. Your defintition of fast or accurate might be different from the authors. The trick is not to be faster but rather fast enough. But accuracy can not be sacrificed! Missing is simply not an option that helps.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was looking for a Ken Hackathorn, thread to bump .....

I just caught the last 5 min., of shooting USA, and Ken was demonstrating

reload, He said there are 3 ways, to get the slide forward .....

Handover, slingshot, and THE SLIDE RELEASE !!!!!

Imagine my SHOCK, an EXPERT, like Ken, agreeing

with ME !!!!!

Using a slide release, for it's intended purpose .....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Using a slide release, for it's intended purpose .....

Meh, maybe. Ken was always that way in class but he definitely drilled it into us that we might not be fighting with our own guns and that not every slide stop is where John Moses Browning put it.

Top Bottom