• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have had major issues trying to keep moisture out of my safe. It is in a bad location to begin with, so humidity is high. I tried a golden rod, added silica packs, then bought another golden rod and the humidity was still bad. I bought what fordfarmboy posted and it works flawless. I still keep one golden rod in there though.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    The BEST way? Purge your safe with nitrogen. 0% oxygen content and 0% moisture. Down side is that a bottle of nitrogen won't be cheap and you'll have to re-purge every time you open the safe.

See above for next best/cheaper ways to keep moisture out.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    If I go with the Goldenrod, is there a problem with having my ammo (in steel ammo boxes) in the safe also. I read some of the reviews on Amazon, and some said it gets almost to hot to touch. How will that effect the interior felt material, or the ammo, if it gets that hot?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not sold on the goldenrod. I have one. The one I have is sized for twice the vault I have. I thought it worked. I recently installed a computer monitored temp/humidity sensor in the vault to test it for another purpose. After it was monitored for a while, I unplugged it for several days, then I took note of when I plugged it back in. I just checked the graph and I honestly cant tell any difference before/after the goldenrod.

Granted I dont have a second sensor OUTSIDE the vault to compare it to scientifically, but at first glance I cant tell that I am affecting the humidity at all inside the vault. All I can prove is I am burning more electricity with it on.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I looked at the Eva-Dry Electric Dehumidifier on Amazon, and it appears that you have to empty a small container of water that builds up over time. What happens if you forget to empty the container, does it automatically shut off, or does it run over and cause a mess inside your safe?

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    The Goldenrod is a very good possibility, my only concern was having ammo in the same location as the rod. I have an electrical outlet inside my safe, so that's not a problem.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Goldenrod is a very good possibility, my only concern was having ammo in the same location as the rod. I have an electrical outlet inside my safe, so that's not a problem.

My pseudo-scientific doubts notwithstanding, dont worry about it. You can grab a goldenrod without it burning you, so it is WAAAAY below the flashpoint of powder. (or anything else volatile) Its not comfortable to hold for more than a few seconds, but it doesnt get so hot as to combust anything. my thermometer shows it hits about 140 degrees.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Thanks for that info, I'll probably order one from Amazon, along with a wireless thermometer/humidity gauge. I currently have one of those canisters with the little plastic pellets that are supposed to absorb humidity. I'm not to enthused about how well it works, so I think I'll make the change before I regret it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for that info, I'll probably order one from Amazon, along with a wireless thermometer/humidity gauge. I currently have one of those canisters with the little plastic pellets that are supposed to absorb humidity. I'm not to enthused about how well it works, so I think I'll make the change before I regret it.

Im going the opposite direction. I'm seeing little to no improvement with my goldenrod despite the energy costs so I am looking at something to absorb the humidity instead of magically heating it away. At least for me I can toss silica packs into a holder in my vault at no cost. I get shipments daily that have at least a medium sized silica pack in them so my desiccant source is almost bottomless.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Im going the opposite direction. I'm seeing little to no improvement with my goldenrod despite the energy costs so I am looking at something to absorb the humidity instead of magically heating it away. At least for me I can toss silica packs into a holder in my vault at no cost. I get shipments daily that have at least a medium sized silica pack in them so my desiccant source is almost bottomless.
    There is no "heating humidity away" per se. Our safes are not sealed, air gets in and gets out. My Browning has a seal around the door but only activates when heated to a certain temp (fire). So, since it is not sealed, gel packs will constantly absorb humidity that relentlessly enters the safe. What a Goldenrod does is moves air. I've seen people use a low wattage light bulb for the same effect. The Goldenrod is placed in the lowest part of the safe. It heats up, heating the air around it, causing the warm air to rise and the cooler air to sink. The cycle repeats forcing air to constantly move, preventing water particulates from settling on the contents. I'v had my safe in my garage for over 12 years and have never had an issue. Humidity stays about 55% regardless of the garage temp or the temp inside the safe. I keep a thermometer and humidity gauge inside the safe. It's not voodoo.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Storing ammo in your safe is not a good idea. Ammo and gunpowder should be stored in a container that will rupture and vent the gases in a fire. A safe full of ammo becomes a bomb in a fire.

Top Bottom