• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So I'm soon going to be the proud owner of my first built AR15 which I have saved for to buy, my question/concern is should I tell my sister? She told me a few years back if I ever get a gun she would never come over here or let her kids come over to my place, with that being said since I have moved into my place she hasn't been here in all 3years iv lived here but her 2 girls have for summer pool, also her husband I'm worried would beat me to death he has threaten me once to knock me out a window, and of course the gun wouldn't be out for them to play with, it be secured safely away, I just feel I can't have my right to own a gun, and she knows I love to shoot, so how do gun owners deal with family who don't like guns?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    No offense meant since it's family. But the Husband sounds like a winner.

If a family member chooses to restrict their own children from time with an Uncle ( or any family member) due to the simple knowledge of a firearm being on premises, THAT in my opinion speaks more about the parent(s) than being anti-gun.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't ask don't tell.

Really. None of their business as long as everything is secured. You probably also have tools, drain cleaners and kitchen knifes in the house, do you have to discuss those items with them???

These.

As we know, the existence of a gun in a point in space does not necessarily mean death and destruction are imminent. There're probably many other household issues you don't burden your sister and her family with--There's no need to burden her with this, especially if all your guns are secured away from prying little fingers.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    With some of my family, I wish it was as simple as telling them I had a gun in the home would keep them away. :)

Seriously though, if you have it safely stored away, I don't see how it is any of her business. From your brief description, one would have to wonder how her and her husband would react if the kids accidently got hurt at your house, just being kids.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So I'm soon going to be the proud owner of my first built AR15 which I have saved for to buy, my question/concern is should I tell my sister? She told me a few years back if I ever get a gun she would never come over here or let her kids come over to my place, with that being said since I have moved into my place she hasn't been here in all 3years iv lived here but her 2 girls have for summer pool, also her husband I'm worried would beat me to death he has threaten me once to knock me out a window, and of course the gun wouldn't be out for them to play with, it be secured safely away, I just feel I can't have my right to own a gun, and she knows I love to shoot, so how do gun owners deal with family who don't like guns?

Were it not for nieces and nephews I'd be tempted to do a preemptive strike and disown her first--at least as long as she's married to an *******.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks I figured don't tell would be the answer, yeah her husband has a short temper, he also threatened to get rid of a friend of mine, make it look like a accident? At that point lets just say he crossed over, but thanks for everybody's input,

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Thanks I figured don't tell would be the answer, yeah her husband has a short temper, he also threatened to get rid of a friend of mine, make it look like a accident? At that point lets just say he crossed over, but thanks for everybody's input,
    If your sis ever finds out you have a gun you can always say you bought it because you were afraid of her psychopathic husband.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :facepalm: So much wrong with this situation.

Don't let anybody tell you how to run your life. **** em.
    They are using the relationship to hold you hostage.
    That's an adversarial relationship from the start.
    If they can't deal with your happiness that's their problem and their loss.
    They truly sound mentally unstable.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Real POS....

To me it sounds like your BIL is a "Loose Cannon"..

I would say that your Sister's attitude toward firearms is based on how Her husband acts..Yea, he SHOULD stay away from GUNS!!!...Bill.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My opinions mirror those of printcraft and ashby koss... You know what's best here, but under no circumstance does that include not having that rifle.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like your relationship with your sister and BIL is on fairly thin ice already. Why make it worse by telling them something you already know they won't take kindly to? Share your enthusiasm for your new AR with folks on this board, or close friends.

I have a sister a bit like this... very anti-firearms. Newsflash!! Her feelings don't trump my rights. Her son (my nephew) got his first pistol, and brought it to my place for Christmas so we could have a look. We went downstairs with my younger brother and let him have at it with a laser cartridge on my laser target. All went perfectly fine.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    :facepalm: So much wrong with this situation.

Don't let anybody tell you how to run your life. **** em.
    They are using the relationship to hold you hostage.
    That's an adversarial relationship from the start.
    If they can't deal with your happiness that's their problem and their loss.
    They truly sound mentally unstable.

Your house, YOUR rules.

I'm with them. If the relationship with my sibling is worth less than their political view, then she can stay home. Sounds like she doesn't really visit anyway, you won't miss much.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I love my sister, and there has never been a point in our adult lives that we have been on bad terms, but, if she stated she would disown me because I had firearms in the house, I'd tell her that was fine, and I'd see her again when/if she changed her mind.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Just my opinion here, but I don't think I'd let the brother-in-law in my house. I know you have to try to get along with family, but that I wouldn't tolerate. Threaten me like that just wouldn't work with me, just sayin'.

papa6x

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @pap6x he has never been in my place ever, and I couldn't believe he said he would make my friend disappear like some part in a godfather movie? If he thinks I let something bad happen to my friend he better be careful,

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    You have ever right to have the weapon the 2nd Admen. give you that right you want a gun you get a gun no question about that. But your sister has the right to have her children around or not around anything that they think is wrong. Go to a place were the gun isn't and have fun with your family. Not telling them and if they ever found out would be a lot worse for you. JMO

Sonney

Top Bottom