• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProudHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2015
    Greenwood
    I am purchasing my first hand gun. Cost is a factor and considering the S&W SD9VE.
    Any factors to be concerned with as a first gun purchase?
    Eventually would like to purchase a Glock 19 but not until the budget will allow.

Appreiate the feed back in advance.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Welcome to the forums. I had one of those in 40 s&w. I loved it. Very reliabe and shot straight.

Id consider the role the gun will fill.

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    I had a S&W SD9VE and thought the trigger pull was long and gritty. There are a ton of videos on youtube on how to make the trigger much better. Depending Are you wanting it to carry everyday or just to plink with?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The ones I have handled seem fine. Another good value priced option is the Ruger 9E.

If you have your heart set on a Glock 19 I would keep your eyes open. I just snatched a like new, pristine Glock 26 for $450. There are a lot of used Gen3 Glock 19s running around out there. With the availability of Glock mags and holsters it might end up costing you less in the long run. My only fear with used guns are that somebody may have bubbafied them a bit. That is why I recommend buying new for first time buyers.

Now really is a good time to buy polymer, striker fired handguns. The market is soft. Smith and Wesson is running a deal with 3 free magazines for an M&P purchase. Not a discount on the gun but $90 worth of magazines. That is a pretty good incentive.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    That was my first gun purchase as well. I know you said you would like to get a G19 eventually but you might want to think about getting an M&P due to the fact that the SD9VE and the M&P can be interchangeable between holsters.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I am purchasing my first hand gun. Cost is a factor and considering the S&W SD9VE.
    Any factors to be concerned with as a first gun purchase?
    Eventually would like to purchase a Glock 19 but not until the budget will allow.

Appreiate the feed back in advance.

Congrats on your first handgun purchase. I will offer the following advice/recommendations.

1) If cost is the main factor, then yes the SD9VE is a solid handgun for around $300 new. Both my Mom and best friend have the SD9VE and I have shot both, no problems with either. I have recommended that gun as a entry level fullsize handgun to many many people, mainly because of the features and two 16rd mags. Again, very solid choice.

2) Not sure what factors you might be concerned with. Is this your first gun purchase or first HANDgun purchase (you stated it both ways)?

3) The most important advice, that I have personally learned the very very hard way, if you eventually would like a Glock 19 then I recommend you save up some more money to get one to start with (about $150-$250 more for a new Glock Gen 3 or 4 or about $100 - $150 for a used one). I have learned (still learning?) that "settling" for something because it's cheaper, but actually of lesser quality/value, than you just might cause yourself frustration and some loss of time/money in the end. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of deals out there, but if your decision to buy the SD9VE rather than the G19 is based solely on the fact that the Smith costs less and not because you like it more, then I would strongly advise you save up the coin and buy the Glock instead.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The sd9ve is a pretty nice pistol for the money. The trigger is a bit to desire but you can't have everything at that price point. I wouldn't be affrqid at all to carry one, the ones I've shoot have been 100% reliable an shot straight. But just keep in mind saving up just a bit more could get you into a used Glock ;) Good luck on your purchase.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had a S&W SD9VE and thought the trigger pull was long and gritty. There are a ton of videos on youtube on how to make the trigger much better. Depending Are you wanting it to carry everyday or just to plink with?

In addition to long and gritty, add in heavy. My neighbor bought one and after he and a buddy took it to the range, he said the sights were off and would I mind looking at it? He brought it over and while checking it out, I dry fired it. I smiled and handed it back and told him the problem was the trigger, not the sights. He was confused, so I told him the heavy pull was what was causing him to not hit where he was aiming, as it was his first handgun and he didn't have any trigger control. He didn't believe me until I took him to the range and shot it, hitting where I aimed without any problems. Moral of this story is, same as I told him, if you want to be good with that gun, it's very important to do dry fire practice.

Otherwise, I'll echo everyone else and say if you really want a G19, save up and get a G19. Plenty of places will let you do layaway on the gun for 60 or 90 days, if that helps. Good luck!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The SD9VE trigger does have room for improvement, Apex has a spring kit for about $20 or so that helps a good bit. In addition to the other choices mentioned above a Springfield XD Essential ( gun ,two mags, manual and lock in hard case would run a hundred or so more, about $425-450 at most places IIRC. The XD has very clean out of box trigger, at least the couple I've shot did.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191685

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Looks like it would be a good gun to me. Here is a pretty good review by Hickok45 on it (for some reason I seem to have forgotten how to post the video the correct way)

[video]https://youtu.be/1cleMs8xmqc[/video]

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm not much of a double action trigger shooter but from my experience shooting the SD9VE, I can say the trigger is actually fairly smooth. Smoother than the full size M&P 9 which is really gritty. I can actually hit more with the SD than I can with the M&P. Popping bottles at 10 yards is fairly easy. I wouldn't mind getting one if I could afford it. But with a 2 year old and me being in school still there isn't much in the budget.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You're welcome and remember it all comes down to what works for you, what you like, and what you can afford and are willing to spend. Everything said has been opinions, some facts, but all intended to help. There is no wrong answer necessarily and you've already made the most important decision in the process, you decided to become a gun owner. All we ask is be safe and enjoy.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    SD9VE is a good gun. I've got several Glocks and four different SD's(9VE and three non-VEs(two 9's and a .40)). For about a half dozen reasons I prefer the SDs over the Glock. The SD grip is infinitely more comfortable than the Glock. I like the stainless magazines and all non-polymer parts are stainless. The standard rifled barrels handle cast bullets for practice(a no-no in the Glock). After a couple of hundred cycles the triggers actually get pretty good(the APEX kit just speeds that process up but if you don't mind hand cycling the action and snapping it a few hundred times save your money). Lifetime S&W warranty is pretty nice. Price is about 60% that of a Glock but that's not an advantage because I just buy twice as many.

Disadvantages? The S&W magazines are more expensive and you can't pick them up just anywhere and there isn't nearly the aftermarket support of the Glock. I like everything more or less stock so that's not really a factor for me. Still, you won't have quite the holster selection you have with the Glock.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    My first gun was a Sigma, which birthed the SDVE series. Great gun, awesome grip. Except for the trigger, it's basically a Glock with steel bodied magazines. S&W got sued by Glock because they were so much alike. My Sigma broke down the same way as a Glock, per my memory.

The SD and Glock might as well be ying & yang. Glock owners love the trigger, but hate the grip. Nobody ever seems to same anything bad about the SD grip, but everyone dislikes the trigger (usually after they've shot a Glock...).

Whinging on about grips some more, the SD has the Glock owner grip wishlist: no finger grooves, high cut beaver tail, and under cut trigger guard. If you think I'm joking about how much Glock owners dislike the grip, all you need to do is look at all the Glock grip reduction threads, grip stipling threads, all the grip extensions to be bought, beaver tail grip angle add-ons for sale, and even Glock's Gen4 with different back straps to adjust the grip.

My advice is shoot everything you can to keep yourself from buying the same pistol over and over again from different manufacturers trying to find "the one" (you never will). Then buy a used gun and take the difference and spend it in ammo for practice. A "not a Glock trigger" can be overcome with practice. If it couldn't, why are S&W and Springfield selling M&Ps and XDs???

Full disclosure: I own a Glock 19 3 & 4 gen. I've also owned a RTF2 frame. I love the 4 frame the best, as a balance between the hand grippy/flesh shearing RTF2 and ol' slick sides gen 3.

But you can get some grip tape for gen 3...

And then get the trigger guard undercut... :rolleyes:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. A SD is basically a glock with a better grip and worse trigger. It is one of the best bang for your buck guns out there. It will be reliable and a good gun. If you like it, buy it. It will serve you well. If you don't like it, buy a different model. There's TONS of quality polymer handguns out there these days. It really is a buyers market with awesome prices and lots of choices.

My first gun was a Sigma, which birthed the SDVE series. Great gun, awesome grip. Except for the trigger, it's basically a Glock with steel bodied magazines. S&W got sued by Glock because they were so much alike. My Sigma broke down the same way as a Glock, per my memory.

The SD and Glock might as well be ying & yang. Glock owners love the trigger, but hate the grip. Nobody ever seems to same anything bad about the SD grip, but everyone dislikes the trigger (usually after they've shot a Glock...).

Whinging on about grips some more, the SD has the Glock owner grip wishlist: no finger grooves, high cut beaver tail, and under cut trigger guard. If you think I'm joking about how much Glock owners dislike the grip, all you need to do is look at all the Glock grip reduction threads, grip stipling threads, all the grip extensions to be bought, beaver tail grip angle add-ons for sale, and even Glock's Gen4 with different back straps to adjust the grip.

My advice is shoot everything you can to keep yourself from buying the same pistol over and over again from different manufacturers trying to find "the one" (you never will). Then buy a used gun and take the difference and spend it in ammo for practice. A "not a Glock trigger" can be overcome with practice. If it couldn't, why are S&W and Springfield selling M&Ps and XDs???

Full disclosure: I own a Glock 19 3 & 4 gen. I've also owned a RTF2 frame. I love the 4 frame the best, as a balance between the hand grippy/flesh shearing RTF2 and ol' slick sides gen 3.

But you can get some grip tape for gen 3...

And then get the trigger guard undercut... :rolleyes:

MrNobody

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just put a stainless guide rod and apex springs in mine and it made a world of difference. Almost like it better than my Glock and it does feel better in my hand.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    The main downside IMO with the SD9VE, which does not affect performance, is the terrible sound when hand cycling the slide. It is in now way smooth. Function is 100% though

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There is always the Canik TP9sa for $295 with 2 mags.. From what I have read, it has a MUCH better trigger..

https://www.preppergunshop.com/inde...ol-2-18rd-mags-polymer-frame-fixed-sight.html

canik_tp9sa_9mm_pistol_pic_7.jpg

Top Bottom