• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    I am considering buying a T/C shotgun for this years deer season to go along with my T/C Omega. I have been pretty much sold on the 12 gauge, but after starting to research a little more I have been reading a lot of recoil issues due to the guns lightweight. A lot of reports even went as far as saying buying the 20 gauge was a better option. Have any of you shot either one of these shotguns? Any issues?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have been using a 20 ga Encore for several years now. While it does kick less than a 12 ga it still thumps you. I wrapped the bottom of the the opening lever with a piece of rubber as the end of the metal tang would hit my knuckle on recoil and I got tired of getting blood all over everything:rolleyes: .
    Stock with a 3X9 scope the gun shot 6" groups at 200 yards. I did a trigger job and got to 4" and I bet with a higher magnification scope it would do 3" at 200 yards.
    Federal slugs sighted in at 50 yards drops 18 inches at 200 yards.
    Scope has multiple aiming points so just use the right aiming point for the yardage and no hold over required.
    Where I hunt 100 yards is about the longest shot I can take but it is nice to be able to go out further if needed.
    My longest shot has been about 125 yards.
    Gun has killed a couple dozen deer so far.
    See no reason to go 12 ga.
    Seems like most places carry 20 ga slugs now days(sabots) but when I purchased it several years ago 20 was harder to find on the shelf.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    I own both and the 20 ga has a lot less recoil, I have wacked deer at 130 and 145 yds with the 20 ga both dropped within 15 ft. I use the Hornady SST sabot slugs, I outfitted my stock with the limb saver recoil pad they are outstanding at reducing felt recoil.

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    20 gauge pro hunter with fully rifled barrel is your best choice
    use the hornaday sat slugs and it is the perfect deer slayer
    i killed my deer last year at 150 yards drooped it in its tracks

Top Bottom