• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If one invades "my airspace" and is spying on me, and I don't know who's it is, I may well shoot it down too. Good luck winning that case against me in Lawrence County peeping toms!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If one invades "my airspace" and is spying on me, and I don't know who's it is, I may well shoot it down too. Good luck winning that case against me in Lawrence County peeping toms!

If wasn't over the shooter's property, if it had, I think the ruling would've went the other way.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Per the article, the "drone" had no camera gear on it and was flying over the pilots own property. RC quad copters are mostly just the latest fad in the radio control hobby. I have several myself and none are set up to carry cameras. Some of you people are so paranoid!!!!!!
    To my knowledge, no drones have been used by peeping toms and I seriously doubt there's many peeping toms that want to see any of us naked.
    Within any group, there will be those idiots that stray beyond what should be acceptable behavior. The RC hobby is no different and there are a few that do stupid stuff with quads or "drones" as the media likes to demonize them. The majority of quad flyers are just guys out having fun with a flying Rc model. RC quad flyers are becoming just as maligned as all the gun crazies out there, present company included!
    Get over them people, they're just expensive toys.

Matt

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Per the article, the "drone" had no camera gear on it and was flying over the pilots own property. RC quad copters are mostly just the latest fad in the radio control hobby. I have several myself and none are set up to carry cameras. Some of you people are so paranoid!!!!!!
    To my knowledge, no drones have been used by peeping toms and I seriously doubt there's many peeping toms that want to see any of us naked.
    Within any group, there will be those idiots that stray beyond what should be acceptable behavior. The RC hobby is no different and there are a few that do stupid stuff with quads or "drones" as the media likes to demonize them. The majority of quad flyers are just guys out having fun with a flying Rc model. RC quad flyers are becoming just as maligned as all the gun crazies out there, present company included!

Matt

Yeh, my dad's neighbor has one. He flies all kinds of remote-controlled coptors around.

He put a camera on the drone and showed my dad some of the pics from above his house. But I don't believe he actually flies it around with the camera.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Matt

You have a VERY narrow definition of peeping Tom. Anyone that points there camera at me or mine for more than a fleet moment is a peeping Tom. Sex, nudity, etc aren't the only areas covered by the handle. We used to just call them nosy neighbors.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Shooting down another person's property when it is not on your property does not strike me as the most sensible course of action

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "But even if it did, you're only privileged to use reasonable force in defense of property. Shooting a shotgun at this thing that isn't threatening your property isn't reasonable."

What is reasonable? Just take them to court, I guess.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For the most part, I accept the argument that the anti-'drone' sentiment is an overreaction or else intolerance of the neighbor doing on his own property what someone else considers annoying, but the camel does have its nose under the tent. It is not a long stretch of the imagination to see the incident in which such a device is used for nefarious purposes, either using your daughter/niece/wife for eye candy or casing the thing as a prelude to burglary, and then you have the official and unofficial do-gooders--after all, you might be infringing on the rights of animals by keeping them as pets/farm animals or hunting them, and with teeth in the trespassing laws now, a new door opens.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    For the most part, I accept the argument that the anti-'drone' sentiment is an overreaction or else intolerance of the neighbor doing on his own property what someone else considers annoying, but the camel does have its nose under the tent. It is not a long stretch of the imagination to see the incident in which such a device is used for nefarious purposes, either using your daughter/niece/wife for eye candy or casing the thing as a prelude to burglary, and then you have the official and unofficial do-gooders--after all, you might be infringing on the rights of animals by keeping them as pets/farm animals or hunting them, and with teeth in the trespassing laws now, a new door opens.

That is exactly my point when I made the comment about gun crazies! It's the criminal not the tool! Doesn't matter whether the tool is a gun or a quad using pics off of google maps to case a burglary. Don't demonize the tool. No matter what the tool is, it can be used for bad. You can't blame the tool!
    I guess if you are so paranoid that someone pointing a camera at you for more than a few seconds throws you into a fit, you have bigger problems than just cameras. We are recorded everywhere these days. You can't escape them unless you hide behind your dark curtains all the time.

Matt

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Of course, destroying someone else's property on their own land is out of bounds. BUT, I don't know if a quad has a camera on it or not. Either way, if it's flying near my house and I don't know the owner - fair game. In my opinion it's trespassing and will be neutralized. I wouldn't allow my neighbors on my property, unannounced, uninvited, to walk around and take pictures and I'm not about to let them do it via remote control inside my air space either.

That's not paranoid, it's good manners. Don't walk across someone else's property without permission and don't fly your toys on someone else's property without permission either. It's rude.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was taking a bit of offense to JeremiahJohnson's point of view but after some thought, it could be just our different perspectives. He may be living on a 1000 acre ranch in the middle of nowhere. If I was in that situation and a quad was hovering over my land in a manner that suggested it was filming me or my home id likely be pulling out some weapons too. However, I've pretty much grew up in the city in additions with small lot sizes. Neighbor kids play football in an area spanning across three properties. Here that's no big deal. I frequently fly my small "foamy" airplanes in my backyard which is very small and I overfly the neighbors back yard. They've never had issue with it and I don't fly when they or anyone else is in the immediate area.
    If Jeremiah would be wanting to shoot my foamy out of the sky under this situation, I guess I'm glad he's not my neighbor.
    Perspective can make a big difference in how we think about a situation.

Matt

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I was taking a bit of offense to JeremiahJohnson's point of view but after some thought, it could be just our different perspectives. He may be living on a 1000 acre ranch in the middle of nowhere. If I was in that situation and a quad was hovering over my land in a manner that suggested it was filming me or my home id likely be pulling out some weapons too. However, I've pretty much grew up in the city in additions with small lot sizes. Neighbor kids play football in an area spanning across three properties. Here that's no big deal. I frequently fly my small "foamy" airplanes in my backyard which is very small and I overfly the neighbors back yard. They've never had issue with it and I don't fly when they or anyone else is in the immediate area.
    If Jeremiah would be wanting to shoot my foamy out of the sky under this situation, I guess I'm glad he's not my neighbor.
    Perspective can make a big difference in how we think about a situation.

Matt

Yes, I'm rural.

No, foamy planes seldom carry cameras, quads often do.

Yes, out here neighbors ask before barging on someone else's property. If you're a neighbor and you ask then I likely have no problem. Property owners like to be asked.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It should make a difference, but it didn't to that judge.

The interesting thing is this "reasonable force" debate...but we're not talking about force against people, but against an inanimate object. The analysis of reasonable force can't be the same for objects vs. people.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've been thinking of getting a drone with a camera. I'm just not built to inspect my 2 story roof. Seems like a gopro mounted to a drone would be handy for that sort of thing. I'd be pretty pissed if my neighbor shot it over my own property. And I think if my neighbor s flew one on my property with obvious nefarious intentions I should be able to shoot it down.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've been thinking of getting a drone with a camera. I'm just not built to inspect my 2 story roof. Seems like a gopro mounted to a drone would be handy for that sort of thing. I'd be pretty pissed if my neighbor shot it over my own property. And I think if my neighbor s flew one on my property with obvious nefarious intentions I should be able to shoot it down.

Wholeheartedly agree. Will just go the technology route (active jamming) if I have to, but the shoot down would be so much more viscerally satisfying. And it would deliver a much less ambiguous message, that some intrusions can be dangerous.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    "Jamming" is illegal.

Also, you do not own the air space above your property. It would be the same as trying to dictate whether low flying aircraft are allowed.

Top Bottom