• indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    "...handguns can discharge when dropped..."

At least they CAN discharge. Based on my experience, that would be an improvement for Taurus. The one Taurus I owned wouldn't even fire when I pulled the trigger.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I don't know what their revenue is like, but I sincerely hope this is a somewhat significant amount of money for them. Maybe they'll consider some R&D, and stop making complete piles of :poop:

Also, IB the Taurus apologists/the "I got a good one" crowd.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Oh that's too bad. I really wanted to believe that this time their pistols are worth buying. Oh well, maybe next time.

Fool me once? Nope.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I posted this to get the word out but something sounds hinky to me in the link. The story mentions two guns that discharged when they were dropped. The problem I have with this is that I know both of the pistols mentioned are true DAO pistols. The firing pin is at rest (not to mention there's a spring ... it's not free floating), there's a firing pin block, and there is no exposed hammer. If the gun goes off when dropped, then it must be a monumental flaw and they should pay for the fix.

If it manages to fire with the safety engaged, that's a whole other issue and they should pay for that as well.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I see the snobs are out and about, but that is to be expected, however I have never owned a bad gun and that would include a Jennings .380. Goes bang every time and it is about 40 years old. My brother has a Hi-Point in 40 S&W (has since bought a Walther) and it shot OK and is about the weight of a full sized 1911. I usually carry a Glock 23. :)

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I posted this to get the word out but something sounds hinky to me in the link. The story mentions two guns that discharged when they were dropped. The problem I have with this is that I know both of the pistols mentioned are true DAO pistols. The firing pin is at rest (not to mention there's a spring ... it's not free floating), there's a firing pin block, and there is no exposed hammer. If the gun goes off when dropped, then it must be a monumental flaw and they should pay for the fix.

If it manages to fire with the safety engaged, that's a whole other issue and they should pay for that as well.

I agree. Something is odd. I have a g2 24/7(which is not included) and unless its majorly different(which they might be, not sure) the firing pin has to be cocked back before firing. Don't understand how the firing pin would cock and release just by dropping it. Maybe someone could explain that to me.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Interesting. I haven't found a complete list of these. I've put over 500rds through my G1 24/7 compact .45 without a hiccup. Not eve a failure to feed from the PT145 magazine I bought as a spare. I'm guessing mine is on the list then?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    The list:
    "The settlement agreement covers nine Taurus models, including the PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640 and PT-24/7, Taurus says."

I have a G1 stainless PT 24/7 PRO 9mm (not sure if it includes PRO). I haven't run into a problem. This might be due to A.) I haven't dropped any firearm. B.) I don't use the safety (but just tested it and it worked).

I'll have to contact Taurus and see what they say and report back.

Appreciate the posting.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Following. I have a PT-145 that would be included in this list. I'll have to see how this develops I guess. Mine has some FTF when dirty but otherwise hasn't had any issues.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Well; I have 3 on the list, a PT111, PT145, & PT140pro. Never had any problem with any, but I've never dropped one and don't use the safeties. I"ll have to try pulling the trigger with the safety on and see what happens. Never dropped a gun other than a Colt 1911 that fell out of a Jackass shoulder holster and landed on my foot at a salvage yard around 30 years ago. It didn't discharge, no longer have the gun or the holster, although that's not the reason I sold them. Wish I'd kept the Colt as it was a US marked 1911.

Top Bottom