• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Was talking with some guys yesterday about the TV show Dragnet and a scene from an episode where several officers have their guns drawn....all revolvers.

The question came up: "is there a PD in America that stills issues revolvers to its force?" Not a small burg with just a town marshal but a PD with a roster and everyone who is issued is given a revolver. Anyone know of such a place?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Probably not, though it's no uncommon for some "long in the tooth" officers to still carry revos. I'm not 100%, but I think Layton still carries a revo.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    there is a long time Sgt on the champaign PD that carries a 686. I used to talk to him a lot while I was a driver's examiner. We even met at the range once to see who was a faster reloader with a speed loader though I had a Ruger security Six to his Smith, it was about reloading. S reloads, he beat me by a fraction of a second. He was impressed ith me too as he didn't often run into anyone ho could handle their firearm as well as he did.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Picking up where Kirk left off, the Indiana Department of Correction used S&W Model 19 revolvers in both 4" and 2 1/2" barrel lengths as of when I worked there. Of course, that does not really address the original question given that this is not a PD although part of the same general system.

That said, it has been about 30 years since I have seen a revolver hanging on the hip of an officer in uniform.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    IMPD had a "with permission of the chief of police" policy about carrying a non-issued pistol on duty, but that changed a little while back.

We are 100% Glock now except for UC units and back up guns.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IMPD had a "with permission of the chief of police" policy about carrying a non-issued pistol on duty, but that changed a little while back.

We are 100% Glock now except for UC units and back up guns.

Or plain clothes. I'm not UC but can still carry anything that meets the guidelines for off duty carry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can I impose on your good nature to share those guidelines? I have always wondered how that worked.

5" barrel or less.
    .380 to .45
    No SAO
    semi auto must have slide lock
    Passes armorer inspection.
    Minimum trigger weight, which I don't recall. Maybe 4 lb?

That's most of it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Picking up where Kirk left off, the Indiana Department of Correction used S&W Model 19 revolvers in both 4" and 2 1/2" barrel lengths as of when I worked there. Of course, that does not really address the original question given that this is not a PD although part of the same general system.

That said, it has been about 30 years since I have seen a revolver hanging on the hip of an officer in uniform.
    They use glocks now. My son works for them and just went through another class.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    5" barrel or less.
    .380 to .45
    No SAO
    semi auto must have slide lock
    Passes armorer inspection.
    Minimum trigger weight, which I don't recall. Maybe 4 lb?

That's most of it.

Thanks! Even if not absolutely comprehensive, this covers it well enough for a solid understanding.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You will see a few Madison Co Deputy Sheriffs that carry revolvers that work the Courthouse and I believe the jail. All are older guys, they might be retired and working PT.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a snub nosed Smith model 66 that was made in 2001 and was issued to KY DOC and Parole and was stamped on the side plate those words...I also have (right by me as we speak) a Smith and Wesson Model 60 3 inch with adjustable sights in .357 magnum that was issued to their parole officers (but had no stamp, not enough room maybe???) that also dates 2001 or so....

Top Bottom