• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Has anyone heard of this? I heard that the NRA was leading an effort to train Indiana National Guard personnel in the use of a firearm for personal protection?

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yes, I taught 65 Indiana National Guardsmen the classroom portion of NRA Basic Pistol two weeks ago at the Johnson County Armory. I look forward to participating in the shooting exercises as well as their Personal Protection and Active Shooter training as well.

Guy

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    While the Rabid Anti Gun groups will never admit it, this was the whole purpose of the NRA until it became necessary to protect the RKBA through political representation. Until then, the NRA was to train people to be safe with firearms, and improve marksmanship. Once the Rabid Anti Gun people tried to remove the RKBA, they had to get politically active simply to keep guns in America.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What kind of shooting qualification will you require Guy? With so many people that will be a task. And what is involved in the "active shooter" training and how long before this group will be certified?
    Thanks

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    NRA instructors have been doing this for decades. A few years ago, civilian NRA instructors trained quite a few "designated marksman" for the Army.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What kind of shooting qualification will you require Guy? With so many people that will be a task. And what is involved in the "active shooter" training and how long before this group will be certified?
    Thanks

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]

Crickets again, same response I got the last time on this question.. Evidently no one knows what is going to be required of these guys or it's such a political hot potato that no one wants to comment??

Just giving them classroom portion of NRA BP and saying they need more gets them no closer to being able to protect themselves. Does ANYONE have some insight on this issue? Coach and I are working on ideas for real world training for these guys but it seems everyone wants to talk about it but no one wants to make decisions or do anything to get them where they would like to be.. I pray more brave soldiers aren't put in harms way while the politicians are trying to come to some political, CYA decision.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Intersting that the Brady bunch was quoted. NRA has always been involved with training and marksmanship programs. The NRA, FBI/LE, and only recently the 2nd amendment foundation are the only organizations that I can think of that have attempted to develop anything close to a national standard for handgun training.

NRA Basic Pistol - Basic Pistol is a familiarization level course. It is not a personal protection or defensive pistol course. It does however introduce students to different types of guns, basic marksmanship and safety. Not a bad place to start.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It appears this is not only for those NG soldiers housed in recruiting stations, I wonder how many of the 16,000 soldiers will take this course? Of those who take it, I wonder how many already have their LTCH? At least the recruiters will not be held to the no gun signs posted and no gun laws at malls and schools when they are recruiting.

Top Bottom