• ...and so much more!
  • red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Saturday:
    My 8 year old son Aiden and I drove up to ZR Tactical to get my lower engraved for my SBR. On my way out their door Allen (Diamond Collision) texts me to tell me my barrels are threaded and ready to be picked up (Remington 597, Crickett, & Winchester 67A). We make the trip out to Avon and pick them up. We then headed down to Bradis to pick up a stock for my (soon-to-be) SBR.... and walked out with a new S&W M&P 15-22 for Aiden. He's ready to move up from the Crickett & my daughter (5 yo) is ready to start learning.

Sunday:
    Aiden and I head down to Atterbury to try his rifle out and to site the other rifles back in after I put the barrels back on. On the way home he tells me that we need to take the scope off of my 10/22 (Vortex Crossfire II) and put it on his rifle... little SOB... :): Here he is when we get home proud as can be.
    IMG_2875_zpsywryge3o.jpg

Monday:
    I decided it was time I replaced the scope that came with my 13 year old boy's Remington 597 with something better, and I figured I would make Aiden happy(er) so I called Alan at A&A and ordered a couple of scopes some rings and a couple of mounts. After work I made the trip back to ZR Tactical to pick my lower back up (quick turnaround!). When I got home I put the stock on. I officially have a SBR!

Today:
    I found out my stamps (finally) came in for my 5.56 and .22 suppressors! I stopped by Profire at lunch and picked them up. When I got home the scopes from Alan were waiting for me too! BEST. DAY. EVER. Here's my haul from today:
    IMG_2884_zpsog4htqga.jpg

Here are all the rifles that were involved in all of this:
    IMG_2889_zpsrxvl5xx2.jpg

Is it crazy that with all that going on, this is the setup I'm most excited about?
    IMG_2890_zpsmlwulyqm.jpg

I'm thinking about skipping work for the rest of the week... It can only get worse from here :):

Thanks again to all the companies that took my money and provided excellent service: Alan @ A&A Optics, Allen @ Diamond Collision, Andrew @ Profire, Bradis, and ZR Tactical!

TL;DR: Awesome week, guns, suppressors, SBR, optics.... :ar15::ar15:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Beautiful collection!

That smiling face... is exactly how each and every one of us still feels when we get a new gun. That's an awesome pic. I believe that this will be one of those memories that will stick with him. :thumbsup:

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Thanks guys. Not sure exactly what the point of this thread was other than to tell anyone who cares about all of this awesomeness. The SBR and suppressors have been a long time in the making; from research, setting up a trust, waiting on the ATF, etc. it was just cool how everything came together all at once.

Oh, and I 'blame' everyone who had anything to do with the last NFA Noob day for getting me into all this. As I look at that picture all I can think now is that I have 5 .22 suppressor hosts with only 1 suppressor.... Doesn't seem right.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sure did. :cool: He said it was the first one he had done. He also said it was the hardest out of the 3 he did for me.

This is both good news and bad news.

I contacted another "well-regarded threader of Cricket rifles" out on the west coast. (Tornado Technologies, I think) They told me that they have to weld on a piece to increase the diameter of the muzzle so that there's enough left over post machining to ensure proper thread depth/engagement. Seemed like a heck of a lot of trouble.

But now that I know Allen can do this type of work... Hmmm....

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've threaded probably a dozen crickets... nothing to it. The only sticky part is machining down the plastic sight and filling it with epoxy since it's hollow. No sweat!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've threaded probably a dozen crickets... nothing to it. The only sticky part is machining down the plastic sight and filling it with epoxy since it's hollow. No sweat!

So there's enough meat on the stick, then, eh?

Do you have to pull the barrel out of the receiver? That strikes me as an area of concern.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Be careful running that gen 1 Huntertown Kestrel on your 11.5" SBR. They have a tendency to explode at the fluting if run too hard for too long.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yes you pull the barrel. It's a 22, there is a crosspin holding it in. There's nothing to it. No headspace to check. You just slide the barrel back in and repin. The headspace is set by the cross pin from the factory.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    This is both good news and bad news.

I contacted another "well-regarded threader of Cricket rifles" out on the west coast. (Tornado Technologies, I think) They told me that they have to weld on a piece to increase the diameter of the muzzle so that there's enough left over post machining to ensure proper thread depth/engagement. Seemed like a heck of a lot of trouble.

But now that I know Allen can do this type of work... Hmmm....

He did not have to weld anything to the barrel, but you do end up with almost no shoulder since the barrel is so thin. I told him to go ahead and do it anyway... It's a $100 fun rifle for the kids to shoot so I was not that concerned with it. I will just have to keep a close eye on it and make sure the suppressor doesn't back out.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy

I didn't mess with any of that since I have a scope on it. We just pulled the site off (held on by one screw).

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Yes you pull the barrel. It's a 22, there is a crosspin holding it in. There's nothing to it. No headspace to check. You just slide the barrel back in and repin. The headspace is set by the cross pin from the factory.

I tried to pull the barrel from the receiver and couldn't get it out (drove the pin out, but the barrel wouldn't budge). Allen tried as well with no luck. He said he had to fabricate something to hold the barrel in his lathe with the receiver on. I'm not sure exactly what he did, we didn't get into specifics.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Allen is awesome...so he probably worked some kind of voodoo magic to get it to work.
    +1 To the kids smile...hope my son smiles like that when I give him his first .22

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom