• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've mentioned it before, but I had a .40 and a 9mm I used to introduce people to shooting. It let the newbie have "their gun" for an outing and helped them feel included. They were reliable and were better than a sharp stick, but had definite shortcomings in terms of ergonomics, trigger, and texture. I'd pick one up before a rock, but not before many other firearms.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I think it's great to have manufacturers stepping up to fill such niches. I've read elsewhere that these things are reliable even if not very "esthetically pleasing". Not everyone can afford to spend incrementally more money for a "pretty" gun. It's good they have options to exercise their rights.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I picked up a used carbine in .40 for $175. It's fun to shoot, reliable, and dead-on accurate.

I'm very happy with it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, I think it's great to have manufacturers stepping up to fill such niches. I've read elsewhere that these things are reliable even if not very "esthetically pleasing". Not everyone can afford to spend incrementally more money for a "pretty" gun. It's good they have options to exercise their rights.

If they'd put a texture other than "freshly waxed glass" on the grips and make a safety that was usable, that'd address most of my complaints with the gun. I still wouldn't rush right out and buy one by any stretch, but those two changes would address a lot of the shortcomings. For range and play use, it's fine. For home defense or carry, well, it's hard to recommend a gun for self defense that needs a "slippery when wet" warning sticker.

As it stands, the Bersa Thunder .380 would be my extreme budget recommendation for any potential use under stress. $280-ish new, $200-ish used. Real grips, better sights, easy to maintain, and the ergonomics of the Walther PPK. It can also be carried without a belt + suspenders. :D The trigger is surprisingly good when compared to a real PPK. I've shot them back to back and was truly surprised at the quality of the Bersa.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If they'd put a texture other than "freshly waxed glass" on the grips and make a safety that was usable, that'd address most of my complaints with the gun. I still wouldn't rush right out and buy one by any stretch, but those two changes would address a lot of the shortcomings. For range and play use, it's fine. For home defense or carry, well, it's hard to recommend a gun for self defense that needs a "slippery when wet" warning sticker.

As it stands, the Bersa Thunder .380 would be my extreme budget recommendation for any potential use under stress. $280-ish new, $200-ish used. Real grips, better sights, easy to maintain, and the ergonomics of the Walther PPK. It can also be carried without a belt + suspenders. :D The trigger is surprisingly good when compared to a real PPK. I've shot them back to back and was truly surprised at the quality of the Bersa.

I don't know much about plastic molding but I do know a little about metal molding when I say, I wouldn't think it would be a big of a cost adder to provide that texture for better gripping. The safety issue though...that could be a big design change. But if enough customers were complaining about it, it would seem to be an issue they'd want to address.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know much about plastic molding but I do know a little about metal molding when I say, I wouldn't think it would be a big of a cost adder to provide that texture for better gripping. The safety issue though...that could be a big design change. But if enough customers were complaining about it, it would seem to be an issue they'd want to address.

No idea. I'm figuring most folks who buy a hi-point pistol aren't gun people, probably aren't training seriously, etc. If you don't know its not supposed to feel like oily wax paper, well, you won't know until you try something else.

Did I mention the grip is really slick?

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a 9mm carbine and I love it. Very fun to shoot, and super accurate. I have recommended them to several people and will continue to do so until a better option presents itself.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Those carbines still look like the guns that the apes carried on Planet of the
    Apes series, from the 1970's

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Grip tape does wonders. I know, I know it's a shame to ruin those beautiful lines but it does help. I see rural king is selling the jennings/bryco line of ahem "pistols". I would recommend a hi point over one of those pot metal wonders anyday

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I picked up the 9mm carbine still in the original shell used for $100. The updated TS version is cheap on the HP website and they are quick to ship. After converting it, I now have a reliable 995 TS with 3 magazines for less than $175.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I put an ATI stock on a 9mm carbine for wifey a while back. She's not impressed. I, however, love a 200.00 carbine that's as dependable and accurate as it is. I only lament the mag capacity.
    Here is the answer for the capacity argument.

[video=youtube_share;gJtbfdt2McY]http://youtu.be/gJtbfdt2McY[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've gotta say, one of those drum mags would be pretty sweet on the carbine. :ar15: Not sure how many a .45 acp version would hold, but probably "enough". :): I really like my 4595TS, and wouldn't hesitate to use it as a bedside gun. It's also a fun "plinker" at the range.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    No no the cobras are great. Those old car emblems have to be recycled into somthing. My neighbor has an ancient one. It is the finest mag Fed single shot on the market. Every other round is a stovepipe so you save on ammo by only shooting half as much. Tap,rack,bang practice in spades if you don't mind the "nickle" finish flaming off in your hand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No no the cobras are great. Those old car emblems have to be recycled into somthing. My neighbor has an ancient one. It is the finest mag Fed single shot on the market. Every other round is a stovepipe so you save on ammo by only shooting half as much. Tap,rack,bang practice in spades if you don't mind the "nickle" finish flaming off in your hand.

They are also drop safe. If you drop them, the slide often breaks off the frame rendering it much safer.

Top Bottom