• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yes, If we are talking prohibitive laws concerning gun ownership.

No, if we are talking laws with teeth to punish those who commit crimes with guns.

Again yes, if those laws are plea bargained away ti get a slap on the wrist conviction or because of the need to clear the docket in order to prosecute more serious violations of law.

Surprisingly, Al Jazeera is more balanced than most US news sources.

Are gun laws useless? | Al Jazeera America

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Yes, If we are talking prohibitive laws concerning gun ownership.

No, if we are talking laws with teeth to punish those who commit crimes with guns.

Again yes, if those laws are plea bargained away ti get a slap on the wrist conviction or because of the need to clear the docket in order to prosecute more serious violations of law.

Surprisingly, Al Jazeera is more balanced than most US news sources.

Are gun laws useless? | Al Jazeera America

What falls under the heading of more serious violations of law?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have to disagree with your conclusion.

I would agree with you, particularly regarding the prohibition if I accepted the premise that the prevention of violent crime was in fact the purpose of such laws. Given that I do not accept this premise, I conclude that such laws are remarkably effective for their true purpose which is to shift the final balance of power away from the people and into the hands of a government which increasingly serves as a self-existent entity rather than a public service, and increasingly operates from the premise that we exist to serve it rather than it to serve us.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Short simple answe, yes. Those disinclined to break the law and/or misuse guns probably won't and those for whom the law holds no sway will do whatever the heck they want regardless.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have to disagree with your conclusion.

I would agree with you, particularly regarding the prohibition if I accepted the premise that the prevention of violent crime was in fact the purpose of such laws. Given that I do not accept this premise, I conclude that such laws are remarkably effective for their true purpose which is to shift the final balance of power away from the people and into the hands of a government which increasingly serves as a self-existent entity rather than a public service, and increasingly operates from the premise that we exist to serve it rather than it to serve us.

With you 100% on this, Dave. You want to make sure you don't end up with something like the No Fly List governing RKBA, where they won't tell you you're on it or why and it gives equal credence to hearsay as well as hard evidence. Then some anonymous informant only has to say 'he's crazy about guns and gov't overreach' and suddenly it is difficult or impossible to exercise your 2A rights. Too much like a domestic Stasi for me!

ETA:"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IndyDave1776 again." effing commie rep system

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Redhood
    Top Bottom