• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Ammoland gave permission to re-post this graphic.

Largest-Army.jpg

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Liked it as well. The "Americans Buy Enough Guns" statement though gives fodder to the anti-gun activists regarding the volume of guns out there...but it's a great statistic regarding the freedoms that exist here that many countries don't have as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not sure how accurate that number can be. I know tons of guys who say they are hunters and haven't ventured into the fields or woods for years. Base it on licenses sold? Even if the number is somewhat accurate what is that ad trying to say? Somehow these people who own a gun and may or may not shoot it once a year are going to be opposition to an invading force?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sweet. Hunters.

v.

Group maneuvers, tanks, arty, airstrikes, ballistic missiles, snipers, mines,...all the way down to real hand-to-hand combat.

?

Am I missing something here? We'd present a helluva resistance, but to think that we are partially or completely unconquerable is hubris of the first degree. That approach has ended very badly for numerous prior civilizations and/or states.

-Nate

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Am I missing something here? We'd present a helluva resistance, but to think that we are partially or completely unconquerable is hubris of the first degree. That approach has ended very badly for numerous prior civilizations and/or states.

But it also works. As attributed to Stalin, "Quantity has a quality all its own."

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Sweet. Hunters.

v.

Group maneuvers, tanks, arty, airstrikes, ballistic missiles, snipers, mines,...all the way down to real hand-to-hand combat.

?

-Nate

I dunno Afghanistan has been kickin *** a loooooong time now, what are they called again.. oh ya... "Graveyard of Empires".

So far nobody has wanted to even test the theory with us.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not sure how accurate that number can be. I know tons of guys who say they are hunters and haven't ventured into the fields or woods for years. Base it on licenses sold? Even if the number is somewhat accurate what is that ad trying to say? Somehow these people who own a gun and may or may not shoot it once a year are going to be opposition to an invading force?

At some point, a conquering force has to conquer the citizens. An unarmed citizenry is conquered with the defeat of its government since it has no options. With an armed society, not only does the conqueror have to defeat the government, but also the citizens, who have more options to decide how difficult that task will be.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    There's probably a lot of overlap, but if you could figure out a way to combine that hunter information with the rise in concealed carry numbers, it could be even more impressive looking.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Cute but completely false link. Hunters =/= standing army.

You might as well throw in people who own boots = standing army, because every army wears boots.

The firearms in America only provide a single, extremely necessary tool to fuel an insurgency. Of far greater importance is a sense of tremendous nationalism or ethnic pride that provides the will to struggle against an invading force. Ireland had this with nationalism. Afghanistan has had this with tribal pride. Back in the 50's America had this with nationalism. Today, I am not so sure.

Regards,

Doug

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sweet. Hunters.

v.

?

-Nate

There are a group of people in southern Asia that are barely beyond the stone age that have given several "great civilizations" a helluva time. Just sayin'...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well those are certainly valid points, I concede that.

I still think that the propaganda poster above is WAY overstated for the ability of your average hunter Dave to bring war...at least in this part of the country. I've seen too many of them shoot...

-Nate

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Liked it as well. The "Americans Buy Enough Guns" statement though gives fodder to the anti-gun activists regarding the volume of guns out there...but it's a great statistic regarding the freedoms that exist here that many countries don't have as well.

So, it would be like trying to disarm both the Russian and Chinese standing armies. How safe would that attempt make them feel. As our leaders strip our military we take up the slack.

Sweet. Hunters.

v.

? Afghanistan? Viet Nam? North Korea? Moro? Zulu (large standing army if not modern weapons)? Boxers? Oh, I almost forgot our Revolution, was that 3%?

-Nate

I love history. Please tell me the nations that have had complete freedom of arms for their populace, I don't remember reading about those. I do remember a few who had the hubris to believe that their standing armies were sufficient to conquer nations or the world. Neither in order nor complete, Romans, British in India, Transvaal, France, America, Napoleon, Kaiser Wilhelm and Hitler.

There are a group of people in southern Asia that are barely beyond the stone age that have given several "great civilizations" a helluva time. Just sayin'...

At some point, a conquering force has to conquer the citizens. An unarmed citizenry is conquered with the defeat of its government since it has no options. With an armed society, not only does the conqueror have to defeat the government, but also the citizens, who have more options to decide how difficult that task will be.

I dunno Afghanistan has been kickin *** a loooooong time now, what are they called again.. oh ya... "Graveyard of Empires".

So far nobody has wanted to even test the theory with us.

Not a hunter, but I'll cook whatever you can spare. I do have the principle "from my cold dead hands" and remember there were less than a dozen Wolverines.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I love history. Please tell me the nations that have had complete freedom of arms for their populace, I don't remember reading about those. I do remember a few who had the hubris to believe that their standing armies were sufficient to conquer nations or the world. Neither in order nor complete, Romans, British in India, Transvaal, France, America, Napoleon, Kaiser Wilhelm and Hitler.

What am I missing? Rome seemed pretty successful in conquering whatever they wanted. The British ruled India until it was no longer able to administer it. America? Hitler was an idiot and didn't listen to his generals. I don't think any of them had the realistic intention of ruling the world. The world is simply to vast a place for one nation to administer.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    "You can not invade the mainland United States, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Early Appleseed at Red Brush. Pic was in the newspaper

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "You can not invade America, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Early Appleseed at Red Brush. Pic was in the newspaper

I wonder how true that quote would actually be. Wasn't too long ago people were talking about how great Putin was. I wonder how many would fall in line if he promised to invade simple to depose Obama, restore the Confederate battle flag, and imprison liberals?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Somehow these people who own a gun and may or may not shoot it once a year are going to be opposition to an invading force?

Yes...Throughout history regular Joe's who rarely get out to hunt, train or shoot (too busy taking care of the family) have taken up arms and fought and (many times defeated invading forces...or at least put up a heck of a fight...)

Never underestimate the strength and will of someone fighting for their home.....Every month in American Rifleman's "Armed Citizen" column we get a taste of what regular folks are capable of when they feel they or their family are threatened....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wasn't too long ago people were talking about how great Putin was. I wonder how many would fall in line if he promised to invade simple to depose Obama, restore the Confederate battle flag, and imprison liberals?

I would estimate 320,000 million or so.......The same number there would be if Putin (a hard line communist) would have came in to depose Bush, bathe the White House in a Rainbow glow, and throw Christians and Conservatives in jail....All of those Liberal haters who watched the film showing Bush being assassinated, want to burn down businesses because the owners believe marriage is between a man and a woman, shoot up the Family Research Council's office etc.....I believe they would take up arms to prevent Putin's invasion...Even though they may like communism...

Once the threat was over they may go back to their vitriol and spewing hate......But I believe in my heart of hearts they would defend this land from an invasion by Putin in spite of their hatred of Christians, Conservatives, and unborn children....I really believe that but I have faith in my fellow Americans...Especially the ones that I disagree with....

I guess the assumption is "enemy of my enemy is my friend" but I don't think Americans are that shallow...Charlie Daniels summed it up once in a song....

"Now we may have done a little bit of fighting
    amongst ourselves...But you outside people best leave us alone..
    Because we'll all stick together...You can take that to the bank...
    That's the cowboy's and Hippie's and the Rebel's and the Yank's
    You just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steeler's Fan..
    And I think your going to finally understand..."

"In America"

Now I may be a naive hillbilly...But I believe this to my very core...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom