• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    This isn't the same as the other Walmart threads and is not a dupe: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/27/b...ales-of-assault-rifles-in-us-stores.html?_r=0

Walmart, the nation’s largest seller of guns and ammunition, attributed its decision to lower consumer demand for such military-style rifles, not gun politics. It said that it was adding to its offerings of shotguns and other weapons used by hunters.

Basically it sounds like this isn't a political thing, but rather a demand thing. I don't think my local Wally world has "assault style rifles" besides airsoft guns. The actual rifles appear to be for hunting that they do offer.

I think this is a good move really. Go support your local gun shop or a good online retailer if you want fun guns.

MacAttack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2015
    Under your bed
    I think this is a good move really. Go support your local gun shop or a good online retailer if you want fun guns.

Same here. If Wal-Mart really is getting rid of them because they aren't selling enough or fast enough, I'm not going to fault them for that. It's simply good business on their part.

And seconded on the LGS instead of Wal-Mart of the other "big-box" retailers. Do your research and find the right one, and you can save time and money, and even get things that they don't carry. I'm sure that you'd have an easier time getting a hard to find gun or part through a LGS than someone like Gander.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This thread is boring, everyone is being reasonable. So I'm going to give you take on it that might sound familiar:

Wal-Mart is stomping all over my second Ammendment rights, I can't believe they would stoop to such a level as to fail so badly and they should go back and read the constitution, because it clearly states that they have to sell me whatever guns I want otherwise my rights are totally being violated by these fascists who think they know what's best instead of doing the right thing and realizing that being able to buy guns and frozen pizza at the same time is a god-given right that is protected by the constitution!

Oh, and, it's state law!

Thats better.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This thread is boring, everyone is being reasonable. So I'm going to give you take on it that might sound familiar:

Wal-Mart is stomping all over my second Ammendment rights, I can't believe they would stoop to such a level as to fail so badly and they should go back and read the constitution, because it clearly states that they have to sell me whatever guns I want otherwise my rights are totally being violated by these fascists who think they know what's best instead of doing the right thing and realizing that being able to buy guns and frozen pizza at the same time is a god-given right that is protected by the constitution!

Oh, and, it's state law!

Thats better.

WalMart is evil. They hate puppies and Americans. Boycott! Jade Helm!!!!!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This isn't the same as the other Walmart threads and is not a dupe: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/27/b...ales-of-assault-rifles-in-us-stores.html?_r=0

Basically it sounds like this isn't a political thing, but rather a demand thing. I don't think my local Wally world has "assault style rifles" besides airsoft guns. The actual rifles appear to be for hunting that they do offer.

As I said in the other thread about this, it's about the cash flow. The CFO is doing his job.

ITS OFFICIAL: Wal-Mart Abandons AR-15 Shooters For Good! - The Firearm Blog
    :laugh:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    HUH, so the USA's largest and arguably the leader of the retail trade can't seem to sell the most popular firearm in the country? I'm gonna have to go with this being more of a political decision that a business one. Seen them advertising any AR-15's, seems like if they wanted to sell them they would try to market them....but I'm here in South Bend where they already agreed to NOT sell them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    HUH, so the USA's largest and arguably the leader of the retail trade can't seem to sell the most popular firearm in the country? I'm gonna have to go with this being more of a political decision that a business one. Seen them advertising any AR-15's, seems like if they wanted to sell them they would try to market them....but I'm here in South Bend where they already agreed to NOT sell them.
    Have you paid attention to the AR market? I know the Valpo Walmart really only started selling them after Sandy Hook, when demand was so high and supply was so low. Now supply is high and demand is down. If they are selling more non-AR stuff it makes sense to clear out the ARs and make room for other guns and accessories.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Had a similar discussion within our conservation club when deciding on a rifle to raffle at the fair. Our club never sells its tickets because they always buy a sucky gun. So a group of us wanted an AR. Aurgument against the AR was that Chippy the pawn shop guy told the officers that ARs weren't selling and people didn't want them. BS!!!! People who want an AR already own one. No reason to buy your craptastic over priced pawn stars AR Chippy. Guess what we sold every ticket and had to stop sales to have some at the fair itself. Black rifles and plastic pistols are hot! But the market is saturated with no incentive to buy right now. But for the right price..........

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Walmart is known to negotiate with manufacturers regarding their product specifications in an effort to get a cheaper product. I'd NEVER buy a gun from them. Especially an AR. Who knows what specs are different from standard models. I wouldn't put it past them to negotiate cheaper BCG's, barrels, etc...

I'm willing to bet that's why people don't buy their AR's from Wally world. The consumer these days is much more educated, and less willing to put up with that kind of crap.

MacAttack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2015
    Under your bed

Even if the AR is a hot product, if Wal-mart thinks they can make more money off of a different product, they'll go for the money. Let's not forget that the only thing the Walton kids care about at this point is making money. Sure PR may enter into it, but the #1 concern here is making money. And the bad part is with Wal-Mart, they could produce their internal forecasts for sales and profits with and without selling the AR, and you still won't believe it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Having shopped at WalMarts in other states, I have found WalMart to be very much like any LGS. The stock what sells in their market. No retailer on the planet wants to store products on their shelves. If it ain't selling, it's stupid to have it for sale. This is exactly why WalMart is the success they are. For example: We routinely shop at a WalMart in Sterling, CO when we are in that area prairie dogging. They have all the usual clothes, groceries, etc. but they also have guns, ammo, reloading components, dies, presses, targets and sell hunting/fishing licenses. The gun counter employees are as knowledgeable and helpful as many I've met at a gun shop. Why is that? Because the market in which they exist supports the effort. Wouldn't happen in many places but it sure works there.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    One: what are "military-style" and "assault-style" rifles? Those terms have no meaning, and can equally apply to AirSoft rifles, or water guns as they can to AR15s.

Two: I have never considered buying a firearm of any type at WalMart, so I honestly couldn't care less. I go to WalMart as infrequently as possible.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Unfortunately chip, they do have meaning. Definition changes over time whether we like it or not. Gay. Queer. Marriage. Once assault weapon is an AR-15 in the publics eye, the definition in an old army manual becomes increasingly irrelevant.

One: what are "military-style" and "assault-style" rifles? Those terms have no meaning, and can equally apply to AirSoft rifles, or water guns as they can to AR15s.

Two: I have never considered buying a firearm of any type at WalMart, so I honestly couldn't care less. I go to WalMart as infrequently as possible.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Unfortunately chip, they do have meaning. Definition changes over time whether we like it or not. Gay. Queer. Marriage. Once assault weapon is an AR-15 in the publics eye, the definition in an old army manual becomes increasingly irrelevant.

No, they don't. "Military-style" and "assault-style" have no objective meaning whatsoever.

Of course, you're welcome to prove me wrong, and provide the objective definitions of these two terms. *grin*

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What is the big deal? We all know that Walmart only buys cheap stuff, so the gun you get at Walmart is of lower quality than the same model you get at the LGS.

Top Bottom